Kia Forte Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a brand new 2017 Forte LX in April of 2017. Since then the front left and right rear door exterior door handles have come off in my hands.The right rear was repaired in December and broke off again this week. think the problem is with the plastic knob that holds the handle in place.

The dealer says the parts come in from Korea unpainted and have to get sent to the body shop to be painted, so it takes at least a week for a door handle.

Has anybody else had problems with their door handles?

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
I've owned 9 Hyundai/Kia cars both new and used and the only door handle that ever broke was hit by a baseball in the parking lot of my sons baseball game. It's an easy fix yourself, even painting it. This isn't a Forte but the procedure is the same for most if not all Hyundai/Kias.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Nope, never here...
Total of 30k miles between two Fortes 5 SX

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a brand new 2017 Forte LX in April of 2017. Since then the front left and right rear door exterior door handles have come off in my hands.The right rear was repaired in December and broke off again this week. think the problem is with the plastic knob that holds the handle in place.

The dealer says the parts come in from Korea unpainted and have to get sent to the body shop to be painted, so it takes at least a week for a door handle.

I have a 2017 Kia Forte and my

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,142 Posts
A symptom of "gorilla hands"?

Honestly I've never broken a door handle!

• Haha
Reactions: KBMACD

·
Administrator
693 Posts
I see a lot of cars with broken handles here in the winter. The issue is when the door is frozen shut and people yank the handle super hard, on top of the plastic already being weaker with the colder temps. I did this once in my old 2004 Tiburon and since that day, if the door is frozen shut, I pull gently on the handle to try to pry it open a bit and then get my fingers in-between the metal of the door and body and yank it that way. If I really can't get it to budge at all, I try my luck with the other side and if I can get in, I push the door from the inside.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yep. We have very cold temperatures up here in QC. Lately it went down to -30 C (-22 F). Easy does it, do not yank on the handle. I never broke one. One 2014 and 2015 Forte.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2018 forte with 100k and the back handle did break about 6 months ago . It was the plastic cap and not the handle but caused the whole handle to come off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.