Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering about auto headlights and such. does the 2010 have it or is it just the 2011? just the other day, i got a ticket for not having my lights on...80 dollars for not noticing something so minor. anyways a friend of mine that got a 2011 told me to just leave it on auto so nothing like would happen again, but i couldnt find the auto headlight switch...so i assume its just on the 2011?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I consider ours "auto-headlights" since they shut off after you open the door when the car's off. I just got into the habit of leaving mine on so i didn't have to worry about it....i'll never accidentally drain the battery by leaving them on so why not.

My last car (kia rio) had the benefit of only having one bulb. It was the same for night beams as it was for daytime running lights....so i never had the issue of forgetting to turn on my headlights. (that was really the only plus side to that car though)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes DRLs are the law in Canada so all Canadian models have DRLs. If you are one of the people that purchased a US model and imported it to Canada, it is required to have the computer reprogrammed (normally that is all it is to equip) to use the DRLs before you can actually bring it across the border. I believe it is only a law for vehicles manufactured after a certain date.

As for the auto headlight setting, no it is not available on the 2010 model. However, the 2010 is equipped with a 'power save function' as jarret_g described (leave your lights on and once the car is turned off and drivers door opened the car cuts the lights.) I have read in another thread that the 2011 is equipped with auto headlights depending on the trim. However, the 2011 is not on KIA.ca yet in order to check the specs.

Unfortunately my Koup SX is equipped with a remote start so I am not able to take advantage of the 'power save function' of the 2010. This is because mine is a M/T and in order to engage the car to override the clutch pedal being depressed when I want to start it remotely, the car remains running until I close the door. Thus providing an improper sequence for the car to cut the lights. Food for thought if you are bad for leaving your lights on, but want a remote start on a M/T.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
2010 cars have DRL's...Read chapter 4 of your owners manual. [You should have Daytime running lights] - adjust your headlight switch to activate them.
i've got a USA koup- and DRLs? nope-

from reading chapter 4 pages-55 thru 57 -
we got a 'battery saving feature'- ie- turn car off/get out- lights go off.
the control stalk for the lights has off, parking lights, head lights.
fog light switch as option.
but DRLs from my understanding-
you turn the car on and drive- and the lights go on automatically w/o any option from the driver to disable.

our US versions yes- you could leave the lights on "head light" all the time- but that is not true DRL.

one funny thing i noticed in the manual--
for all the folks hyper-miling--
turn off your fogs lol
according to the manual-
chapter 4 page 57-
the fogs use up lots of electricity :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
you mean DRL's aren't required in america? I hate when people are driving towards me without lights on...so hard to judge how close or far away they are.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
nope- not as far as i know- they are not required in USA
they are available based on which car you buy- but required- not yet.
i'm sure just a matter of time till they are.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Headlights on with wipers activated are required in some states, but DRL's are purely a Canadian thing. Your DRL's only activate the low beam bulbs, not the parking and trim lights. To my knowledge the DRL's are only disabled when you activate the parking brake right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts