Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the Canadian models come with it stock and the American models do not even offer the option. :confused:

After having several trucks with this option, the American SX Koup's seem to have what we need to make this work. We already have in the headliner what seems to be the aspirator fan which pulls in air and measures the temp(based on past experience), and I'm willing to bet the wiring harness' and sensors are all installed as well. I'm thinking this could be a simple plug and play with the correct dashboard components and trim plates.

For any Canadian's planning on taking your dash apart for radio upgrades or just curiosity, could you document your part numbers and maybe even take a few pics of your wiring connectors?

For anyone with an EX or LX model, can you confirm or deny the round plastic part in the headliner with holes in it above the drivers head being present? I do not believe this to be the mic for the bluetooth as we also have a similar looking small round gille in the dash near the wiper controls, that when covered, the people I talk to can't hear me.

This is all just a hunch, but I would love to actually be proven wrong. Post up some part numbers and I will put this theory to the test.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Canadians are a bunch of wimps...can't even twist a dial to control the temperature...Jeeze, what next automatic trannys only. If you want to turn your knob then you should have got a manual HVAC system....LoL!

Where have I heard this stupid arguement before...oh yea, auto Vs manual tranny posts...sounds no less stupid doesn't it...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Canadians are a bunch of wimps...can't even twist a dial to control the temperature...Jeeze, what next automatic trannys only. If you want to turn your knob then you should have got a manual HVAC system....LoL!

Where have I heard this stupid arguement before...oh yea, auto Vs manual tranny posts...sounds no less stupid doesn't it...
LOL...guess you took my post wrong. I like having auto climate control as most of the previous vehicles I've owned have had it.

To sum it up...I want this option and I think it's possible, I just need some part numbers and pics of the wiring connectors to be sure.

Most mfg's install the same wiring harnesses and sensors in all models at the frame/body section of the assembly line to save money on different harnesses, so the control modules could be an easy plug and play swap.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The roof really IS your bluetooth mic. The vent to the right of the steering wheel IS the ambient air temp/humidity fan/sensor.

Maybe they couldn't hear you because you had to lean forward to cover the fan (it's actually got a tiny little fan in there, really neat) and so your head was too far forward for the BT mic? Dunno... but you're ass-backwards. Just checked the parts manual, and yup...

But since I'm in there: full auto controller is 97250-1M560WK. That's right off my VIN, which is a Canadian model SX Sedan. Assuming the harness is the same (couldn't tell you if it is, or not) but you'll also need a 972531H300 (light sensor), 972701F100 (ambient temp) and maybe a 969852D700 (external temp) as well.The dealer prices for those units should convince you that it's NOT a good investment to make. Last time I changed an auto-control on an older Sorento it was over $1000 for the unit.

Oh, and bonus points: I checked to see how many different 'Main harnesses' Kia makes for Fortes to see if your guess about common harnesses for multiple trims. Apparently Kia doesn't pay their harness makers very much, because they can afford to have a LOT of them working... there are 12 different main harness configurations for the Forte/Koup. Main harness to Kia is the dash one - the one you'll be most interested in. Each config covers the different transmissions, keyless entries, cluster types and a/c controllers.

So short story: Should have bought an SX.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The roof really IS your bluetooth mic. The vent to the right of the steering wheel IS the ambient air temp/humidity fan/sensor.

Maybe they couldn't hear you because you had to lean forward to cover the fan (it's actually got a tiny little fan in there, really neat) and so your head was too far forward for the BT mic? Dunno... but you're ass-backwards. Just checked the parts manual, and yup...

But since I'm in there: full auto controller is 97250-1M560WK. That's right off my VIN, which is a Canadian model SX Sedan. Assuming the harness is the same (couldn't tell you if it is, or not) but you'll also need a 972531H300 (light sensor), 972701F100 (ambient temp) and maybe a 969852D700 (external temp) as well.The dealer prices for those units should convince you that it's NOT a good investment to make. Last time I changed an auto-control on an older Sorento it was over $1000 for the unit.

Oh, and bonus points: I checked to see how many different 'Main harnesses' Kia makes for Fortes to see if your guess about common harnesses for multiple trims. Apparently Kia doesn't pay their harness makers very much, because they can afford to have a LOT of them working... there are 12 different main harness configurations for the Forte/Koup. Main harness to Kia is the dash one - the one you'll be most interested in. Each config covers the different transmissions, keyless entries, cluster types and a/c controllers.

So short story: Should have bought an SX.
LOL...holy crap!. After re-reading my initial post...a few times...I still can't figure out the need to be abrasive, from either of you. :rolleyes:

I own a loaded SX Koup...as I stated, the auto-climate control is not an option in America...I wasn't bashing any countries! We only get the manual system and I want the auto system.

