Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now this isn't something I plan on fiddling with anytime right now, but maybe in 5 years I will attempt this.

I understand how crazy this sounds, thats why I'm interested!
First AWD Kia Forte? Well in 5 years itll prob be turbo with awd pushing 375 horsepower X.x

AWD Conversion - Automotive Articles .com Magazine

I also understand thats for an Eclipse :p
But it has seeded my mind with potential.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beastly lol. Bet thatd be around 30k too >.> like the 2012 VW R20, the current Evo MR and the WRX STi

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Reject its funny you posted this..
I have thought about this before,

back when I had my eclipse I found out there frame had all the holes set up for the awd.. like a talon so all you need was the drive train bolts awd tranny, but with the koup your going too
have your work cut out for you!
It would be one coool car thou Awd Koup
The all wheel drive transaxle is going to be a issue with trying to make the kia awd since of course they don't make them already :(

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it would be ALOT of work and a lot of fiddling around and fabrication. Would be beastly though xD

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
all evo internals in a koup.... or kia should just make this stuff for the people that just wanna go wild with there forte's.. ;D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I honestly dont think this would be too hard. The 2010 forte and 2010 evo only differ in width by half an inch. Meaning that more than likely the axles are the same width. Get an awd evo transmission and rear axle. Carve a tunnel where the spare tire goes and have a shop custom fab a driveshaft for ya. After that itd all be wiring. Many of the accessories and suspension componants should swap over from the evo. Its something ive always wanted to do since i got my koup. Putting my engine back together this week after months of sitting and a turbo will be my next project and after that i will be looking into the awd concept for myself.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
The Forte was not intent to have an independent suspension therefore you would have A LOT to do to fit an EVO rear suspension.
Beside that DSM swap in OP post is one conplicated job for a car that was design to be AWD......imagine when the car is NOT !!

·
Registered
81 Posts
My summer toy car happens to now be a 98 awd Eclipse turbo. The car started as I fwd (GST), last time I dyno'd it in fwd trim, it made 410whp/352ft/lbs on its daily street tune (ran more boost at the track). I blew up a tranny at the track & that was my motivation to ditch the fwd. Awd swap was the best thing I ever did to the car, 300-350+whp really is a waste in a fwd vehicle & I'd never build another, after the swap. Car currently makes ~550awhp, in street trim :biggrin2:

If you read through that article, while it is a good amount of work. None of it is really all that difficult & the amount of welding/fab work is fairly minimal. That swap is fairly straight forward because they made both fwd & awd of the same vehicle, so the majority of the parts are just bolt in. With the Forte, that wouldn't be the case. I would assume some major fab work would be required to complete this project & if you don't have the skills to do all/most of the work yourself, you better have very deep pockets (I spent 10K when I did the awd swap to my Eclipse, but that included a number of upgraded parts, including a 3.5K tranny & 2K suspension setup).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts