1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Found a listing for this:

Kia Forte/Forte Koup Auto Dimming Mirror w/ Homelink

Which I would LOVE to put in my Koup (would have gladly ordered it if it were offered by the dealer). Is there already wiring in place? I'm envisioning a minor nightmare of running wires under the headliner and down an A-piller otherwise.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip, Fox. Looks really useful!

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I picked up my car this was not available, but has since become an available accessory and I have placed my order for it just last week. I have only seen one other HomeLink install in the shop (it's a rare add-on) and it took the tech roughly just over an hour to do. True, first one is always a bit longer, but this guy was steady at it the whole time and cussed a pretty good streak for most of it.

I'll be doing mine in a week or two so if I thnk of it I'll post the time it took me.

Oh, and generally KGSIS is completely useless when it comes to accessories.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...I'll be doing mine in a week or two so if I thnk of it I'll post the time it took me...
Thanks, I'll be keeping an eye out! It's literally the only thing I'm missing from my Sedona right now.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was taking a closer look at the mirror today, and I noticed a couple of things.

First, there's a vertical black strip from the mirror attachment to the top of the windshield, which I'm guessing is there to hide wires from the rearview mirror and protect them from UV.

Second, at the top of that black strip, there's a nice little hole in the overhead console.

SOOOO, I'm guessing the mirror has a hollow attachment that the wires run through, up into the overhead console, and if I take out the maplights/sunglass holder I should find a nice little plug.

Doesn't sound hard at all :)

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that, subzeropr. Read the thread and it definitely helped me out.

That's totally what I want to do, for sure. I am wondering, though, if the mirror you bought was an actual Kia OEM part, or a generic? And all functions worked okay, right?

I believe that the HomeLink needs a constant 12V connection so that it can work even when the car's off...

·
Registered
127 Posts
The seller on e-bay told me it was a KIA OEM part and the box were it came said Kia. but apparently it was for another car. I cut the connector that came with the car and used the 12 V ignition and ground that were with that connector. I used 12 V battery from the dome lights. The reverse cable that was left I just wrapped it in electrical tape and not used it as the mirror that I bought did not had the feature.

yes it needs constant 12 v for the homelink and I believe that to keep the compass calibrated.

Everything is working great. (knock on wood)

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The seller on e-bay told me it was a KIA OEM part and the box were it came said Kia. but apparently it was for another car...
OMG, an eBay seller lied??! That NEVER happens! :eek:

I'm sorry to hear that happened, but I'm glad you confirmed my suspicions about how it goes in, anyway. I think I'll confirm with the dealer that it has the correct 10-connector plug.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I took the plunge and ordered off this eBay auction. The seller is a Kia dealer, and they assured me it has the 10-pin connector.

I'll let you all know how it goes!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
@Thunderbuck <- pictures!! possible DIY?? ill probably pick up the same mirror when im in florida this winter.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@sxKoup: I honestly expect to be able to DIY this. I'm no mechanic but I've done the odd mod over the years. I've also got some LED map lights on order from Diode Dynamics, so I figure I'll just kill two birds with one stone (it looks like the map light assembly has to come out for the mirror install).

I promise to take lots of pics and post my procedure for ya!

·
Registered
122 Posts
haha cheers! awaiting the one of a kind DIY write up!

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I recieved the mirror from the eBay buy. Haven't had the chance to install yet, in part because it looks like it might be more elaborate than I originally thought.

It is, indeed, the Kia OEM unit, and it looks great. I also give kudos to Kia for providing all documentation and extra parts necessary for the install (right down to the foam wraps for wire junctions). I was most impressed that they even had a grade for the ease of performing the task (it's between a 1 and a 2, which makes it pretty easy).

The install calls for running a harness across the front of the headliner and down the driver's side A-pillar to the fuse box, though, and even requires loosening some of the weatherstripping, so I will be making sure to do this in a well-heated garage when I have a few hours.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts