Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visited my local mid-Missouri dealership on Saturday morning. They had 15 cars allocated to them this month with only two being compact sedans.

Showroom was full of potential buyers vying for the cars even as they were being offloaded from the truck. Looked like a middle east rug bazaar.

I thought the slick TV news readers said supply delays are easing. My dealership is no backwater operation, but the biggest store in the state.

Anyone else know about Kia availability? Are there still months-long wait times?

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
977 Posts
Visited my local mid-Missouri dealership on Saturday morning. They had 15 cars allocated to them this month with only two being compact sedans.

Showroom was full of potential buyers vying for the cars even as they were being offloaded from the truck. Looked like a middle east rug bazaar.

I thought the slick TV news readers said supply delays are easing. My dealership is no backwater operation, but the biggest store in the state.

Anyone else know about Kia availability? Are there still months-long wait times?
From what I can tell, it isn't getting better, but I also haven't been looking at new cars recently. I will say the used market is still just as on fire as it has been.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here in upstate S.C. the dealers have very few new cars on the lot. Mostly K5 with a few lower trim Forte.
We were told that Kia had started the '23 models , and would begin arriving in a few weeks. Just not huge amounts of them.
We ordered a Forte Gt. Initially we expected to wait 3-6 months for delivery. They called 2 days later with a date of only 2 weeks from day of ordering.
I would imagine that supply chain issues will ease sometime next year and maybe we can get back to normal.
What I hate is the markup due to demand. Nobody wants to buy a used car that is priced as much as a new one. But really, $5000 markup?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope the dealers who are doing outrageous markups know that buyers can have long memories. Inventories will get fat someday and customers slim. Won't be a good time to have a reputation of being a greedy SOB.

Some dealerships understand that a first class customer policy will bring long term benefits.

Kia of Columbia (Mo.) has been selling their new cars at MSRP. They have a loyal clientele.
(Recently, they instituted a policy of only selling new cars within the state of Missouri. Too many buyers were coming in from as far away as Texas to avoid their local dealer markups.)

Bob Sight Kia of Independence, Mo., has been selling their allotment of cars at $1,000 over full sticker.

My other local dealers are cashing in during these bad days with price gouging. I will remember them.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT, 2013 Kia Soul +, 2012 Kia Soul !,1992 Toyota Corolla, 2021 Kia Sportage SX
286 Posts
The supply issue is and isn't easing. Problem is this, other manufacturers ran out of cars, then they started migrating over to Kia to see what it was all about, word spread, sales increased exponentially. Through COVID sales were up 4.8% consecutively. At my dealer, we cannot keep cars on the lot. We get nearly 70 - 80 cars currently per month, with an ongoing inventory of about 5 - 7 cars available. Where as normally I have around 200 cars available at any given time. We do have markups here, but we have the lowest in the state at this time, with Fortes being at 1K over on all trims and no other nonsense added like "protection Packages" or "Blinking Tail Lights". There is a local dealer here that is charging 1500.00 for the blinking tail light nonsense, and 900 for wheel locks.....I throw wheel locks in for free as well as floor mats since most Kias at this point do not come with them.

Here is part of the issue with markups, some Kia dealers do not make a profit off of selling a singular car, they make a profit off of milestones, and currently do not have the flow of cars they did to hit those milestones to get the money from Kia to keep their doors open, hence the markup. MANY dealers are taking advantage of this, I see 8 - 10 over all over the place, with added packages on top of that. When our inventory is stable we often sell below MSRP ALL the time, but we just simply cannot do that right now. First milestone for Kia dealers here is 100 cars, we haven't been able to do that for almost a year now. We were at MSRP for quite some time, and again still under MSRP in some circumstances for aging units on the lot.

And I get it, no one wants to pay over MSRP, I don't like selling them that way, and it doesn't do me any good to do so either. I try to make up for it through white glove exceptional service. You want your car brought to you so you don't have to wait for finance here, you got it, I'll drive it to you, and if you don't have a trade, I'll find my own way back. You want your car detailed, a FULL detail? You got it, I'll get it done for you.

Anyways, I know we have a bad rep as sales people, and dealerships often do too. As a salesperson, finance manager, and inventory manager for my dealership I try my very best to break the stereotype.

Reactions: RandyM and Intruder

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like the kind of place I would love to do business.
As far as car salespeople reputation, the old saying
"One bad apple spoils the bunch" seems to apply.
I just ordered a Forte from a local dealer, and the sales lady was the least pushy I have ever encountered.
We visited a different dealer before seeing her , and the guy was pushy, told a few fibs, and left us feeling very uneasy.
I have no ill will toward them. Just won't do business there.
I hope you get a ton of sales. You deserve it.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT, 2013 Kia Soul +, 2012 Kia Soul !,1992 Toyota Corolla, 2021 Kia Sportage SX
286 Posts
For me it's less about how many sales I get, as I also run my own business, which is my main income, I just enjoy this work being a huge car nerd.

Thank you, buying a car should be fun, not stressful, it's a big decision and it should be laid back and enjoyable. Not an argument.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,796 Posts
I thought the Stinger was on its' way out...but my dealer has a 2023 Stinger on the lot.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It was supposed to be, but we have 23 Stingers as well, and the ability to order them again.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The supply issue is and isn't easing. Problem is this, other manufacturers ran out of cars, then they started migrating over to Kia to see what it was all about, word spread, sales increased exponentially. Through COVID sales were up 4.8% consecutively. At my dealer, we cannot keep cars on the lot. We get nearly 70 - 80 cars currently per month, with an ongoing inventory of about 5 - 7 cars available. Where as normally I have around 200 cars available at any given time. We do have markups here, but we have the lowest in the state at this time, with Fortes being at 1K over on all trims and no other nonsense added like "protection Packages" or "Blinking Tail Lights". There is a local dealer here that is charging 1500.00 for the blinking tail light nonsense, and 900 for wheel locks.....I throw wheel locks in for free as well as floor mats since most Kias at this point do not come with them.

Here is part of the issue with markups, some Kia dealers do not make a profit off of selling a singular car, they make a profit off of milestones, and currently do not have the flow of cars they did to hit those milestones to get the money from Kia to keep their doors open, hence the markup. MANY dealers are taking advantage of this, I see 8 - 10 over all over the place, with added packages on top of that. When our inventory is stable we often sell below MSRP ALL the time, but we just simply cannot do that right now. First milestone for Kia dealers here is 100 cars, we haven't been able to do that for almost a year now. We were at MSRP for quite some time, and again still under MSRP in some circumstances for aging units on the lot.

And I get it, no one wants to pay over MSRP, I don't like selling them that way, and it doesn't do me any good to do so either. I try to make up for it through white glove exceptional service. You want your car brought to you so you don't have to wait for finance here, you got it, I'll drive it to you, and if you don't have a trade, I'll find my own way back. You want your car detailed, a FULL detail? You got it, I'll get it done for you.

Anyways, I know we have a bad rep as sales people, and dealerships often do too. As a salesperson, finance manager, and inventory manager for my dealership I try my very best to break the stereotype.
I bought six cars from the Joe Machens auto group in Columbia, Mo. because they followed the philosophy you describe. In the long run, superior customer service wins for everyone.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I’m seeing right now is Mazda is having the biggest parts supply issues.
Don't see how little Mazda can compete at all with the behemoth automakers like VW, Toyota, GM, and even Hyundai/Kia/Genesis. Thought the independent would be swallowed up by the bigger fish by now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I bought six cars from the Joe Machens auto group in Columbia, Mo. because they followed the philosophy you describe. In the long run, superior customer service wins for everyone.
For sure, granted in some ways things are better than they were in the 70s and 80s with how cut throat the business was, there are still those out there that really are shady. Even if I was in it for the money in itself, it does me no good to give my customers a bad experience. I want repeat business, I want referral business, and I sure as hell won't get that if my customer hates me and or the dealership.

I have many repeat customers and referrals, and I love that. It's great getting a call on my cell from a customer wanting to come back again for their next or additional vehicle, or even just has a question about their car. Any of my sales guys in my department I make damn sure that it's really a policy that they customer not only has a good experience, but has fun.

Reactions: RandyM
1 - 13 of 13 Posts