Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from South Africa

Buying my first new car in a couple days, and seriously considering the 2.0l manual Forte sedan (Cerato here - I think the equivalent to your SX?), along with it's normal competitors. I took them all for testdrives, and on the face of it, I'm getting the Kia.

Was just wondering if there are any people here that have had theirs for over 10 000mil yet? It's all well and good saying the car is awesome after a month or 2, but it really should be at that point :D!

Longer term, how is the fit & finish etc? Also wondering if Kia did some kind of modifications between 09 and '10 cars, because I read about tinny(ish) sounding door closing, but the ones I testdrove sounded pretty solid. Also, that the throttle pedal had dead initial travel, but both I tested were great (if a bit light). So any idea of 'fixes' done?

Look forward to hearing some advice. Like I said, first new car and very excited - But also worried about mistakes (like everyone else I guess).

Another thing; I travel on some pothole-ridden roads - The car did feel a little harsh at the back, expecially compared to our model (Europe-spec) Focus; I've considered fitting slightly higher profile tyres to help cushion - Suggestions whether this is a good idea (gearing implications etc)?

Long first post; sorry all!!!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I've had mine for 5 months and almost 7000 miles and I still love it. It runs better than when I bought it (thanks turbokits). I wasn't in the market for a new car as I was loving the no car payment. But I'm thrilled with the purchase.

We have some rough roads here in my area / pot holes galore and the sx does ride a tad harsh however I just try to avoid those roads /potholes

Good luck with your choice and purchase

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
14k using nitrous every friday and sat for the pass 3months no problems yet...

·
Registered
139 Posts
9k, closing on 3months, just a minor squeak ive put off going back to the dealer to get fixed (they say they know what it is, i just need to get time to go in)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses - Hope I'm going to get a good one. And hoping the bloody shop has a titanium silver one for me :)
Just the finance house being utterly useless, otherwise I'd be well on my way to being a Cerato owner!

Beast, um.... what's a turbokit? Not trying to be stupid (comes naturally hehe), is it an actual turbo?

(search function here I come!).

edit: okay, not a turbo (whew), and I'm assuming CAI is Cold Air Intake? Hmm... wonder if this is available in South Africa? Or maybe I can just get a suitable cone filter and make my own. Went to their site, US$249, pretty steep considering I'm actually buying a 'budget' car because I'm on a..... well, budget hehehe!

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
I've had my SX sedan (2.4l auto) for 9 months and 24,000 kms. The only issues have been a bad stereo unit (quickly replaced) and a squeaky noise in the sunroof (fixed as per service bulletin), otherwise everything is perfect and I love my car!

Did I mention I love my car?!:D

·
Registered
576 Posts
http://www.caradvice.com.au/43297/kia-cerato-long-term-update-3/ if you look at this artical in local magazine it might be useful. I'm very happy with my Koup I traded my Cerato 4 door sedan in for it, no problems with both cars. The accelerator pedal is a little too light but you get use to it after a while.
They are a bit rougher over rough roads or broken bitumen compaired to your Ford Focus but the car still feels tight in the suspension, the back end is a little bit too taught but I'm use to it now.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
edit: okay, not a turbo (whew), and I'm assuming CAI is Cold Air Intake? Hmm... wonder if this is available in South Africa? Or maybe I can just get a suitable cone filter and make my own. Went to their site, US$249, pretty steep considering I'm actually buying a 'budget' car because I'm on a..... well, budget hehehe!
Glad you found the info. You can also build your own for less however I'm thrilled with the turbokits. With the tk, it comes with all the mounts, brackets etc. Simple instructions and no guessing and proven results.

If you want to build your own rpps has a thread about his which he built his own and I'm sure he can help you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I'm very keen to get it. Asshat bank is giving me hassles, they've 'lost' my documentation. Twice.

Did I mention I love my car?!
I must mention I love your car too - The blue is by far my favourite (red next), but I'd have to wait over a month for them to get either, and I need another car soon. Sold my bike for a fantastic deal (couldn't pass it up) and now stuck without transport (when my Wife doesn't feel like giving me a lift), which isn't pleasant. I've had to be real good and pack the dishwasher at night etc just to not have to walk to work :eek:.

The dealers here only have the Silvers and white, so I've decided on the Titanium.

Even more so than having to walk (okay, it was only once, and it WAS my fault ;)), just not having the car is bloody frustrating!

I'll check with the dealer if a CAI affects warranty in any way. Can they detect you had one if you put everything back to normal for services?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Incidentally, one of our motoring mags have tested the 1.6 (93kw) sedan, as well as the 2.0 (114kw) Koup.
The acceleration from 0 tests show the 2.0 being quicker, but their overtaking tests show them to be near as dammit, or the 1.6 winning slightly.

Very strange. I know gearing, weight and aero affect issues, but really, the 1.6 looks to do fantastically well comparatively. Or that the 2.0 seems gutless.

Tested weight was 1216kg for the sedan, and 1260kg for the Koup. They haven't tested the 2.0 sedan yet, so don't know how much that weighs.

Just a worry, because I'm on that budget, and one of the reasons I'm going for the 2.0 is because of family of 4, lots of luggage often, high altitudes etc. But maybe the 1.6 is just better value for money. The extras the 2.0 gets are just nice-to-haves. Guess a testdrive in the 1.6 is in order.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bit the bullet, and buying my first new car. Ordered this baby around 60min ago - 2.0l ( sx equivalent - all the toys :) ) in titanium silver!!!

I'm hoping against hope that she'll be ready for me tomorrow. The family has a long trip planned for the weekend, and I'm praying we can do it in the new car!

Irritatingly ( ;) ), this was parked right next to it.

Now I'll never regret getting married and having kids, but I wish they had been more accomodating and let me get that!
But I'm over the moon with my (soon) 4-door :D :D :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had my SX for 4 months (bought it 3/31), have around 9700 miles on it. So far, no major issues. I have the occasional passenger side door rattle if there's heavy bass in the music, a slight vibration occasionally when its cool out and car has sat all night (feels like a tire out of balance) that goes away after driving for a few miles, and a few minor issues, but nothing major.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Congrats on the new car! I was all smiles when my dad closed the deal.

I've had it for four weeks and have put 500 miles on it already. :p

And yours is actually the same as our EX. The SX has the 2.4L and a 6 speed M/T.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts