Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey any one else use there Forte for Auto X . I have for 2 years now. Looking to connect with others . Share info , details tips and tricks. I drive a 2010 SX sedan 6.Spd, in the lowest class H Stock. I drive with the UBCMCC and VMCC . That is the University of BC Motor Car Club and the Vancouver Motor Car Clubs.

I am by no means a top competitor but the regulars know me for pushing the total limits of the car,being very smooth and consistent. I get at least 1 comment a race day that they are surprised what my Kia can do.

Let me know your track legal experiences Auto X or Track.

Cheers .

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't but that's awesome.

How often do you drive and how hard is it on the car?

You must be changing tires frequently.

I know this thread is a year old but if you're there, let me know!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup here on and off. I go about 1 every 3-4 weeks. Its actually pretty good on the car. Its all done most in top end of 2nd gear standard so about 85-90 km /hour. I have 2 sets of tires BF Good-ridge. Sport Comp 2's a 280 Rating they are very grippy on the dry and great in the rain. 17/45/225's a bit extra width. I have a strut bar, sub frame collars and a lower rear support bar. the cars runs very level . A set of tires has lasted 2 years so far. But sad that no races since March, only track days and that I don't do.(thats very hard on the car) Oh yeah I just put on EBC yellow stuff pads with EBC cryo-preped solid rotors, The car now stops insanely fast. Its so fun to know the limits of your car 100% I know when shes going to break free and who to bring her back when she does. Its a total rush.

When I started I had nothing done to the car, she was bone stock and still had fun. Then each year I do a little . I cant do anything more without upping a class so I am happy y with her now all dialed in. You should try it. there are sessions all over north america and the drivers offer training and have to have experienced riders for first few events with you as ride along coaches. The group i drive with even had loner helmets.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow dude, that's awesome!

I am looking to get into something like this. I am stock right now but my plans are to get some nicer rims (bigger than 15") and tires, sway bar front and rear as well as strut tower bar. I have also looked at maybe getting Eibach coils or coilovers. Are you on stock suspension? I have thought about brakes, those definitely look enticing but I'd like the car to be more stable first before putting killer brakes on it. There are some track days near me, why is that harder on the car? It's my daily driver so I'm not certain about how much I want to do with it. But I'd like to learn the basics and just be cautious at first. That's inspiring though man, seems like you can do something with a Forte!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow dude, that's awesome!

I am looking to get into something like this. I am stock right now but my plans are to get some nicer rims (bigger than 15") and tires, sway bar front and rear as well as strut tower bar. I have also looked at maybe getting Eibach coils or coilovers. Are you on stock suspension? I have thought about brakes, those definitely look enticing but I'd like the car to be more stable first before putting killer brakes on it. There are some track days near me, why is that harder on the car? It's my daily driver so I'm not certain about how much I want to do with it. But I'd like to learn the basics and just be cautious at first. That's inspiring though man, seems like you can do something with a Forte!
Well I regret thinking I needed to do some more upgrades before I went on track I held off 15 events and looking back I would have jumped right in. I am very stock overall still and love it. remember the 2 biggest things when it comes to getting better is SEAT TIME AND TIRES the rest is candy. Those will be the largest notable improvements, so as far as seat time get out there ASAP. Its all fun.

My car is my daily driver too. Track is 100X or more harder on a car vs Auto cross. Track your redlining 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and touching 5 or 6 depending on the track then slamming on the brakes down to 40 or so then back up through 3 4 5 6 topping out at the cars max speed 140MPH , then back to 40 or 50 around afew corners and back up to 100mph then down again , you get the pic, continue this fro 20 to 30 minutes straight, brakes get very very hot the car is pushed to its limits. transmission heats up, Tires get eaten too at the higher speeds. You'll do 15 turns in in 5-8 minutes or so. VS AutoX where you red line in 1st into 2nd , top speed 60-70mph and stay in 2nd , low revs around corners and up again, you'll end up doing maybe 15+ corners in around 1 minute. Its way higher intensity. Everyone I have talked to who tracks regularly loves the intensity of auto X as its more technical. Learning to choose your line to cut 10th and 100ths off your time by choosing a better line , playing with the corners set up and apex, taking in account teh slight raise in track revelations and bumps, learning to use them. They also say that their track times improve because they know how to choose lines better. AutoX is quite mild on the car comparatively. There is so much to learn but just get out there sock and get some seat time . you wont regret it. In any given day there are 100 drivers and we drive 6-10 laps each day, 1 minute at a time. I know I am better driver as my reaction times have improved as well. I like autoX as it the speed I drive daily vs tracks speeds only apply, well should only apply to tracks. Auto X is fun and practical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts