Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I test drove a koup yesterday and I did like the car very very much. My 15 year old daughter did not want to get out lol
they only had the 2.0l and automatic. i absolutely hated the A/T. I'm just a manual girl.
the dealer will contact me when they get a 6 speed M/T in. We (hubby and me) will not buy anything else. Hubby lets me make the decision, since it will be mainly my wroom wroom car lol

is there anything you guys don't like about this car? something i have to look out for?
our Toyota matrix XRS has a very very sensitive clutch for example. after 5 years i still stall it once in a great while lol

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
well i personally, and others too, am very disappointed in the paint quality. i have an auto so cant really say about shifting but other than the paint, i love my car

·
Registered
91 Posts
I thought I was the only who didn't like the paint, it's like they only put 1 or 2 thin coats on. Other than that I the bluetooth "connection/transfer complete" message when the phone connects to the car. There's nothing else about it that I really dislike. Awesome car! :D

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I have a Forte Koup SX 6 Speed Manual with the leather package and autodim mirror with homelink.

Here's a list haha

*Bass rattles in doors and other various parts of the car
(Keep in mind I listen to songs with a lot of bass, mostly hip hop and techno)
*1st gear to 2nd gear in the 6 speed manual takes some practice to get used to, reviews on a lot of sites point out the 6 speed manual as being "different" and easy to stall out on
*The stock antenna is hideous
*I would like to be able to turn the fog lights on separately, instead you have to turn on the headlights in order to turn on the fog lights
*Gas mileage reader is a little strange, I drive the same way I do everyday, and yet my gas mileage reader goes from 29.0 MPG and will drop to 23 MPG. I have the impression it's not necessarily accurate
*Engine noise while parked is strange, clicking sounds can be heard and apparently it's normal for that to be there
*Stock tires could be better, but hey I paid $17,800 for my Koup fully loaded, I am in the military so I got a $500 discount in the price
*Power bass option can ruin the stock speakers, be warned
*Don't use the windshield wiper fluids while having your sunroof open :)

That was a very nitpicky list, I really enjoy driving the Koup everyday and my friends love it. Other soldiers in my battalion originally made fun of me for having a Kia, when they saw it they all had the same reaction. Kia makes cars like this? I haven't had one person that did not like my car, it's seriously a great car, handles perfectly and is comfortable. I can go on forever, but the list I have above is literally every complaint I could think about this car. I hope I helped ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Forte Koup SX 6 Speed Manual with the leather package and autodim mirror with homelink.

Here's a list haha

*Bass rattles in doors and other various parts of the car
(Keep in mind I listen to songs with a lot of bass, mostly hip hop and techno)
*1st gear to 2nd gear in the 6 speed manual takes some practice to get used to, reviews on a lot of sites point out the 6 speed manual as being "different" and easy to stall out on
*The stock antenna is hideous
*I would like to be able to turn the fog lights on separately, instead you have to turn on the headlights in order to turn on the fog lights
*Gas mileage reader is a little strange, I drive the same way I do everyday, and yet my gas mileage reader goes from 29.0 MPG and will drop to 23 MPG. I have the impression it's not necessarily accurate
*Engine noise while parked is strange, clicking sounds can be heard and apparently it's normal for that to be there
*Stock tires could be better, but hey I paid $17,800 for my Koup fully loaded, I am in the military so I got a $500 discount in the price
*Power bass option can ruin the stock speakers, be warned
*Don't use the windshield wiper fluids while having your sunroof open :)

That was a very nitpicky list, I really enjoy driving the Koup everyday and my friends love it. Other soldiers in my battalion originally made fun of me for having a Kia, when they saw it they all had the same reaction. Kia makes cars like this? I haven't had one person that did not like my car, it's seriously a great car, handles perfectly and is comfortable. I can go on forever, but the list I have above is literally every complaint I could think about this car. I hope I helped ;)
@ Aidensgrand & Antny: thank you very much for your reply. guess no wet sanding for me :(

@ xXRockAweaRXx: yes, you did help a lot
my husband also is in the army. he's currently in korea on an unaccompanied tour. i was the one laughing at him when he first mentioned Kia. i feel really bad about that now. :eek::eek:

- the rattling i think i could deal with. i would just turn up the stereo :D
- the clutch sounds the same as the toyota. guess i will stall it. lol
- it does have daytime running lights, right? at least i thought so
- i also did not like the tires. i'm already "shopping" for winter tires

did you get our car through USAA? i priced it there and i came out with about the same minus the leather; not sure about that yet

i do want to wait for the 2011. hubby gets back in 61 days and he has to test drive it too

·
Registered
82 Posts
look his list is great about sums it up...THE ONLY other complaint i have is the sunroof squeks SO FRIGGEN bad but they dont know what todo...

