Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would rarely happen before. Now it happens more often than not. I would guess there's just a connection being lost somewhere in between the head unit and the camera. How do I go about looking into that? I gave the camera a good push in just in case that would help. We'll see on my drive home if it does. This is one of the few features that I actually find extremely useful in parking lots or parallel parking downtown on a near daily basis. Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Occasionally, this happens with my wife's 2011 Tucson. What I've found is, if you start the car and then quickly shift into reverse (screen shows the backup camera) sometimes the screen will go black and stay that way. Turning the car off and back on doesn't reset it. It appears that only a significant time off (a couple minutes) will allow the screen to work again. I've gotten in the habit of not shifting into reverse until the Hyundai welcome screen comes on and then goes away, displaying the audio controls. Not sure why this is but it appears that the audio system gets "stuck" if you go into backup camera display before the system fully boots up. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestion. I'll try that. I have noticed that going into reverse camera mode too quickly can make it angry. But usually it just stutters a moment and then shows the back up camera and lines like usual.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Better...kind of

The suggestion of waiting to go into reverse didn't help. I literally pushed on the lens that is by the license plate on the trunk and this certainly helped. It probably works 50-60% of the time. This leads me to believe that there is likely a loose connection in the hatch itself and if I take off the interior paneling I can probably tighten that back up. Does that right to anyone else? Any other weak points that are possibly common to fail for backup cameras in general or my car in specific? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Since you are talking about 2014+ model, wouldn't warranty cover it? Maybe simple get the dealer to work on it?

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Bummer... But still, worth a shot. Maybe they know and easy, cheap fix.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think it's pretty easy to remove the rear camera assembly. I would at least check the wires going into the connector that plugs into the camera assembly. It sounds like something is loose and losing contact.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
My camera died yesterday. All I have is a blank screen when I shift into reverse. I found a TSB that covers my Forte, but since I'm at 90k miles, I'm out of warranty. The dealer said I can exchange the head unit for $650. According to the TSB - "Missing parking guide lines or a black/blank AVN screen are conditions indicative of an AVN system malfunction or harness issue related to that system and not a rear camera module concern". I've also started to have some occasional Bluetooth streaming issues, where the head unit disconnects from the phone until I hit play again on the screen. It never used to do that.

There are a few used nav systems on eBay for around $300. At this point, I think I'll wait to see what happens to my unit and live without the back up camera for now. Any other ideas out there?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mine on my 2014 Sedan has been a black screen for over a year and a half now. Same with my 2011 Sportage and my grandma's 2014 Cadenza. My mom's 2012 Optima's camera died, too, but hers was the only one still under warranty when it did. Service tech said he replaces cameras all the time, mostly on Sorentos and Optimas. I have a hard time believing it's the AVN...especially considering there have been no issues otherwise. My 2014 Forte has the factory NAV/tech package.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I was hoping that it was the camera, but since there are no guidelines, the TSB makes it pretty clear that it's not the camera, but the head unit. Yesterday, the camera and lines came on for a couple of seconds, but then went to a black screen. The camera is really expensive, over $300 from what I have seen on line. I guess I'll just live without it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Do you know what the TSB number is? I can't find it on the Kiatechinfo website.
\

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The TSB is Group ELE, Number 077, Date December 2014.

I took the camera out of the car, took it apart and cleaned it up. No change. I'm looking at a new head unit on eBay for $200. Looks good, but asking the guy selling it some questions like, how many miles did the car have when it was removed and if everything worked.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It sounds like a good time to ditch the factory stereo and upgrade to a much better aftermarket head unit with Android Auto or Apple Carplay!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
For some reason, my backup camera is working again! I'm not complaining, but after a week of just a black screen, I had given up on having a rear view camera. Today it started working again and has worked at least 3 times in a row. I'm glad I didn't buy another head unit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
For some reason, my backup camera is working again! I'm not complaining, but after a week of just a black screen, I had given up on having a rear view camera. Today it started working again and has worked at least 3 times in a row. I'm glad I didn't buy another head unit.
Sounds like a flaky connection somewhere. My guess is it will fail again, but hopefully not.

I really do love my android auto head unit though. Voice controlled google maps and texting makes it worth it for me, and the audio quality is no comparison. I love it so much I bought the same head unit for my 300zx I've been rebuilding and converted the dash to a double DIN size which really modernizes the look of the Z. I added a backup camera to the Z as well. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
UPDATE:
Found a camera on eBay for $67. Before buying, I wanted to make sure that my theory that it was the camera held water - and that it was not a head unit issue. Borrowed the camera out of my grandma's Sorento and plugged it in to my Forte. Everything, including the lines, came up when I put the car in reverse. Ordered the camera. Kia's TSB is bull.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I found a post on the Sorento site where a guy with a blank screen with no lines replaced the camera and it worked. Your experiment proves it. Can you post the link to the camera you bought? Mine is still working fine, but I would like an option if it goes out again. $300 for a Kia camera is ridiculous.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It was an LKQ listing on eBay. The only other one I see listed at the moment is for a Koup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts