Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've had my Forte EX 2010 for over 6 months now. And i love it.
However, within these 6 months, someone broke in the car twice.
Both time, they didn't do any damages to break in.
It looks like if I would have forgot to lock the doors.
But I'm positive i didn't.
I thought the lock system was really secure now with these kind of keys.
Any idea on how they get in without breaking windows or doors??
Is there any kind of 'universal' key going around?
First time, they took my GPS only, they did not take my ipod cable or my cds.
Second time, i don't think they took anything (i didn't have a GPS or anything else with much value, but i still had a dozen of cds in the glove department).
I'm thinking about buying an alarm system now.
And for sure, trying not keep anything with value in it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi,
I've had my Forte EX 2010 for over 6 months now. And i love it.
However, within these 6 months, someone broke in the car twice.
Both time, they didn't do any damages to break in.
It looks like if I would have forgot to lock the doors.
But I'm positive i didn't.
I thought the lock system was really secure now with these kind of keys.
Any idea on how they get in without breaking windows or doors??
Is there any kind of 'universal' key going around?
First time, they took my GPS only, they did not take my ipod cable or my cds.
Second time, i don't think they took anything (i didn't have a GPS or anything else with much value, but i still had a dozen of cds in the glove department).
I'm thinking about buying an alarm system now.
And for sure, trying not keep anything with value in it.

Thank you!
I don't know this for a fact but I can speculate on what happened. If you used the remote while the thieves were within a short distance they might have picked up the signal and gotten the "code" that unlocked the car. Alternatively, they could have used one of the devices that goes down inside the doors to unlock the doors.

If you accidentally unlock the doors while putting the keys in your pocket the car should re lock itself after about a 1/2 minute or so. What I would suggest is that you press the lock button when you are a reasonable distance from the vehicle and get the horn beep which tells you it is locked then you will know for certain that all doors are locked. I found out the other day that the hatchback was not locked and secured when I couldn't get it to beep. This is not evident to the naked eye. For the time being I would rely on the reassuring beep.

If you think that someone has the "codes" to your key fob your dealer should be able to reprogram it so the thieves no longer have it. If they are not "thieves" themselves the cost should be nominal.

I think it already has an alarm system built it. That's what the flashing light on the dash is for. Note: I guess I am wrong about that. There is no flashing light I could see nor could find in the owner's manual. ???????????????? I thought all cars hat those nowadays.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Bimdy do you have the sedan or Koup? The Koup has frameless doors which are definitely not as secure as the sedan. This might help anyone that has knowledge in this area.

·
Registered
536 Posts
They could be using the ol' blood pressure cuff trick....works like a charm, and leaves no damage. Easy entry into most cars!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
... If they are not "thieves" themselves the cost should be nominal ...
LMAO^... A similar incident happened to my neighbor at work. He got out of his car (2010 Fusion) and locked the doors, started walking way and heard them unlock. He re-locked the doors, didn't think much about it and started walking, and they unlocked AGAIN. So he stopped, looked around and saw a suspicious white van with people in it. He notified security, they approached the van and it took off before they could ask any questions.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,852 Posts
The koup is easy to break in to...the sheriffs department broke into my car with in 10 seconds...then towed it :(
You always have wild stories...I'm going to start the microwave popcorn...that should give you enough time to fill us in on this one...LoL!!!

2,213 Posts
This one is easy!!! I had outstanding parking tickets on my old car, but the DMV was sending them to my old address so I never got them. So NYC decided to start a new law that if you have out standing tickets totaling more then $200 they tow your car. It was actually a random check. I parked my car, sheriffs department drove by the block, scanned all the tags on every car on the block and mine came up with outstanding tickets. The crappy part...they take every kind of credit card except visa! All my cc's are visa! Had to call my pops to come bail me out! lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
If these guys have done it twice already then it's time to get a real alarm like a viper. Stock car alarms don't really do anything unless something hard hits them.

Chances are they are using a Jay hook or "Jimmy". Slide it into the window, push to the side and jerk up. Good crook or cop can do this in 5 to 10 seconds. Since they didn't steal the car or parts from it they are obviously just looking for pawn shop style items in the vehicles they break into (hence your missing gps).

At this point they know your car is easy money so they will check it from time to time because it's easy and they can. Only option is to get a real alarm system. One that has sensors for the doors, windows etc. This way when they try it again the alarm will go off as soon as the lock is touched. Chances are it's just some small time crooks and a loud alarm going off before the door opens should help to keep them away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for your answers.
Missourimule: you're right, there isn't a flashing light for alarm system in my car. :( I now wish i had one! Also, to your point, I always make sure i hear the 'honk' when i lock my doors. Your knowledge about the possibility that they might have picked up my key code while using my key is interesting. I was not aware of that possibility. I will call my dealer to see how much it cost to get my code reprogrammed.
Subtlestyle: I have the Sedan. I heard that sometimes cars have a 'known' issue - ex: Give a good punch on a specific place in the car and the doors unlock (I forgot which car it was)
That's why i thought of asking here if anyone had heard of something for the kia forte.
Killed in Action: Thanks for giving us the detail of your story :p
Flash: I do think you're right. It has to be the same guys - both times they made the same kind of mess, all my papers in the compartments were all over my seats and no interests for my CDS. And i do listen to good music! Actually, last time, out of my dozen cds, they took only one.
I will go shop for Alarm System now. It's too annoying.
Thanks everyone for your inputs!
Next dilemma will be: should i buy the alarm system combined with a remote smarter....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thank you guys for your answers.
Missourimule: you're right, there isn't a flashing light for alarm system in my car. :( I now wish i had one! Also, to your point, I always make sure i hear the 'honk' when i lock my doors. Your knowledge about the possibility that they might have picked up my key code while using my key is interesting. I was not aware of that possibility. I will call my dealer to see how much it cost to get my code reprogrammed.
Subtlestyle: I have the Sedan. I heard that sometimes cars have a 'known' issue - ex: Give a good punch on a specific place in the car and the doors unlock (I forgot which car it was)
That's why i thought of asking here if anyone had heard of something for the kia forte.
Killed in Action: Thanks for giving us the detail of your story :p
Flash: I do think you're right. It has to be the same guys - both times they made the same kind of mess, all my papers in the compartments were all over my seats and no interests for my CDS. And i do listen to good music! Actually, last time, out of my dozen cds, they took only one.
I will go shop for Alarm System now. It's too annoying.
Thanks everyone for your inputs!
Next dilemma will be: should i buy the alarm system combined with a remote smarter....
I'm really glad you raised this question last night. Stupidly, I assumed that we did have an anti-theft system built in since there was that "bubble" on the dash. All of my previous cars had it and one can tell it is on by the blinking light. When I didn't see it on mine and I thought I had everything being that it was the 5 door SX model. Was I ever surprised!! This also probably explains the increased insurance premiums.

I'd be interested in what you finally come up with and the cost. My own personal view is that the remote starter is probably not necessary, however depending on where you live it may be desirable. Where I live theft is not a big deal and I don't mind using the "old-fashioned" key starter. I don't see the appeal of the push button starting but that is just a personal opinion.

If a person wants to gain entry into a car or a home they will succeed if they are determined to do so. I've had two houses burgled and one battery stolen out of my parked car. But that didn't have the inside opener. But a person could easily break out a window which is even worse because of the mess and the cost involved.

I've had home burglary systems but they are more trouble than helpful. I've never had any issues with car anti-theft systems and suspect they tend to move thieves to easier targets. They can always get in if they are determined enough.

I don't really get the obsession with GPS units though. They are a dime a dozen today anyway. I guess they didn't like your taste in music though.

What I always do is to park in well lighted places and in good neighborhoods. Being in bad neighborhoods and in poor lighting is a tempting target for thieves. These creeps are at heart imbeciles and budding jail birds anyway.

I'd be interested in the final cost of this project. I'm glad you brought it up. I didn't know I didn't have one as standard equipment. I just called the dealer and the salesman didn't have a clue why it didn't have it. Perhaps someone here who knows this issue can speak to it and bring all of us up to speed. Frankly I was blind-sided.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Get the kind of alarm that will also alert you from the key fob. I'm sure they're more expensive but if you can afford it I would say it's the better choice.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Get the kind of alarm that will also alert you from the key fob. I'm sure they're more expensive but if you can afford it I would say it's the better choice.
That's a two way alarm. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts