Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody -

I had the opportunity to spend a couple of hours in the stunning Audi A5 coupe. This is one beautiful 40K+ automobile - but how does it compare to a 20K Kia Koup SX? Here is the breakdown:

1. Design - both automobiles look sharp - they will earn a second glance from onlookers when driving by. The front view of the A5 and the Koup are about equal I would say. Unlike the new Mazdas which have the hideous 'joker' smile on their grills [how that got approved I will never know], the A5 and Koup nailed it just right. The Audi does have the sought after trademark 'led' headlights. But this can be done on the Koup as well. Personally, I like the headlights on the Koup and I don't think the Koup needs the LED's. This one is even.

2. Profile - again both get it just right. They both have crisp clean lines that run across the side, a strong C pillar in which give the car a nice full look to it, similar side windows and wheel arches and an overall firm stance. I say this one is even too.

3. The rear - equal. Both cars have very nicely detailed rear lights and a nicely finished exhaust. For a 20K car the Koup looks more expensive than it really is because it does have a nice finished look. Unlike a Chevy CrapBolt which will give you an ugly skinny tailpipe with no difusser to finish it off.

4. Wheels - Audi does have a beautiful wheel. I personally like the wheels of the Koup as well but Audi does get the nod on this one. Keep in mind though - you can easily change out the wheels of the Koup to something more to your liking.

5. Interior - the interior of the Audi is beautiful - but so is the Koups. The A5 does have nice beautiful leather seats, nice to touch dash surfaces, plenty of cool buttons and thoughtful details. But the Koup is no slouch in that department either - the seats of the Koup are sculpted very well - the fabric seats feel of high quality [I don't have the leather seats so I can not comment on them] , nice red stitching runs along the seams the seats, armrests, and steering wheel. Both have a very nice fit and finish - both have cool to look at instrument clusters. The Koup has an IPOD and USB connections, BlueTooth and steering wheels controls. The A5 does have more premium options and materials - but it better for double the price!!! I would say that the A5 is better but not much better.
The sound system seems about equal to me - I really didn't notice any difference.

6. Engine - Audi wins case closed

7. Transmission - Audi wins case closed

8. Warranty - Kia wins case closed

9. Price - Kia wins case closed

So there you have it - the Audi while double the price is clearly not double the car. Kia has done an amazing job of making a 20K car competitive to a 40K + car. That my friend is astonishing when you think about it. For a first year design - Kia hit a grand slam home run.

My friend who owns the A5 sat in my Koup and touched the dash and felt the seats and said - "hmmm...this is a very nice car. I had no idea".

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Lots of similarities, and lots of touches on the A5 that I wish we had. The A5's rounded trunklid and wheels would look nice on the Koup.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A friend of mine drives the 2010 SL 65 AMG, he was trully impressed with my Koup, from the back his wife thought it looked like an Aston Martin, i don't agree but that's what she thought it looked like....went in a new M3 the other day, the bench mark for coupe's...the Koup's lay out and look of the dash board far exceeds the M3's handsdown or hands up....then i started noticing dashes on other cars...not many come close to the Koups dash......

·
Registered
436 Posts
I love the dash in my sister's TSX. Just the right amount of brushed aluminum and soft-touch surfaces. I'd model mine after hers in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Audi comparison more appropriate

While shopping for a new car I test drove a slightly used 2.0 turbo Audi a4 quattro 6spd manual (2006 w/ 50,000 mi) and had too really think hard about it over the SX Koup, 6 spd which I eventually purchased. Both cars had great acceleration and the handling in the SX Koup rivaled the quattro. Cost of ownership was the deal breaker. An Audi oil change runs about $200, serpentine belt replacement about $3,000. Plus I've smoked alot of Civics in my Koup and all I've done is put a K&N filter in. I'd put the Koup in a higher bracket for sure.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Are you really comparing a Forte to a A5 or am I missing something? :confused:

Koupster # GP: M3 Dashboard vs Forte? :confused:

How are those comparison even possible? Let's not forget we drive a KIA econobox, not a luxury/sports car...

The Forte is a great bang for the buck, no doubt about it, but let's not go overboard...

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think he was comparing the styling of both car,style wise the Koup compares with the A5 no problem,for the rest, you will be the judge lo,.AcuraTL, i don't agree with you,a kia rio is an econobox,the Kia koup might be affordable but got a design of a much more expensive car,try to find a good looking car like the Koup for the same price,peter shrieyer as done a superb job with the Koup,it's not the koups fault if you have to pay much more for Such a nice design.

·
Registered
201 Posts
- the fabric seats feel of high quality
Nice comparison Michael, but I'm not so sure I'd agree on this point. The one thing that has disappointed me about this car is the cloth seats. They feel rather thin to me and not well put together. When I get in the car, I feel like the seams might actually tear where the bottom bolsters connect to the flat part of the bottom of the seat. The fabric also seems loose as frequently when I get out, I notice wrinkles on the seat fabric in certain spots. In addition, the foam also seems to be a bit soft. I'm not a "big" guy either though that's what I'm making it sound like LOL!!

Personal preference I suppose. The car I traded was a 03 Volvo, one of the most comfortable cars I've ever had when it comes to seats!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think he was comparing the styling of both car,style wise the Koup compares with the A5 no problem,for the rest, you will be the judge lo,.AcuraTL, i don't agree with you,a kia rio is an econobox,the Kia koup might be affordable but got a design of a much more expensive car,try to find a good looking car like the Koup for the same price,peter shrieyer as done a superb job with the Koup,it's not the koups fault if you have to pay much more for Such a nice design.
I'm not saying it doesn't look good, even though styling is totally subjective. To me, a A5/S5 looks much better and much more refined than a Koup.

Also, as good as the Koup might look, the build quality just isn't the same as an Audi/Bimmer/etc. The materials, fit and finish are inferior, and it's totally understandable considering the price asked for the vehicle.

Basically, what I'm saying is the Forte/Koup is a sub-25g car and comparing it to 50k+ luxury/sports cars just doesn't make sense, unless the comparison is based solely on styling and nothing else, which makes it a subjective thing where price means nothing.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice comparison Michael, but I'm not so sure I'd agree on this point. The one thing that has disappointed me about this car is the cloth seats. They feel rather thin to me and not well put together. When I get in the car, I feel like the seams might actually tear where the bottom bolsters connect to the flat part of the bottom of the seat. The fabric also seems loose as frequently when I get out, I notice wrinkles on the seat fabric in certain spots. In addition, the foam also seems to be a bit soft. I'm not a "big" guy either though that's what I'm making it sound like LOL!!

I understand your view, but I am extremely happy with the cloth seats, especially when compared to previous cars that I owned with cloth seats [the chevy aveo and cobalt is downright embarrassing]. Although you should NOT have to to do this, you can go to an automobile upholstery shop and have you seat 'tweaked' to make it better for you. He can add some foam padding and tighten up the fabric too.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you really comparing a Forte to a A5 or am I missing something? :confused:

Koupster # GP: M3 Dashboard vs Forte? :confused:

How are those comparison even possible? Let's not forget we drive a KIA econobox, not a luxury/sports car...

The Forte is a great bang for the buck, no doubt about it, but let's not go overboard...
I consider the comparison very possible. They are both designed from the same designer, they look quit similiar and they are both two door coupes. The Kia is not an econobox, it is a $20K car with a 10 year warranty [an econobox is a different price point (5K less) with little or no options], the A5 while beautiful is not the holy grail of cars either, while it is a beautiful car it is not an Aston Martin or Bentley. The comparison is not trying to say if Kia/Audi is a better car, rather I am comparing which one gives you more for your money. The A5 is twice the price..but is it twice the car?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I consider the comparison very possible. They are both designed from the same designer, they look quit similiar and they are both two door coupes. The Kia is not an econobox, it is a $20K car with a 10 year warranty [an econobox is a different price point (5K less) with little or no options], the A5 while beautiful is not the holy grail of cars either, while it is a beautiful car it is not an Aston Martin or Bentley. The comparison is not trying to say if Kia/Audi is a better car, rather I am comparing which one gives you more for your money. The A5 is twice the price..but is it twice the car?
Obviously, a higher price doesn't mean you get the same price/equipment ratio.

10yr warranty? More like 5. --EDIT: WTF? I just found out you guys down in the US get 10yrs/100k miles on the powertrain. We only get 5yrs/60k miles! We're getting ripped off! Seriously... I bet Kia is afraid their cars won't like cold weather that much... Kida scary if you ask me.---

I call a 20k car an econobox, but you can call it whatever you want. :)

Of course the A5 is not a supercar, and the Koup is not a shitbox either, but exterior design and coupe configuration is just about where the similarities end.

The A5 is more distinguish, it's faster, it looks nicer (subjective), it's more refined, it's more comfortable, it has more equipment and it's more expensive.

Double the car, probably not, I give you that. But if money was no object, I'd sure have a A5/S5 in my driveway before a Forte/Koup. ;)

Do you know anyone who wouldn't?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,897 Posts
But if money was no object, I'd sure have a A5/S5 in my driveway before a Forte/Koup. ;)

Do you know anyone who wouldn't?[/QUOTE]

Me...LoL!

When it comes to cars I use the "IWLW" method...Inexpensive With Long Warranty...LoL! The inexpensive Kias have gotten me across the US - FL to CA and FL to IL in comfort and with no problems (other then a door ding in Blythe CA...LoL) so I see no need to pay more for the same thing.

I never could understand the rational of paying top dollar for a car and getting a 2/3 or 3/5 warranty...but that's me...LoL!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.