Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bored in a computer science lab so I am planning out my audio system for when I get my Koup. I want to keep my stock head unit, but I am looking into getting a JL Clean Sweep. A buddy of mine has it installed in his ride and it enhances the stock system dramatically. I will be replacing all of the stock 6.5in (front and back) with something that has a better sound quality. As for bass, I am thinking of doing a fairly time consuming mod to be able to put 2 6.5inch shallow subs in the rear window sill (where most rear speakers are located). I will have to wait till I get my Koup to determine if this is possible. If I can do this, I already have a 4channel amp that will power the speakers and the subs. Eventually I would dynomat (or an alternative) the car depending on how everything sounds in the end.

In my current car I have 2x10inch Jensen subs that rattle my car to bits. That was nice when I was 16 and thought it was cool, but now I just want a clean crisp system that has a something solid for the bass.

Any suggestions?
Has anyone already tried installing speakers/subs in the rear window sill?
Anyone had good/bad experiences with a JL Clean Sweep?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
:LOL: here I am!

DONT BUY THE CLEANSWEEP WITH THE FORTE!

The cleansweep has a VERY VERY difficult time since the Forte's audio signal is very clean 0 and 20. The cleansweep made my forte sound like a crappy telephone.

Been there, done that, here to tell about it.

You should instead get a good line converter (I have a Cache COE6).

The cleansweep works well on other cars, just not the Forte.

As for rear deck speakers... you'll be cutting steel if you want to install them in the rear deck.

If you bought JL Audio C-5's and an amp, and deadened your doors well..you would almost not need a sub for bass.

You could always add the Jensens though, put them in a proper sealed box to gain space, and tighten the sound, and bring the attenuation down as you see fit.

PM me or reply here if you have any questions.

D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for your input! Just a few questions though...
What exactly does the line converter do? I looked on their website and it wasn't very clear to me and how easy is it to install?
I am actually planning on selling my jensen subs to a buddy of mine, what size/brand of sub would you suggest for a good solid bass without having the car rattling to bits? My budget after buying the Koup is going to be as economical as i can lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda blows that the Clean Sweep doesn't mix well with the Koup...have you ever had one of those bass tubes with the integrated amp? Good or bad?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I have not but they may be the right thing for you if you aren't looking for too much. They may even have a speaker level input. A line converter essentially splices into an existing speaker cable run, and converts the signal to RCAs which feed an amp.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I have not but they may be the right thing for you if you aren't looking for too much. They may even have a speaker level input. A line converter essentially splices into an existing speaker cable run, and converts the signal to RCAs which feed an amp.
Doesn't that sound like total crap though?

I feel as if our options are limited due to the fact that we can't really change the head units. I want to add a single 10" sub and am concerned that a line amp will make it sounds like ass.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is crap, but I guess that's all we can do until they come up with a dash kit...I will probably be the first to buy one because I have a 6.5inch touch screen that I have had my eye on for a while. I am not looking for a sound system that's can be confused with a minor earthquake from a block away, I just want to build something that is clean and crisp. I think it will be my project this summer after I get my Koup.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
It is crap, but I guess that's all we can do until they come up with a dash kit...I will probably be the first to buy one because I have a 6.5inch touch screen that I have had my eye on for a while. I am not looking for a sound system that's can be confused with a minor earthquake from a block away, I just want to build something that is clean and crisp. I think it will be my project this summer after I get my Koup.
I thought the same thing until I realized that the bluetooth/satellite radio is all connected to the head unit. A bit of a limiting factor...

·
Registered
973 Posts
I've been contemplating getting a touch nav/cd/dvd complete setup when they come up with something to make it fit, but still not sure, because I actually like the head unit as is for the most part.
Also, directed @D113: I'm pretty satisfied with the stock locations and sizes, just want some better speakers, possibly JL's or something else high quality; would you happen to know what sizes the 4 speakers are that come stock in my car? (sedan LX) help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Do we know what kind of speakers the Forte has stock?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Doesn't that sound like total crap though?

I feel as if our options are limited due to the fact that we can't really change the head units. I want to add a single 10" sub and am concerned that a line amp will make it sounds like ass.
Not if you use a hi-quality line converter, and don't raise your amp past 22.

I'm using a Cache COE6 which is a lot better than a $40 stinger from best buy and I will put it up against some of the best headunits out there. The only thing a headunit would give me is better crossover control and eq'ing, along with feature like "imprint" from alpine.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Again, a good quality LOC will make all the difference.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Not if you use a hi-quality line converter, and don't raise your amp past 22.

I'm using a Cache COE6 which is a lot better than a $40 stinger from best buy and I will put it up against some of the best headunits out there. The only thing a headunit would give me is better crossover control and eq'ing, along with feature like "imprint" from alpine.
So, if I wanted a sub setup, is that going to happen for under $500?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Again, a good quality LOC will make all the difference.
Yeah I was looking at that and it looks like it will do the job. I am pricing up some component speakers to replace the stock ones. Is it worth putting components in the back or would a good pair of 2/3 way be a good compromise cost wise instead of components all around.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Poor D113 gets all the questions. Really appreciate the tech help though, they say you are the audio guru on the forums.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts