Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
Just picked up my car last week :) 4dr sx they brought it in from Ottawa Canada.
Iv been poking over it and though I swear the dealer mentioned a block heater I cannot find it either on the car nor in the manual. I was curious if anyone may have an opinion where they may have hidden the cord. I just asked them about installing one and they admitted they had no clue how many hours it would take them but with the guesimate of 2 hrs + $85 of block heater and cords it would be around $265 CDN + tax :eek: gotta say I dont want one THAT bad lol

forteshadow

·
Registered
405 Posts
Where are you in Canada ?

Personally, i'm in Northern Quebec and my LX came with the heater from the dealer. The cord may be hidden under the air ram or somewhere like that, or behind the headlight ?. I know that a always have it in my ways when i open the hood.

;)

And i'm not sure if i'll use mine ! Maybe at -25 and below...
Never did :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Never heard nothin bout no block heater on no forte I be ownin. Lol im bored

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Randyqg - so that must mean you have one then :)

Iv looked around, even to the point of looking under the car for the cord leading to the block but no dice.

I live In kingston but the car came from Ottawa

·
Registered
436 Posts
A cheaper and more effective method is to mount a magnetic heater to the side of the oil pan. Warm oil is much more beneficial to a cold engine than warm coolant. I used one, in combination with an electric battery blanket, throughout my 17-year stay in northern Wyoming....very effective.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
A block heater installed in your forte should not cost more than $150 dollars and that is being on the high side. I have been told several times at 2 different dealerships, (sudbury & mississauga) it is like a 15min job. It actually slide into the block and like 1 screw to hold it.

Ps. From ottawa car should have a block heater already I believe...as every car north of barrie get one installed in ontario.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thats totally what my research turned up! The "service mgr" claimed it was a frost plug design,(read a book) lol. Im currently looking into one of those 150W self adhesive heat pads to stick on the pan. I figured the dealer was just going to plug the cord into the already installed block heater and just charge me full price. either way my engine is going to be warm :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've got this info on here somewhere else, but I'm faster at typing than searching, so here goes...

Fortes (and the entire Theta engine family) use a dry type block heater that warms the actual block itself, so both the oil and coolant (along with all those wonderful little metal pieces in there, too) get the benefits. Cords should be sitting on top of the left side headlight, or just in behind, by the battery. It's got black loom on it, so it looks a lot like all the other cords in there... so have a good look.

Kia Canada actually provides a small bit of Velcro to fix the cord end to the top of the headlight so it's easy to get to, and stays out of the way. Whether the tech does this or not, I cannot say. Cost of the parts is $65-90 depending on market and kit used, and labour is um... yeah it's not that big of a deal to do but most dealers charge a flat-rate for all block heaters, regardless of ease. It's how we do it, too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats good news, thanks for sharing. They have said the heater itself was $44 and the cord $46. the labour is where we had defering opinions, resarch is still ongoing but at this point I dont believe I have one. Where is the location of the slot in the block?

thx

·
Registered
348 Posts
It goes in from just above the bell housing, at the rear of the block, to the left hand side. So... if you are standing facing your car, and look down at the throttle body, it's just in behind it (but very hard to see from that angle... so look from above).

If you look from above, as photographed here, you'll see the orange colour of the heater's end sticking out between all the lines. The loom you can see there is also it's cord, so just follow that to find the end of the cord.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heater

Thanks a tonne for all the help guys, took a look and could not find any orange plug or accosiated wires so at this point I dont think I have one. I did find a circular hole where it looks to go ( bout as big around as a quarter) is that perhaps where it goes? If so I can see why labour isnt really a big deal lol

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yup, that's the spot. And it's not a big deal... the block heater comes with instructions with real pictures even... so you know where it goes... you have instructions on how to install it... *hint*hint*.

Just buy the part.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I had thought that all Canadian models came with a block heater. Is that just for certain provinces?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had thought that all Canadian models came with a block heater. Is that just for certain provinces?
I would have thought so too. On a side note CT/NAPA sells the inline coolant heaters which work very well. They circulate the heated coolant though the engine, does a way better job, in my opionion. On a cold day it's like instant heat when you turn on the car.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Generally the 'rule' is that if you can reasonably expect the temperature overnight to go below -10C, then you will want a block heater. So places like Vancouver and Windsor don't 'really' need them... the car will not see a temp below -35C.

And really, 99% of the rest of Canada doesn't need to plug theirs in unless the temp will be lower than -10C. When I park outside I use a little thermostat/timer combination and it only turns the heater on once it's too cold out. Sure it's only a 400W heater, but that's about $1 a night if it runs for the entire 14 hours I'm home. That adds up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would have thought so too. On a side note CT/NAPA sells the inline coolant heaters which work very well. They circulate the heated coolant though the engine, does a way better job, in my opionion. On a cold day it's like instant heat when you turn on the car.
I appreciate having instant heat when it's 40 below but I would rather the block and oil be heated up so the engine is properly lubricated. That being said I have heard of people using both a in-line coolant heater and oil pan heater together.

When I park outside I use a little thermostat/timer combination and it only turns the heater on once it's too cold out. Sure it's only a 400W heater, but that's about $1 a night if it runs for the entire 14 hours I'm home. That adds up.
Right now I use a timer to run the block heater for 2-3 hours before I leave for work in the morning and only on nights that I need it.

In my previous car I used to use an in-car heater as well so I could drive away with minimal idling and save me 5-10 mins not scraping windows / brushing snow off!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Generally the 'rule' is that if you can reasonably expect the temperature overnight to go below -10C, then you will want a block heater. So places like Vancouver and Windsor don't 'really' need them... the car will not see a temp below -35C.

And really, 99% of the rest of Canada doesn't need to plug theirs in unless the temp will be lower than -10C. When I park outside I use a little thermostat/timer combination and it only turns the heater on once it's too cold out. Sure it's only a 400W heater, but that's about $1 a night if it runs for the entire 14 hours I'm home. That adds up.
I have seen cycling timers that apply power for a set amount of minutes per hour and such. Shouldn't need to keep the block heater consistently on when your not using the car during those early hours or whatever your usage is. I guess ideally having it apply power an hour or so before leaving for work would save the most. But if you need to unexpectedly use it then not so good so just cycling for 20 minutes on and off would help.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't get this. When the oil in cold, its thick so when the engine is started after sitting for a few days, it's metal on metal till the oil gets to where it needs to go. A warm engine has less friction on moving parts. Bragging rights on how cold it gets and your car started without being pluged in is just plain silly if not stupid. The few pennies a day to plug in your car is like money in bank when it comes to the life or your engine and repair bills. For me anything colder than -10 I plug in, why take the chance of scoring your block walls and wearing out the bearing pre-mature?

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I don't get this. When the oil in cold, its thick so when the engine is started after sitting for a few days, it's metal on metal till the oil gets to where it needs to go. A warm engine has less friction on moving parts. Bragging rights on how cold it gets and your car started without being pluged in is just plain silly if not stupid. The few pennies a day to plug in your car is like money in bank when it comes to the life or your engine and repair bills. For me anything colder than -10 I plug in, why take the chance of scoring your block walls and wearing out the bearing pre-mature?
It's not metal on metal. Oil clings to the metal surfaces unless you have had it sitting for a long time for it to dry out. I also run syth so it isn't near as thick and pumps quickly even in cold.

What you shouldn't do is put the engine under stress right after starting it without enough time for oil to flow and lubricate. Chick that parks in a stall close to mine jumps in and is in gear about a 2 seconds after starting the engine. She goes to work same time as me so there's no way that car warmed up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts