Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to BlackMagicKoup (AKA Brandon), my frame no longer smashes directly onto my sway bars. Since both of our cars are lowered in excess of 3+ inches, every time we would go over certain bumps or dips, our frames would come smashing straight down onto our sway bars, causing a loud clanking or thud sound (or in some cases, a continuous thud) since they're literally 1/4"-3/8" away from the frame. The axles are a little further away from the frame than the sway bars are, so it's natural to see more damage done to the sway bar arms than the axles themselves (as seen in the pictures below).

What Brandon did was wrap some 1" thick fabric sound deadening material around both sway bar arms along with 3 layers of Gorilla tape to finish everything off. You can purchase everything from Home Depot or Lowe's in the same section where they sell garage door seal.

I wasn't able to find the exact material that he used, so I ended up purchasing some 1/4" thick foam weather stripping. The reason why he used fabric is because it would be harder for the edge of the frame to cut through it over time. The frame will definitely cut straight through the foam sooner or later, but for now, it's perfect. Now, every time I come up to a bump or dip that would usually make me cringe, it's completely silent.

Driver's side before:

Wrapped up two layers, double wide:

3 layers of Gorilla tape applied:

Passenger side damage:

Driver's side, lowered back on the ground:

Passenger side back on the ground:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Those just slip right over the bar?

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
They have a split in them. You would have to secure them with worm clips but they would work pretty well. Personally I thinj im going to notch out that piece where it hits.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have a split in them. You would have to secure them with worm clips but they would work pretty well. Personally I thinj im going to notch out that piece where it hits.
The reason why I wanted to cushion that area was so I wouldn't have to notch the frame. I read on a few threads that when you notch the frame, your car is secretly totaled.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm lowered 3.25" and Brandon is about 1/2" lower than I am so we're rubbing on everything.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here's my 1 week update. Not surprisingly, the edge of the frame cut most of the way through on the passenger side and cut through only one layer of foam on the drivers side. After thinking about it, I decided to cover up the damaged areas with a few more layers of Gorilla tape and widen out the foam by covering another section a little further up the sway bar so that the foam would hit the center of the frame before the sway bar arm, where the edge is. I know, kinda hard to understand but you'll see in the pics below. The area that I covered is 3 layers thick instead of the 2 layers that I did before.

Damage on driver's side:

Section that I am going to cover:

Passenger side cut through about an inch up and rubbed some of the tar off:

What I'm hoping will happen is that the 3 layers of foam that will be contacting the center of the frame will cushion it enough to keep it from cutting it as bad as it did before. The good news is that even after the foam was cut through, I didn't hear any metal to metal contact. So at least I know the foam was doing it's job; dampening the rattling/metal knocking noises every time I would hit a bump. All I hear is a loud thud for a second.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know, a 1" longer end link would likely fix this problem permanently.
I've already searched online and haven't found any made specifically for the Forte. I've found a few universal ones though.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
You're not going to find them for a Forte. You're in unknown territory at this point, so throw away that info. You're going to have to measure what you have, and start hitting parts stores to find ones that are longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@bobzilla @ckkbleev Im having this same issue and I like bobzilla"s idea... I work at a jeep dealer and we're constantly lifting jeeps I'm gonna see if one of their old sway bar end links may be longer just installed my Megan coilovers and this is driving me crazy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts