Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Audi-style" LED mod + night photos

I've finally installed LED strips to my Forte. I would've written a DIY for interested people, but I had a shop do the installation, since I have no garage, and as you can see from the picture, our weather is a bitch right now. The LEDs cost me about US$4 (shipped). from ebay:

2 Car Strip White Flexible Grill 24 LED Bulb Light 24cm on eBay.ca (item 370332928678 end time 11-Mar-10 00:49:34 EST)

The installation was a hour's labour, which in my case was C$65+tx.

The strips are wired into the parking lamps. They are on whenever the parking lamps are on (with or without headlights). They are wedged between the bumper and the headlight assembly. It's as if they were designed for this car. The assembly holds them securely in place.

This could've been a $10 project if done in the summer. I think it's much better than the $150 custom LED eyeline from SK or SG, or wherever. Even that mod requires wiring, so I don't see the benefits. LEDs are cheap and that eyeline cannot cost the company more than $15 to manufacture. I'm not paying a 1000% markup + shipping for such a mod.

I've taken more pics, but my phone camera sucks. The lights are way too bright for the camera to handle well. I'll take more pics at my parents' place this weekend. The LEDs are obviously strong, and you can see them well even with the HIDs (though not in the picture).

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looks good ile! Like to see it when it's darker and how it looks when the headlights are on.

Ya, the way the weather is here in London today, I wouldn't risk doing any work on my car outside.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
yea for led i cant even see it i want to get the strips too but i wouldn't want to do it. as far as installing it i dont even know who/shop would do it local around here. guess i have to wait

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Oh, I forgot to mention than I had them installed by Performance Unlimited in London (for those of you here that mayy be interested in a good shop to do some mods, Alex Cruden is their tech, and he does great work). I had them paint my calipers in October, due to the cold weather (the epoxy would not cure properly outside with that temperature) and not to mention that it would take me a long time to complete, since I could only remove one wheel at a time. They charged me 2 hour labour (despite requiring 2 1/2 to complete). $130+tax seemed a lot better that spending an entire day working on it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks ile. I will keep them in mind if I need any mods done in the future. Nice to know a local shop does good work.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't mention it. Also, Fox Audio in Dorchester is highly recommended by Performance Unimited for more advanced electrical work (starters, alarms, etc...). I think it's only about 20km to there from White Oaks area, so while not technically in-town, it's not a big hassle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention that I've removed the DRL fuse, so I only get the LED w/parking lights. Of course, I have to manually turn them on, but re-wiring the DRLs would've been a much bigger pain. Also, the OBDII on our cars does not pick up headlight issues like the GM one, meaning you will not get a check engine light if you do pull your fuse. I have my own scanner and the Forte is error-free.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
It looks great already! Can't wait for some night pictures! I was actually gonna install larger led audi-ish eyelights sometime in late feb when it gets a lil warmer down here! I'm convinced to do it know because they look really great on your car! :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
@ile2010: How much heat does the strip out out? Not the LEDs themselves, but the resistors embedded in the strip? After they are on for a while do they get warm in there? Just thinking ahead that while it's all fine and dandy while it's cool outside, leaving them on while parked in the summer at the local 'spot' may get kinda toasty.

Figured it was worth the risk, myself... just ordered three sets for various uses ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The heat output in winter is negligible. I don't leave my lights (or engine) on while parked.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Word to the wise! These do look great, but you get what you pay for. Sucky part is that they ship from hong kong, so it is going to take forever to get a replacement or even buy another set...

End Result

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ouch, that sucks. Mine still work perfectly. The same strips here in-store cost about $20. They're also made in HK. I guess it's still better to buy directly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like mentioned elsewhere... Just take it as a lesson from me, and if you get these (hell of a deal for $1 plus shipping), just make sure you get 2 pair so you will have some spares to fall back on. I don't regret my purchase, just regret not having the foresight to get an extra set.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Two of my three pairs arrived today (all shipped individually). I was considering doing a similar mod to mine, and yeah - for the price six strips for $15 shipped seemed worth it!

Not sure if I'll still do it, but I've got a couple other ideas in my head for options... putting the car on the hoist tomorrow after work, and going to poke around a bit...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts