Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I'm kinda of an HID expert, I need your help. I have a couple of videos and pictures below. so please tell me.

Bad Bulb ...... or is it a bad ballast.

In case you wanted to know:

55W DDM Ballast
On a Harness
The bad side misfire alot.
The bad side is the driver side.

Video of the problem
or
http://flic.kr/p/9opGKv

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
umm did you by chance touch the bulb when you put it in..
it could happen to anybody
maybe the bulbs just bad.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i touched the bulbs then i cleaned them with rubbing alcohol as recommended. But i don't remember which bulbs i touched. (i have 8 different bulbs).

any other ideas?

·
Registered
486 Posts
an easy way to decide which is bad is to just swap the bulbs from one side to the other. If the driver side stays bad then its the ballast. If the bad side moves to passenger its the bulb.

GL!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Pretty sure that's a bulb issue. A bad ballast wouldn't be causing those problems...so I think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks to me like one of the bulbs colour shifted this tends to happen with cheaper bulbs. Pull the bulb out and take a look at it if the element looks yellow ish or milky the bulb's fine, if it looks silver or black then it's a bulb issue. I would try swapping the bulbs first. if you have anymore questions PM me. I have a lot of knowledge with HID's.

Blair

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright guys, i've been out for the last hour messing around with it. I tried the ballast on 6 different bulbs ..... and it is a bad ballast. I also tried a different ballast on the same high-beam and it worked perfectly. so for now, (and probably forever) I'll be back to my halogen highbeams. (oh how i've missed instant light).

I am gonna try to claim a warranty on them and see where it goes from there. if it does work out, then i'll pronanly make them my lows (since they're 55)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts