Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had the Compustar Pro P2W9000 Alarm/Starter installed this last weekend. The product seems great, its the installer I'm working out kinks with :(. Mines with man. trans too.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I had the Compustar Pro P2W9000 Alarm/Starter installed this last weekend. The product seems great, its the installer I'm working out kinks with :(. Mines with man. trans too.
Mine will be installed with the manual
Transmission as well... What
Type of issues are you having?

·
Registered
144 Posts
All issues are related to the installation, not the product as a note **

First, I now have a dent in my roof. If you were to triangulate between the windshield, drivers door, and sun roof there is a crease almost as long and as wide as two fingers. It's either from them testing the shock sensor after installation, or using the heel of their palm as leverage as they snuck their head down into the car and installed the antenna (the antenna is in the top left of the windshield right above the driver).

Second, when he did the walk through with me after and started it by remote I said it sounds like the starter is engaging a hair too long. He said try a cold start and see how it sounds. I did and obviously it's still too long by a tad - enough for long term damage.

I grew to like our Forte's headlights off when the doors open feature and usually always leave the park lighs or headlights on and they turn off by themselves. I did that as usual the other night when I tried the cold start for the starter. Apparently, once I put it in manual trans safety mode for the starter, the park lights stay on unless they are switched off. I found that out when my dad woke me up at 5 am on his way to work. If I turn the car off as usual without wanting to remote start it, the parklights turn off by themselves though.

I also foun out that I can use an aux. function to power up my rear defrost when I am remote started. The company is willing to do that as compensation for the dent. They aren't taking responsibility for the dent but the install manager 'feels bad' so the labour will be free. The install manager was also the one who did my car since they haven't seen very many Kia's.

I drove 5 hrs to the city to have this done so I wouldn't have to worry about the installation quality matching the product quality compared to an install locally. They are willing to work with me, I just don't know at who's cost yet hahah.

(sorry op)

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Wow.. Sorry to hear about all that.. I'm driving myself about 2 hours becuae they had the best price and are a compustar "pro shop" according to compustars website and they have installed the drone before and will do it on manual.

2 local shops won't install remote starts on manuals.

Well I hope they correct their mistakes for you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
For what it's worth, I installed the KIA Factory Remote Start MYSELF in my Forte Sedan back in June. I have an auto trans, and other than the 95-plus degree heat, it went in without a hitch. I was able to get the kit from Gary Rome Kia for under $300. I understand that the factory Remote Start is ONLY for an auto trans, so.... aftermarkets for all you manual folks.

That being said, I really like my remote, as I can also turn on the rear window defrost, and park at a store and pull the key to go in for a few minutes, while leaving the car running. It also is a car alarm protecting the hood, passenger compartment, and trunk. If you can handle a wrench, you can probably put this in without too much grief.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Thanks. I'm not furious, just upset/disappointed.

I hope things are positive for your install outcome.
Thanks man... As always I'll keep everyone posted once it's done. I'm really looking forward to the dronemobile app side of things...

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is useful for cold weather? Is that why people pay for it? Or do they just like starting their car with a remote?

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Any weather... Cool the car when it's hot, heat it when it's cold etc. Plus the system I'm going with will show me inside cabin temp and tons of other nerdy features. :)
What will be cool is to be able to remotely roll down the windows/sunroof!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Make sure your installer is familiar with Kia at least, since I know they can't be familiar with a Forte quite yet. Almost a week for me and in short my problems related to my alarm and remote start have grown to, and all installation related:

1. No park lights flash during lock/unlock any more
2. Auto off headlight feature once our doors are open when I set my car in manual reservation mode is lost. Park lights will stay on unless switch is turned off.
3. Starter engagement is slightly longer then needed
4. Alarm activated my lights don't flash, only siren - which is pointless if the lights aren't drawing attention to my car as well
5. Panic button - no lights either, and the siren was barely hearable from my living room to my car across the street. Its loud when you're next to it but...

I did my research. The company I chose has three locations in this city. I opened the phone call with "Hey I have a 2010 Kia Forte Koup, manual trans. Do you have a senior installer familiar with this car? I'm looking to get a Compustar Pro alarm/starter installed.'' Turns out "Yeah, we've done Kia's before" isn't quite as comforting as it seems. My Kia dealership is within 15mins driving from this installer so I didn't doubt him.

I am pretty upset now because I made a trip to the city to have it done, with hotel cost. Lost my car from 9:50-5:15, and paid a bit over $1000cad. Now I have to do it over again, special trip, hotel cost, and vehicle-less. It also isn't comforting knowing that with this next trip my Koup will be most likely be hiding some hack job wiring under it :(

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yea most of the aftermarket remote starters are spliced in to the factory wireing, and the factory ones plug into the factory harness.

I also did not know that kia made a factory remote start!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Made a special trip to them last Saturday again.

The park lights flash when armed/disarmed, alarm activated, and panic button pressed as long as my headlights are completely off, as well as parklights switched off. It was this way the whole time, but since I always leave my parklights on that's what caused them to not flash before. Want my lights to flash, gotta remember to turn them off now.
I also lost my auto off headlights from factory when I put it into the manual start safety mode. It was described as the start mode keeps the car 'alive' in a sense, and hence the closed circuit which would allow the lights to be on if they were left on.
Because of the manual trans safety mode, I can not leave my car running and pull the key to run into a store quick. It has to be in neutral and ebrake on, so when standby is activated to run this feature, it ends up canceling itself out. I was told if it was an auto it would do this no problem at the push of a button.

For starter engagement, we decided we are going to wait to see how it acts when colder, incase I need that split second longer crank when its -40*C.

They acknowledged the dent in my roof, but won't assume responsibility. The installation manager, who did my car himself, said he felt 'bad' and also wired in my rear defrost as an auxiliary feature for free. They would've tied in the wiper defrost too, but couldn't find a wiring diagram. I am somewhat happy about this, since it will be nice to have a warm car, and get a head start with the rear window being on now too.

I decided if my car does good over winter, I'll have my dent fixed and my roof done in a gloss black. If my Koup doesn't do too good, I'll sell/trade it in and won't worry about it.

I like this Compustar product, thats for sure. The final price it ended up costing me with parts/labour install, two trips to the city with hotel, gas, food, it kind of turns my stomach :(

How about you beast? When is your install taking place?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Well glad some of your issues were resolved and sorry to hear others were not.

I'm heading down on Thursday for the install. If all goes well I should be back around 5-6pm. I'm was going to drop the car off and go to lunch / mall down the road but i think I'll take them up on the offer to hang out in the shop while they work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.