I checked on the way home today and you are right...I was "...ass-backwards". I tested this a few weeks ago, honest mistake in my post and I can admit that. I was hoping someone in Canada would try the swap on their EX and post up the info that I was looking for, or at the very least have their dash apart for audio upgrades and could get the part numbers while they were back there.

For whatever it's worth, thanks for the part numbers. Now that I have them, I can do my own research. I might pull the dash apart and see if an aspirator fan with wiring is installed and hooked up.

Short story...thanks for the help and maybe next time, try reading the entire post before responding and attempting to make someone look line an ass for asking an honest question about a mod they want to make.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My deepest apologies if I seemed curt; it was certainly not my intention. Sometimes my wry wit fails to communicate in text as well as I would like.

The main points in my story are that the parts required to replace in your car are prohibitively expensive, and you really will need a new main harness, which requires pulling the entire dash, and it will not work with your car due to the different clusters, etc. Unless of course you choose to also upgrade your gauges but that introduces another snag in the display will be looking for signals from other parts of the car that you don't have, like fuel economy info, etc.

The only feasible way I could see this happening is if you found the entire dash from a wrecked SX. Then you'd have to spend several weeks worth of hours with your dash apart, and the two harnesses torn out of the cars, and rewire a Frankenstein harness of the two together. Then you could still run your transmission/gauge/accessories, and also have the full auto climate control with it's various extra bits, as well.

Again, my apologies to you; I am here to educate and assist, not to badger or berate.

Edit: Also, I believe you will in fact have the ambient temp sensor and fan behind the little dash grille, as the A/C logic controller will require that so it can properly monitor compressor use/function. That sensor's info is used by several systems, not only restricted to the auto-climate system.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Canadians are a bunch of wimps...can't even twist a dial to control the temperature.
Us Canadians aren't "a bunch of wimps" but on the contrary, we are the ones braving the winter elements up here! That's why Kia HAD to give us the auto climate control because it's simply TOO COLD up here for the regular climate control to work! The knobs probably would freeze and not turn! And how could we turn the knobs with our thick gloves or mittens on? We NEED auto climate control to do all of that for us! ;)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My deepest apologies if I seemed curt; it was certainly not my intention. Sometimes my wry wit fails to communicate in text as well as I would like.

The main points in my story are that the parts required to replace in your car are prohibitively expensive, and you really will need a new main harness, which requires pulling the entire dash, and it will not work with your car due to the different clusters, etc. Unless of course you choose to also upgrade your gauges but that introduces another snag in the display will be looking for signals from other parts of the car that you don't have, like fuel economy info, etc.

The only feasible way I could see this happening is if you found the entire dash from a wrecked SX. Then you'd have to spend several weeks worth of hours with your dash apart, and the two harnesses torn out of the cars, and rewire a Frankenstein harness of the two together. Then you could still run your transmission/gauge/accessories, and also have the full auto climate control with it's various extra bits, as well.

Again, my apologies to you; I am here to educate and assist, not to badger or berate.

Edit: Also, I believe you will in fact have the ambient temp sensor and fan behind the little dash grille, as the A/C logic controller will require that so it can properly monitor compressor use/function. That sensor's info is used by several systems, not only restricted to the auto-climate system.

I really can't understand why any automotive manufacturer would make things so complicated. I honestly would have thought that Kia Canada and Kia America would fall under a Kia North America umbrella and the cars would be almost identical and have only minor regional changes.

Thanks again for the part numbers. I'll price the parts at somepoint. Still a lot of leg work on my end before I even think about buying parts.

No hard feelings here. Sometimes it is hard to express inflection on an internet forum...guess that's why they give us these smilies. :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't worry about the idiots, they will be just that, IDIOTS! On the other hand it's something I have thought about myself. Brush the haters off and keep pushing. If you get an answer let me know. I have an SX also.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Don't worry about the idiots, they will be just that, IDIOTS!
Brush the haters off and keep pushing.
Yeah, I agree. Don’t worry about idiots that reply to a 10 year old thread. They will be just that, IDIOTS!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking to do an ac controls swap on my 2010 Kia Forte Koup. It’s got the manual ac unit and I want to change it to the automatic. The connections are different and I’m wondering if anyone has done it?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I am looking to do an ac controls swap on my 2010 Kia Forte Koup. It’s got the manual ac unit and I want to change it to the automatic. The connections are different and I’m wondering if anyone has done it?
No. No one has done it. See this post as to why:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts