Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I unlocked the car from inside my house, saw the lights flash, walked out and tried to open the rear.

It was locked.

I thought I had unlocked the doors and I thought I saw the lights flash. I try the driver's door and it is also locked. Hmm...

Go back into the house, go to my bedroom (on the 2nd floor), this time carefully hit unlock, see the lights flash.

I go down. Right when I put my hand on the door handle I hear the car lock itself! Argh, and like an idiot I left the keys upstairs (because unless I'm driving my car I ALWAYS leave my keys and wallet on the bedroom table).

·
Registered
88 Posts
My car autolocks too. Just not all the time. I was curious to know why is does and at other times it doesn't.

:confused:

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
yup, its a "safety" feature. its made so that if you accidentally hit the unlock button while the key is in your pocket, it would lock back up. many cars have it. and the time for it is 30-seconds.

·
Registered
231 Posts
yeah this happened to me one time, i unlocked the car, put the keys down inside the car, went to throw something out in the garbage came back door was locked luckily for me i had the window open otherwise i would be cursing the efff out of kia

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
yeah this happened to me one time, i unlocked the car, put the keys down inside the car, went to throw something out in the garbage came back door was locked luckily for me i had the window open otherwise i would be cursing the efff out of kia
technically this couldn't work, because that safety feature is disabled by opening any door. (not the trunk though)

·
Registered
231 Posts
no, i shut the door, threw the keys in through the window, and then it locked, but yeah i guess its not possible if the window isnt open

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I'm still not following. If you unlock the door, the safety feature is disabled once you open the door.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
scenario A: you unlock the door. you go to your car 1 minute later and its locked.

^ thats the safety feature

Scenario B: you unlock the door, open the door, and throw your keys in, you check later and door will stay unlocked (safety feature gets disabled by opening the door)

Scenario C: you unlock the door, pop the trunk( from the remote) and throw your keys in it and close, check 1 minute later, and the car is locked. (Door wasn't opened, hence safety feature wasn't disabled)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
^ i did scenario A today when i was going to wash the koup.. then i was like "what the?!"

then i did scenario b.. lol

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I like locking my car with the windows down! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts