Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that the sheet metal near the factory jacking points is starting to separate. Just to be clear, I'm referring to the pinch-welded seams that run down the sides of the car. I'd like to safely lift the car for changing wheels/etc without putting more wear on these seams.

Where do you guys like to jack up your cars if you don't want to use these factory jacking points?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Umm the shower I guess... What an odd question to ask lol

Oh sorry, just read the rest of the thread...carry on...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I always try to lift my car by putting the jack under the control arms when possible. I noticed the same thing when I lifted my car up using the jack points while installing some of my strut bars. When I rested my car on jack stands I actually bent the jack point a bit. Both sides now have indents from where the jacks were resting.

When I saw it bend I almost crapped my pants. You need a jack with lots of surface area not small 2 ton jack stands like I used.

·
Registered
425 Posts
koopa....hahaha gross

·
Registered
511 Posts
Here's what I use. I notched a couple of two-by-fours about halfway through. The slot is about 5/16" wide. Then I fold one of those paper shop towels into four layers and set it on top. I use these with my floor jack and with axle stands.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The pinch weld adapter works great for the floor jack, but where to place the jack stands?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The pinch welds is where you place the jack stands man.
I called 3 different dealerships and they all said the same thing.... The pinch welds.
They also told me A good place to jack the vehicular before putting the stands is where the tow hooks are located on the subframe.
Damn unibody vehicles lol

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
The pinch welds is where you place the jack stands man.
I called 3 different dealerships and they all said the same thing.... The pinch welds.
They also told me A good place to jack the vehicular before putting the stands is where the tow hooks are located on the subframe.
Damn unibody vehicles lol
Make sure you don't jack under the rear towing hook. Someone else here did that and ended up jacking the tow hook trough their trunk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Make sure you don't jack under the rear towing hook. Someone else here did that and ended up jacking the tow hook trough their trunk
Well then..... Do you mean the whole subframe bent upwards and went through the guys trunk??? That no good. I know in the front the tow hook on that subframe is alright as long as you don't jack the rad support lol.
My question is where is a suitable place to jack the whole rear end up then?

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
If you look just inside of the pinch welds at the four points where the arms of a lift would go (just behind front tire and just in front of back tire) there are flat slightly protruding spots molded into the unibody. That is where I lift my car when using a four point lift. I try very hard to stay away from the pinch welds.

When using a floor jack I will use the tow hooks, never had an issue. I try to place the jack stands in same place inside of the pinch weld at the four points I described.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Well then..... Do you mean the whole subframe bent upwards and went through the guys trunk??? That no good. I know in the front the tow hook on that subframe is alright as long as you don't jack the rad support lol.
My question is where is a suitable place to jack the whole rear end up then?
Yup. Just did some searching to see if I could find the thread. It happened to xXRockAweaRXx ... http://www.forteforums.com/forums/forte-koup-general-discussion/11445-jacking-point-tow-hook-safe-place.html Definitely don't want it to happen to yours too. For jacking up the rear with a floor jack, just use the rear axle with a block of wood between the floor jack and the axle.

I try very hard to stay away from the pinch welds.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Same here

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
^^^ I need to get one of those. Since I lowered my car my old floor jack won't fit under anymore

·
Registered
482 Posts
for the prive it has been great. and with there 2 yr warranty you can return it for a new one at any time for any reason haha

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Yeah that's probably what I'll end up getting. The one I have now I got from harbor freight and I've had it for 2 or 3 years with a 2 yr warranty and it's been great. And I work right down the road from where harbor freight is in my area so if I ever have any problems it's not too far to go to get a new one. i know everyone likes to knock their tools because they're not as durable as other places... but honestly i picked up a 60 pc toolset for $25 and it has a lifetime warranty on it. I had a ratchet break on me and I took it back, didn't have my receipt (and I bought it like 2 years ago) and they just gave me a new one free no questions asked. Can't beat that...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts