Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came from a Chevy Sonic that I had a custom tune on which made it so much better but I don’t see anything for a 2.0l NA, I have found for a turbo models. I was wondering if one exist or it’s too early? I also noticed KN and AEM just released “cold” air intakes for the car but theses seem to just be short ram intakes, any thoughts on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
AEM claims their cai gives more hp and tq increase than the k&n. Coming from the mustang world a cai doesn't do much without a tune. The only tuner I have found for the 2.0 is from Tork Motorsports.

·
Registered
7 Posts
AEM claims their cai gives more hp and tq increase than the k&n. Coming from the mustang world a cai doesn't do much without a tune. The only tuner I have found for the 2.0 is from Tork Motorsports. I think our cars have been over shadowed by the GT, which I am thinking about trading too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Haven't seen anyone tuning the 2.0L yet.. Not sure why anyone would begin either way.. tuning a NA motor won't yield impressive results like it would on a turbo build

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haven't seen anyone tuning the 2.0L yet.. Not sure why anyone would begin either way.. tuning a NA motor won't yield impressive results like it would on a turbo build

That is absolutely not true. I have had multiple N/A cars tuned and it was a night and day difference, especially if you have an auto trans. Having a power adder will always result in higher power than N/A but proper tuning with supporting mods on an N/A motor can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I can confirm that Tork Motorsports does indeed have tuning options for our 2.0 NA motor. I actually got this for my 2014 Forte5 EX:

2.0 NA OBDII port flash bundle

I had considered the lower cost option to send in your PCM to get flashed, but then when you add the cost of getting a spare stock one it's more than the OBDII port flash bundle. Plus I had no downtime. And it's just cool.

It took a little bit of time for it to adapt, but I am so glad I did this. Aside from a noticeable increase in power and torque, the best thing about this tune is there is no longer any annoying throttle lag at all. That alone makes driving the car so much better. I recently drove my friend's 2019 2.0 auto, and I forgot just how bad that throttle lag is.

I also installed a cold air intake and an upgraded exhaust which helps out the tune as well. And I added steering wheel paddle shifters, which are so much fun to use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is absolutely not true. I have had multiple N/A cars tuned and it was a night and day difference, especially if you have an auto trans. Having a power adder will always result in higher power than N/A but proper tuning with supporting mods on an N/A motor can make a huge difference.
Can you please explain what you mean by night & day difference?

Did you dyno the car to actually verify these results?

I can confirm that Tork Motorsports does indeed have tuning options for our 2.0 NA motor. I actually got this for my 2014 Forte5 EX:

I had considered the lower cost option to send in your PCM to get flashed, but then when you add the cost of getting a spare stock one it's more than the OBDII port flash bundle. Plus I had no downtime. And it's just cool.

It took a little bit of time for it to adapt, but I am so glad I did this. Aside from a noticeable increase in power and torque, the best thing about this tune is there is no longer any annoying throttle lag at all. That alone makes driving the car so much better. I recently drove my friend's 2019 2.0 auto, and I forgot just how bad that throttle lag is.

I also installed a cold air intake and an upgraded exhaust which helps out the tune as well. And I added steering wheel paddle shifters, which are so much fun to use.
Has your gas mileage changed at all?

·
Registered
208 Posts
You're right that NA engine can't benefit from tuning the way that a forced induction engine can, but NA engines can benefit from tuning. I'm very happy with the performance improvement mine has. I contemplated doing before/after dyno runs, but I didn't have a chance to do that. Tork has dyno results to look at though.

As far as mileage goes, mine hasn't really seemed to change much, although I do tend to have more fun on average which of course isn't good for mileage. :) But on a recent round trip drive from Austin to San Antonio (about 180 miles total) I did average about 38mpg.

·
Registered
58 Posts

I need more info on these paddle shifters

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts

All I see is tuning available for the 2.0 GDI engine. 2019s don't have the GDI, only the MPI, so...

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
103 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a tune for an NA engine. Modern engines are pretty much well tuned. My Mazda 3 has a tune available, but for the amount of money for the little torque and hp return, not worth it. Same goes for my VR6 powered VW, little return for the money put into it. Unless there is a bigger cam set up and/or ITB set up, I wouldn't bother, and even then, you would still need a tune to extract the power. If anything, I would do a replacement filter(k&n), an axle-back exhaust, light flywheel(if your car is manual) and a throttle controller like a sprint booster. If you notice the stock airbox, it is already a cold air intake as it takes the incoming air at the front of the car. The stock exhaust system is plenty big, and it is already mandrel bent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a tune for an NA engine. Modern engines are pretty much well tuned. My Mazda 3 has a tune available, but for the amount of money for the little torque and hp return, not worth it. Same goes for my VR6 powered VW, little return for the money put into it. Unless there is a bigger cam set up and/or ITB set up, I wouldn't bother, and even then, you would still need a tune to extract the power. If anything, I would do a replacement filter(k&n), an axle-back exhaust, light flywheel(if your car is manual) and a throttle controller like a sprint booster. If you notice the stock airbox, it is already a cold air intake as it takes the incoming air at the front of the car. The stock exhaust system is plenty big, and it is already mandrel bent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Well, I wanna tune it so I can turbo it. But, doesn't look like they do that for the Nu MPi engines 😭

1 - 13 of 13 Posts