ALSO the Clicking noise is when the AC is on and it sounds like something is loose... mine does it aswell...

the stock tires are GARBAGE!!!! throw them away youll be better off...

and yes never use the windshield washers while the sunroof is open or youll be wet.. also i got the Crystal Fusion for the windshield (actually works great over 50mph dont even need wipers LOL) so all the water beads into my lap...

ONE thing no one else mentioned is the roadnoise i think its horrible i cant stand it sometimes... but agian its hard ot find faults... the car is amazing and fun

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
road noise IS bad but since i got the cai, i have had the stereo off and dont mind the noise :p
and there is a fix apparently to the shifting issue

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am installing a sub in the trunk to take care of the bass rattles in the doors.

The gear shift is something that can be corrected. The problem is really the dead space in the gas peddle.

Stock antenna is crazy long looking. That is an easy $9 fix through ebay though.

I love the car, but there are a few things like xXRockAweaRXx listed that just seem off. Great thing is that most of them are fixable.

As for the windshield wiper fluid issue. I understand that even the BMW's with a sunroof have this issue.

I ended up not using USAA when I purchased. I was able to get a better price myself than USAA was able to offer. I paid $17.5 for my loaded SX Koup.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will have to talk to my Dealer about the 'fix' for the dead gas pedal. Shifting out of first is horrid. A good driver will quickly learn the balance of any car they are driving, but it is unnecessary to have such an obvious dead space at what I consider a critical point in shifting. Making a left into traffic from a deadstop would be one of those times I would consider shifting critical. The only other complaint I would have is...There is a blindspot on the driver's side. Regardless how I adjust the driver's side mirror, I have to be specific in turning to verify for just 1/100th of sec if there is a vehicle near the rear corner panel. The mirror doesn't pick it up.

·
Registered
436 Posts
"TRANSFER COMPLETE"

Vague shifter, touchy throttle, plastic 'clank' when you let go of the outside door handles, seatbelt lock that's WAY too sensitive, trunklid doesn't open, it just pops.

But the positives far outweigh the negatives.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In addition to what was already mention,
The sun visor mirrors do not have light. My wife hates that because she always put on makeup in the car. I don't care about it, I do not look in that mirror anyhow.
Sometimes the door window goes up a little too much and gets stuck with the rubber and it is very difficult to close the door. When you open the window it makes a "thug" noise. I think I need to take the car to check that out.
After a while you can hear some "squeeks" from the seat springs that can drive you nuts but good music fixes that.
For a first year, $20k car, these are minor flaws. I love how it looks, how it moves, how it corners and how it sounds, but just saw the new 2011 Kia sportage and if it was now, I would buy it before the Koup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its too slow. Im about to trade up to the genesis Coupe 2.0T. Not a bad car but its just not what i was wanting it to be and i dont wanna void my warranty to make it do what i want.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The paint is biggest for me. I have many chips now after 7 months and using the touchup pen makes it look not much better at least it shouldn't rust in those areas now.
You'll need to do the throttle mod to fix the SX easy stalling "feature". I haven't had any stalling issues so haven't done the mod.
I wish the "transfer complete" had a sultry, sexy female voice then it wouldn't bother me as much. :)
Absolutely love the way the car looks and apparently so do many other people admiring it all the time.
I don't really have any gripe about road noise since it is quieter than my previous car but you can try and deal with the dealership to include an undercoating in the sale that will cut down some of the road noise. The cheap tires on some models do cause more road noise too.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,820 Posts
look his list is great about sums it up...THE ONLY other complaint i have is the sunroof squeks SO FRIGGEN bad but they dont know what todo...

Did your dealer accomplish the TSB on the sunroof? Known issue and a special tool to fix...mine originally didn't have any noise so they didn't accomplish the TSB, then it started to make noise and I had them accomplish the sunroof noise TSB and it took care of it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
didnt know ill be going back thursday when i pick up my short shifter

·
Registered
185 Posts
My BIGGEST issue is the paint quality as well. It's really sensitive. My other complaint is the squeaking noise from the front passenger seat when it's unoccupied. You can turn up the radio to avoid hearing it, but then the speakers do rattle rather easily from songs with enough bass. I have my bass set lower but the rattling still occassionally occurs. When it's all said and done I still love my Koup as well as others who constantly give it compliments.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,820 Posts
didnt know ill be going back thursday when i pick up my short shifter
If they still don't know what to do tell them to look up TSB BOD057 Forte Koup Sunroof Noise. They have to take off the sunroof and fix the problem. It's really annoying isn't it...LoL

·
Registered
82 Posts
hell yea it is... glad you got that for me... you the man!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts