Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just purchased my 2016 Forte5 SX last week and will be moving from Denver to Cincinnati next month, and purchased a Reese Towpower Hitch Class 1 part 77290 online from pepboys. I realized after purchase that I have dual exhaust and google searched and did not see any 2014-2016 Forte 5 SX with a hitch. Just a pre 13 SX Koup with solo exhaust towing a popup camper. The Pepboys site only asked my model and engine size. I attempted to verify with both Uhaul and Pepboys, neither had any info other than what their online sites says, but nothing in detail. Uhaul said that their hitch was listed for the 2014-2016 EX, LX and SX.

I am going to be towing a 4X8 (850lbs) or 5x8 (900)lbs Uhaul trailer with a king and full memory mattress and a few light but akward sized boxes, well less than 200lbs total, which is well under the 2000lb total weight limit for a class 1 hitch. I'm in the process of breaking the engine in, have 300 miles on it now, going to change the oil and then get it up to at least 2,000 miles before setting off.

Also, anyone know if there is a way to connect the trailer lights without cutting, solidering or in line crimping into the tail light harness? Seeing as this is brand new, and I will likely only tow a trailer once, (Sub $500 to tow vs a minimum of $1,300 to have a few items shipped) I don't really want to hack into the wiring of a brand new car.

Sorry for the million questions, just seeing if anyone has hooked up a tow-hitch and lights on their SX!!! Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Our owner's manual just outright says it's not recommended for towing at all. Car can only handle 849lbs of cargo(including passengers) to begin with. Tongue weight would subtract from that.

When I moved from Ohio to Portland area I used Amtrak Express Shipping out of the Cincinnati terminal to the Portland one. It was dirt cheap, just a couple hundred bucks for a pallet's worth of stuff and it beat us there by a day. Another option to consider.
http://transitized.com/2014/08/20/moved-across-country-amtrak/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Hardest part of the hitch installation is lowering the exhaust. The rubber mounts are tough to slide off the pins on the muffler. Other than that, it's just 4 bolts. I didn't install wiring, since I just use mine for a bike rack.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I know it is an old thread, but I have a hitch on my SX.
Curt, class 1 with plug in (no splice) lights controller.

It was pretty easy installation. The most time I spent was on getting the rubbers off the muffler. Or no, I take it back. The most time I spent was to find the best ball mount that would have enough rise.

I towed nearly 2000 lb with it. It was just OK.
Of course, it all comes with brain... the heavier the load, the slower you go and must anticipate everything. Braking with 2000 pounds on the back is not easy. Power to pull - more than plenty.

Reactions: JW.Finkler

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info. My Forté is equipped with a backup camera. If I add a hitch and vertical bicycle rack will I disable the backup camera or just limit its usefulness. I was thinking of adding a 1 1/4" Hitch mounted Bike Rack.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
When the rack is in place the camera still works fine, there's just a rack and bikes limiting your vision.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Forte 5 EX
27 Posts
Hey all,

Just purchased my 2016 Forte5 SX last week and will be moving from Denver to Cincinnati next month, and purchased a Reese Towpower Hitch Class 1 part 77290 online from pepboys. I realized after purchase that I have dual exhaust and google searched and did not see any 2014-2016 Forte 5 SX with a hitch. Just a pre 13 SX Koup with solo exhaust towing a popup camper. The Pepboys site only asked my model and engine size. I attempted to verify with both Uhaul and Pepboys, neither had any info other than what their online sites says, but nothing in detail. Uhaul said that their hitch was listed for the 2014-2016 EX, LX and SX.

I am going to be towing a 4X8 (850lbs) or 5x8 (900)lbs Uhaul trailer with a king and full memory mattress and a few light but akward sized boxes, well less than 200lbs total, which is well under the 2000lb total weight limit for a class 1 hitch. I'm in the process of breaking the engine in, have 300 miles on it now, going to change the oil and then get it up to at least 2,000 miles before setting off.

Also, anyone know if there is a way to connect the trailer lights without cutting, solidering or in line crimping into the tail light harness? Seeing as this is brand new, and I will likely only tow a trailer once, (Sub $500 to tow vs a minimum of $1,300 to have a few items shipped) I don't really want to hack into the wiring of a brand new car.

Sorry for the million questions, just seeing if anyone has hooked up a tow-hitch and lights on their SX!!! Thanks!!!!

Yeah I put a 26 foot gooseneck trailer on mine and hauled two cars and a golf car from New Port Richeyola, Fl. to El Paso, Texas. I cut a hole in the roof and put a hitchball there and went with it. She was a little sluggish at first but once we got on the open road she went from 3gph to 25.7 just like that. The total weight was about 6600 pounds I pulled with a 2016 EX. It rawked! When I got to Texas I took her to my buddy and had him bondo up the hole and the thing looks incredible! You can't tell I ever had anything cut into the roof!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts