Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two and a half months into the Forte experience, and it appears I've got a lemon on my hands.

The first problem was immediate, and that was the floor getting soaked every time it rained because of an improper sealing job done between some panels under the dashboard.

Now the screen on the radio has gone dead after two months and the solution will be to install a new radio altogether once it arrives in the next couple of weeks (apparently it can take up to three weeks for the dealer in Illinois to receive a new radio from California at this point). Once I return to get it installed, that will make three service trips to the dealer in the first three months. Once per month on average; I'm not too excited about that.

I haven't been able to find any similar posts anywhere on the web, so I guess my case is pretty unique. Still, I think that I've had about as much of Kia as I care to have. I guess next time I'll shell out the extra 20% and just get a Honda (as my instinct told me to -- but I was too cheap to listen).

·
Administrator
1,198 Posts
Maybe you got a bad one. I have heard really good things from others. Anyone else with a bad experience so far?

Nadeem

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also had a leaking problem due to an improperly sealed gap underneath the car but the dealer fixed it pretty quickly. Overall, I have found the car to be well built over my first 3500 miles. First year cars often have more issues than those which have been around for a while.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have had an engine knocking noise at idle from the get go. And now I see I have a leaking oil pan and also slight oil seepage at the engine front cover, lower left side.

Other than those 2 things the car seems to perform very well and overall quality and fit and finish is excellent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OMG!!! everyday i am reading these new posts and i see lots of negative issues here about the KIA Forte! I am planning to get this car by next year. Hopefully Kia will all fix these problems!. I don't want to get a honda because they are way too popular! Riding a honda is like wearing a nike shoe, but riding a kia is like wearing a lacoste shoe.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,869 Posts
Don't get overly excited about posts like the original one. Notice that he/she has had the car for 2 and a half months and only posted here today -- the post is emotional and the owner is venting. These are not "first" models -- The Forte (Cerato) has been out for 2 years and is just now coming to NA. All cars have problems -- I can give you horror stories about every make (INCLUDING HONDA) -- I haven't had any problems with my sedan SX nor my Koup SX yet. If I do I will take it to the dealer and let them take care of it. Remember that how you act when taking a car in can have an impact on the treatment you recieve. You want prompt courteous service? Then be courteous when you take your car in. Threatening lawsuits and threatening to post everything on line isn't helpful. Put yourself in their shoes...would you like it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah...I didn't mention anything about the service (which has been very good) being bad (just frequent) so I'm not sure what your point is. I'm merely trying to figure out if other people are going through what I'm going through because I'm curious (I'm assuming that's a normal reaction).

And if you're going to bring up service...yes, the guy at the dealership is very courteous and helpful, but then again I spent a lot of money on a brand new car that has caused me to rearrange my schedule a few times in the span of 10 weeks. I'm pretty sure most people don't relish trips to the dealership for service to the tune of once/month. Then again, I haven't owned that many cars in my life, so maybe this is not that unusual and I've been spoiled by the last car I had. That's what I'm interested in hearing about from other Forte owners.

Don't get overly excited about posts like the original one. Notice that he/she has had the car for 2 and a half months and only posted here today -- the post is emotional and the owner is venting. These are not "first" models -- The Forte (Cerato) has been out for 2 years and is just now coming to NA. All cars have problems -- I can give you horror stories about every make (INCLUDING HONDA) -- I haven't had any problems with my sedan SX nor my Koup SX yet. If I do I will take it to the dealer and let them take care of it. Remember that how you act when taking a car in can have an impact on the treatment you recieve. You want prompt courteous service? Then be courteous when you take your car in. Threatening lawsuits and threatening to post everything on line isn't helpful. Put yourself in their shoes...would you like it?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,869 Posts
My post (#6) was directed more towards Anthony Evo08 (post #5).

It sucks that you have had problems...it is an unfortunate part of owning cars.

What would be interesting is what type radio you end up with as a replacement. Let us know if it is a direct factory replacement or a dealer installed type radio.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Unfortunately, in every product that is purchased, there is going to be a few that will not perform up to standard. That is just how things go......

Even if you had paid the 20% more for that Honda.....that does not gurantee you a perfect product.

I do hope that your issues are repaired well and your future experiences will be all positive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a good question...given the design of the dashboard, can they even use any other kind of radio? I'm used to cars with a designated slot for the stereo and on this one the radio is designed as part of the entire dashboard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have owned our sedan for 3 months now. SX w/ 6 speed, after several tsb's we're pretty happy with the car. Yes! there is room for improvement, Kia Does stand behind what they sell.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Hey Planktown, I would ask for FREE Sirius for your trouble...I sure would =] The new radio will have a new code so you should at least get another 3 months free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had the car for a month, and I do have some major concerns. Both of my headlights have condensation. Mine has the tranny issues. My radio/blue tooth is just plain crazy. Radio starts to screech very loud, and the display goes blank. Cd's refuse to eject. Lately, I loose the sound completely, and the only way to fix is to turn off the car, and then start again. I finally decided to video this, since it is very hard to explain. I will post a video on youtube shortly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had the car for a month, and I do have some major concerns. Both of my headlights have condensation. Mine has the tranny issues. My radio/blue tooth is just plain crazy. Radio starts to screech very loud, and the display goes blank. Cd's refuse to eject. Lately, I loose the sound completely, and the only way to fix is to turn off the car, and then start again. I finally decided to video this, since it is very hard to explain. I will post a video on youtube shortly.
Ok... haven't taken delivery of my Koup yet. Now I'm scared. :)

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Ok... haven't taken delivery of my Koup yet. Now I'm scared. :)

test drive it for a couple of days before purchasing to make sure it isn't a "Friday" built car.

Have had my Sedan SX since June...wife's car...no issues, Koup Since September...no issues either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Time for a third trip to the dealer in what is now the eighth month of ownership. This time the light inside the trunk no longer goes on.

Judging by the lack of negative reviews, I guess I'm the unlucky guy who got the one Forte that just plain sucks.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I had my transmission replaced due to grinding in second gear. I also had my side view mirror covers re-done by the dealer because of imperfections in the manufacturing process. The door panels scratch easy (later models have vinyl that prevents this). Knocking noise in the dash (still unresolved for me). Random sensor lights in my gauges have turned on for no apparent reason. There was this one time when I turned on the car and the car would not pass 3,000 RMP no matter what I did...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I had my transmission replaced due to grinding in second gear. I also had my side view mirror covers re-done by the dealer because of imperfections in the manufacturing process. The door panels scratch easy (later models have vinyl that prevents this). Knocking noise in the dash (still unresolved for me). Random sensor lights in my gauges have turned on for no apparent reason. There was this one time when I turned on the car and the car would not pass 3,000 RMP no matter what I did...
wow.. sorry about your car..
my only problems are the radio speed volume control which only worked once..
and the car's hard to shift the first couple of times when I first start it ..
thats it thou everything else is good so far.. hope you guys get a fix for yoru issues

Oh and my dealer seems to think that I can't tell the diffrence between volume control that works and one that does not but yeah I feel for you guys

·
Registered
18 Posts
Two and a half months into the Forte experience, and it appears I've got a lemon on my hands.

The first problem was immediate, and that was the floor getting soaked every time it rained because of an improper sealing job done between some panels under the dashboard.

Now the screen on the radio has gone dead after two months and the solution will be to install a new radio altogether once it arrives in the next couple of weeks (apparently it can take up to three weeks for the dealer in Illinois to receive a new radio from California at this point). Once I return to get it installed, that will make three service trips to the dealer in the first three months. Once per month on average; I'm not too excited about that.

I haven't been able to find any similar posts anywhere on the web, so I guess my case is pretty unique. Still, I think that I've had about as much of Kia as I care to have. I guess next time I'll shell out the extra 20% and just get a Honda (as my instinct told me to -- but I was too cheap to listen).
I would gladly exchange my problem with yours (bad transition between gears in manual transmission) because yours can be fixed and I lost all hope that mine ever will. Sure, I would also be exasperated and frustrated to have to go the dealership so often but at least they are willing to do something about your problems. Mine is sitting on its hands and is waiting for the company to come up with the solution (I wrote to the company as well). It's been almost a year now (bought it in July 09). So yeah, I would change place with you in a minute. On the other hand, I have to admit it's the only problem that I've had with the car, Sedan EX 2.0, and I would really be in love if it wasn't for that.

Anyway, I don't think it means you bought a lemon, hopefully these issues will be the first and last ones you'll have!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Unfortunately, in every product that is purchased, there is going to be a few that will not perform up to standard. That is just how things go......

Even if you had paid the 20% more for that Honda.....that does not gurantee you a perfect product.

I do hope that your issues are repaired well and your future experiences will be all positive.
Exactly...I had a Honda Civic 2009 Model and that had to have a new clutch, new engine bearings, and that was off the showroom floor. My Kia hasn't given me any grief so far.:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts