Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 SX and have noted a gasoline odor in the car at times, have some soot on the tailpipe, and am getting 23 miles per gallon in mostly city driving.

I could have kept my BIG V-6 Impala and been getting better mileage. (Reliability was an issue, however!)

Any ideas why mileage is so poor (other than me being a lead foot?) Car has 7800 miles on it, fixing to go in for second service. I will check oil tomorrow evening when the car is home (left on base this afternoon, so I could drive a second vehicle home from there.)

Really OUGHT to be getting better mileage from this 4-cylinder than the heavier V-6 sedan it replaced.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
IDK about the fuel odor but Kia should resolve that issue. Are you "capping it off" when you fill up? If you overfill the tank it can cause the fuel odor, and poor MPG as it will clog up the CCV system. These cars are rated at 25MPG city, and with a led foot that could also cause poor MPGs.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I get like 22MPG mostly high way (lead foot). i know for sure i can get 34 mpg. i just need to improve my style of driving. any grannies out there wanna give me a lesson? hahaha

and as for the gas smell, i agree with the topping off, there's supposed to be like a coal filter or something at the top of the gas tube thats supposed to absorb the fumes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I should have added, My 1st tank of gas owning this car I got it to 430 miles and had .7 gallons left at fill up. :) (it held 13 gals even). I drive mostly highway, and usually 75-80MPH with A/C. I averaged 31.4MPG.

I miss my vette, but at $4/gal it was eating $80 every 250 - 300 miles or so. On top of that I had a BAD street racing habit and would regularly be doing 140 up to 167MPH on the interstate. I decided it was time to switch to a Forte to prevent killing myself, or worse yet someone else. I almost rear ended a durango at 145, and ended up off road to prevent hitting him @ 110mph. The Forte is much more tame, and I love all the included options / features. Hell the base model has more options than a higher prices Civic..

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Occasionally I'll top off by accident and I never get a gasoline smell in my Koup or any other car I've driven when I do top off.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You shouldn't top the tank off. That can ruin your fuel vapor canister. I think you may be looking at a repair situation. I stopped topping off my tank sometime ago after seeing what that practice could entail. When it clicks off, I stop and put the cap on. It'll even out.

Unless you kept meticulous fuel mileage figures on your Impala it is doubtful it got better fuel mileage. The heavier the vehicle, the worse the fuel mileage. You had a larger fuel tank and it gives the impression of better fuel mileage but when you do the arithmetic you will almost always find you don't get the mileage you think you do. The fuel tank on the Forte is only about 13.7 gallons while the Impala probably took 20 gallons.

And if you have a lead foot you will pay at the pump. That's always true, regardless of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
dude get it checked. less then 1000 miles into my forte the fuel line disconnected from my engine and left me calling roadside assistance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, all. Nothing found at dealer, but if others are getting 18-19 then I won't complain. The Impala was getting 22-23 mpg in the same general style of driving, but I don't have it now and have moved so a little hard to compare.

Forte got 32 mpg highway on its first trip. Impala got 29-30, 31 on long and flat trips.

Dealer could not find source of gasoline odor... and said the chintzy-feel and loud operation of the radio Volume lever on the steering wheel was "normal" despite the lever on the other side feeling more solid and operating quietly.

Oh well. 8000 miles and no other issues to date...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts