Kia Forte Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month ago when I got my tires/rims switched back to summer, I was waiting and noticed a brochure on nitrogen. I read it and asked the guy at Fountain Tire about it. He said it was $39.95 to have it done and free top ups for life. I told him I'd think about it and went home and went on the net to find out more. Seems like all race cars use it and a lot of sport car enthusiasts. It has a lot of benefits, so when I went back to have my tires tightened I told him I wanted to have the Nitro. It was a different guy and surprise, surprise, he did it for free. Any one here have it? Any benefits that you've noticed?

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I am running 78.084% Nitrogen! :D

and these special additives as well

Oxygen (O2) 20.946%
Argon (Ar) 0.934%
Carbon dioxide (CO2) 0.0383 %
Neon (Ne) 0.001818 %
Helium (He) 0.000524 %
Methane (CH4) 0.0001745 %
Krypton (Kr) 0.000114%
Hydrogen (H2) 0.000055 %
There is also a varying amount of water vapor, depending on the altitude and conditions where it is measured

·
Registered
638 Posts
Lol, gotta love how the majority of the air we breath is nitrogen. I can't see just running pure nitrogen as having that much of an effect.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Lol, gotta love how the majority of the air we breath is nitrogen. I can't see just running pure nitrogen as having that much of an effect.

On daily driver vehicles there's really no huge advantage. However, there's a reason the military use Nitrogen in all aircraft tires. There's a definite advantage in high speed/performance tires.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Is should reduce the moisture in the air in the tires , water will take out tpms sensors if there is alot of it in the air in the tires, if you can get to over 95% nitro the longer they will last

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is should reduce the moisture in the air in the tires , water will take out tpms sensors if there is alot of it in the air in the tires, if you can get to over 95% nitro the longer they will last

That's pretty much the entire reason for aircraft using nitrogen. It's moisture free and eliminates the possiblity of ice chunks forming in the tires while at altitude and then landing the aircraft. Moisture is bad ju ju.....:eek:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yes it is the less water vapor in the tires the less they expand and contract with heat in the tires, they come up to operating temp faster and cool down faster, better for handeling and beating the crap out of the tires at speed

·
Registered
593 Posts
Air is 78% nitrogen and nitrogen in tires is 99.999% waste of time and money.

The reason they did it for free is where are you going to go each and every time you need to top off the tires? Then they have the opportunity to do additional work for a fee. It's simply a way for companies to make extra money. It serves no real purpose unless you drive your Forte in NASCAR.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
My dealership gave my nitrogen in my new tires. Basically my mechanic said that with nitrogen there isn't that much fluctuation with the pressure inside as compared to oxygen which fluctuates about 10 psi with cold and warm weather. At least that's what I remember, all I know is that I haven't had to fill up on N2 since I've had my new rims and tires. I love nitrogen :p

·
Registered
344 Posts
My dealership gave my nitrogen in my new tires. Basically my mechanic said that with nitrogen there isn't that much fluctuation with the pressure inside as compared to oxygen which fluctuates about 10 psi with cold and warm weather. At least that's what I remember, all I know is that I haven't had to fill up on N2 since I've had my new rims and tires. I love nitrogen :p
I noticed this exact process with our previous vehicle. The TPMS sensors would light up like christmas if I left it outside at night or was in a cooler climate. Here in AZ temps fluctuate up to 20-30 degrees between the low/high for the day. After nitrogen, never had a problem. Also completed a long roadtrip across middle america in the dead of winter in all kinds of temps and the psi was exactly the same in the end as when I left. It is true - it works, but don't pay too much for it...I paid an extra $15 for the lifetime on top of a $25 oil change from the dealer, and they rotated the tires. It was well worth it not having my wife stop and refill it everytime she took a roadtrip or if we left it outside overnight.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Your mechanic simply does not have a clue. Sorry.

I seldom have to fill up my tires with normal air. Of course I check them every couple of weeks as well. No matter what you put in them they should be checked. Toping them off might take me an extra 60 seconds.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That's pretty much the entire reason for aircraft using nitrogen. It's moisture free and eliminates the possiblity of ice chunks forming in the tires while at altitude and then landing the aircraft. Moisture is bad ju ju.....:eek:
Actually the main reason they use nitrogen in aircraft tires is so that the tire does not explode. Air is fuel to fire... nitrogen it not.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I got nitro straight from the dealer on the Koup.
I had nitro upgraded on my Honda CR-V after about 15k miles and I loved the improvements and lake of the TPMS sensor going off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Air is 78% nitrogen and nitrogen in tires is 99.999% waste of time and money.

The reason they did it for free is where are you going to go each and every time you need to top off the tires? Then they have the opportunity to do additional work for a fee. It's simply a way for companies to make extra money. It serves no real purpose unless you drive your Forte in NASCAR.
Actually it was my first visit to this tire dealership. The only thing I will have done there is tire/rim swaps and nitro top ups. I get all my mechanical work done at my Kia dealership. I can't see your reasoning in this case. :) (Though with their good service of giving me a freebie, I might get my next set of tires there....if the price is right)
And I do DRIVE my Koup...just haven't been caught yet doing 180 on the freeway....:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
A lot of places these days will fill tires with Nitrogen. If they fill them up with Nitrogen and doesn't cost any more money then that's fine. I would not pay extra to have it done. As stated earlier, air is made up of approximately 78% Nitrogen.
One major advantage with the Nitrogen is that it is less susceptible to volume/pressure fluctuation due to temperature changes. Another is Nitrogen will not condensate until it's VERY cold (like ~ -300F). That being said, most garages or tire shops have an inline dryer for their air compressor. That way their air tools don't get rust in them. It can help with the moisture going into the tires.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The only thing I will have done there is tire/rim swaps and nitro top ups.

I can't see your reasoning in this case. :)

(Though with their good service of giving me a freebie, I might get my next set of tires there....if the price is right)
You don't see my point that they are only using nitro in order to get future business? Perhaps a little nitro on the side.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Is it standard practice to swap out the valve caps for green ones when nitrogen is used?

I bought the nitrogen / wheel / tire warranty with the car and I don't have green valve caps. When I brought in my car for a flat (nail in a tire) they did not know I had bought it and charged me for a flat repair. It all got sorted out in the end but now I'm wondering if I actually have nitrogen in there...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.