Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just to eliminate any potential confusion, we're talking about a Canadian car here.

My new Koup SX locks the doors when you take it out of park, and unlocks the doors when you put it in park. I want the doors to lock, but NOT to unlock automatically under any circumstances.

My wife has a 2009 Hyundai Elantra that, as delivered, neither locked or unlocked the doors. A trip back to the dealer and he set up her doors to lock at 20 km/h and not to unlock. Perfect!

My question: is there any chance a knowledgable tech could find any setting like this for the Koup? I can live with the 'lock out of park' but prefer the 'lock at 20 km/h'. What I really care about is that it doesn't unlock automatically ever.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Welcome!

According to our handy dandy manual pg.85-86, section 4-11 & 4-12.
The doors will lock when taken out of park & unlocks doors when put into park.

A KIA dealer may be able to activate or deactivate certain lock/unlock features.
I would call youre friendly neighbourhood dealer:)

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Should be part of the customer delivery checklist...LoL!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
absolutely using our gds that feature can be turned on or off!!!

cheers
But there's the rub - I don't want that feature 'on' or 'off', I want it 'different' than what's described in the manual. Although one of the options in the manual is 'unlock when key is removed from ignition' which would be slightly better than unlocking when in park.

I guess at this point a more relevant question for you is: are the 'lock' and 'unlock' settings independantly settable?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not to be nosey but why would you not want it to unlock when your in park??? Are you afraid of getting car-jacked or something lol????? I didn't know Canada was so unsafe lol... If your worried about child safety there are child locks built into the doors already... Just wondering....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to be nosey but why would you not want it to unlock when your in park??? Are you afraid of getting car-jacked or something lol????? I didn't know Canada was so unsafe lol... If your worried about child safety there are child locks built into the doors already... Just wondering....
It is a safety/security issue - I just prefer to be in a locked car. I often sit in my car waiting for my wife at the train station, or when she's shopping, and I read a book - ie, I'm not paying attention to my surroundings.

My question for you is - why would you WANT it to unlock? To get out of the car you don't have to unlock it first; you just pull on the handle and it unlocks automatically. No sweat.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I understand to a degree and I can agree with the unlock at key out but worst case scenario for you right now is just lock it again after you park... Hopefully you can figure this out for your personal comfort.... Good luck!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
As stated above, our shop computer (called a GDS) can alter these settings as you'd like. The options for Lock are 'from park', '20 km/h', or 'disabled'. The options for Unlock I believe are 'in park', 'engine off', or 'disabled' (which leaves the doors locked as you'd prefer).

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's so nice having actual Techs on here to help us out... and to hit 200 posts Woot Woot!!! Thanks KiaTech!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As stated above, our shop computer (called a GDS) can alter these settings as you'd like. The options for Lock are 'from park', '20 km/h', or 'disabled'. The options for Unlock I believe are 'in park', 'engine off', or 'disabled' (which leaves the doors locked as you'd prefer).
Thank you!

Just the kind of specific information I was hoping for.

There is no mention in the owners manual about the '20 km/h' setting, but it makes sense that the Forte and Elantra would offer similar options. I like to do a bit of research before asking a dealer to do something that may be out of the ordinary.

Again, thank you for taking the time to provide your expertise.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Thanks for the info Kiatech, I've lock myself out two time allready!?!?!? (just don't ask how!!!) Will call my dealer for that change!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Since we're on the subject of door locks, I was wondering if there was anyway to lock the doors with the key in the ignition. I realize this feature is here for a reason but I hate letting my car warm up in the winter with the doors unlocked and it running.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Since we're on the subject of door locks, I was wondering if there was anyway to lock the doors with the key in the ignition. I realize this feature is here for a reason but I hate letting my car warm up in the winter with the doors unlocked and it running.
Mine auto lock after 30 sec........... no matter if the engine is running or not or if key are in or not!!!!!! If I turn it off and go out (letting the keys in) it will lock me out!!!!
I do have a remote start and it may be an option on it!!!!! have to look at this!

·
Registered
108 Posts
TK87 -

Here's what I did down here in the good old US of A.... I went to the local Home Depot, and looked at the key blanks that they had in stock. I eyeballed the closest one to be a KK3 blank (I have read elsewhere that a KK7 blank is what our Fortes use, dunno if that is true).

I had the key guy take my ignition key, and CAREFULLY cut the KK3 blank from the pointy end back to the grip. It's actually longer than what is needed, but who cares if the key is longer than needed. Once it's cut, take it out to your Forte and see if it unlocks your driver's door. If it does, you're all set!

Here goes: be sure your car is completely locked. Using your remote, push the UNLOCK button ONCE ONLY. This unlocks your driver's door ONLY. The other 3 doors remain locked. Now.... get inside your car, and use your factory key to start your car. Put all your settings to whatever you like (heat in winter, A/C in summer...)

Exit your car thru the driver's door. Close it. Using your NEW (aftermarket, non-KIA expensive-as-hell) KEY, insert it into the door lock, and turn it COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. This will lock ONLY the driver's door, and as the other 3 doors were locked before, the entire CAR will be locked!

The only downside to this is that if you do this, and someone throws a brick through a window, they can get inside your Forte and drive away.... I haven't had that bad luck (yet...).

Oh... and to prevent lock-out, I keep my spare key on my HOUSEKEY ring. This way, I never DON'T have a spare key for entry into my Forte.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My manual tranny locks at 20 mph and unlocks when the ignition is killed.

Sounds like Kia can help, according to KiaTech...Thanks for always helping out sir!

·
Registered
320 Posts
just wondering...would dealer charge for just changing the setting of the lock/unlock feature?
I would think at least a 1/2 hour service time...unless they are really into customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TK87 -

I had the key guy take my ignition key, and CAREFULLY cut the KK3 black from the pointy end back to the grip. It's actually longer than what is needed, but who cares if the key is longer than needed. Once it's cut, take it out to your Forte and see if it unlocks your driver's door. If it does, you're all set!
Good stuff TeeJay! I never considered that a plain key would unlock the doors. I'm going to get me one of those.

Thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
We'll program the locks, etc. or free usually within a few weeks of delivery, but if it's more than a month, it's a $75 charge for my time. Our sales team calls the customers about a week after delivery and chats them up, so they have caught a few people with requests for changes. It's not terribly popular, as the default settings work for most people, so they may not even know it's a possibility.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts