Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm planning on getting the TK CAI and exhaust setup. Other than these, are there any DIY mods that can improve MPG?
Even if it's 1-2 MPG, i'm good with that.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Get a lightweight pulley, less stress on the motor. Only problem with these mods are the temptations to give it more gas to let the car purrr. Hah best of luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
One thing mentioned in the owners manual is to use 5W20 oil instead of 5W30. This past weekend when I changed my oil I used the 5W20. I will see if there is any improvement.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I wouldn't want to discourage someone from a CAI, exhaust or even the lightweight pulley but after spending several hundred dollars it will be a long time to break even on the gas even if an improvement is seen.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Spicyredkoup, has a really good point, the cost would be around a thousand dollars before and to see any real saving it would be crazy to actually be efficient. You could always get the CAI and exhaust and justify it by saying its for gas milage.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drive interstate 100miles a day and set the cruise at 65mph and let the car do the work. I might give it the gas a few times here and there, but at 2000 miles a month, any fuel I can squeeze out of it will help.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well if you want to do then I would recommend Turbo-kits CAI, RRM lightweight pulley and which ever exhuast that tickles your fancy. With that combine and cruis control on you should see about a 2-4 mpg improvement. Just my 2 cents. I have those installed and I will back it up.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the Light Pulley sounds like that's about it.
This is a bit more than I was wanting to spend, but what about the CF Hood? Will the cut in weight help?

·
Registered
196 Posts
There are also low rolling resistance tires. With driving 2000 miles a month it would be something to consider when the tires are needed. I wouldn't necessarily switch over right away.

Each mod mentioned could help to some degree and they are already listed on your planned mods.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So the Light Pulley sounds like that's about it.
This is a bit more than I was wanting to spend, but what about the CF Hood? Will the cut in weight help?

Sure but it's minimal. If you want to drop weight it may be cheaper to strip the trunk, remove spare tire, light weight battery, etc. CF hood will drop some weight but again you are spending a lot of money you will never see a return on unless you drive the car for 1,000,000 miles or more.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I figured the hood was WAY out of my price range. If I can see 4mpg better, I expect to see ROI in about 4 years. That and it helps me talk my wife into getting some mods done on the car. :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think you might get better gas mileage with a drop in replacement filter. Dyno showed better gains on the low end where most city driving is done while most of the gains from the cai don't come till the higher rpms

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you might get better gas mileage with a drop in replacement filter. Dyno showed better gains on the low end where most city driving is done while most of the gains from the cai don't come till the higher rpms
I'm confused, 95% of my driving is HWY, not City. I run at 65mph about 2k RPMs.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think a drop in plus a better flowing exhaust will help out while keeping your investment cost down. Probably get both for cost of a cai

·
Registered
532 Posts
That's low rpms I think cai gains are like at 5 to 6k i don't remember you aren't racing your car. You are looking for mpg improvements not go fast mods

·
Site Sponsor
1,809 Posts
Have you seen a DYNO for the drop in and a DYNO for a CAI? Our CAI DYNO shows a gain from start to finish in HP and TQ ;)

That's low rpms I think cai gains are like at 5 to 6k i don't remember you aren't racing your car. You are looking for mpg improvements not go fast mods

·
Registered
284 Posts
Cheapest:

-Weight reduction, throw out spare, trunk clutter, etc - take a crap before you drive, dont fill all the way up on gas fill up to 1/4 or 1/2 tank (i dont know how our cars are built but there is a slight chance you may over heat your fuel pump in the summer if your always running on empty and if the pump is at the bottom of the tank).

-Make sure your ontop of your matinece - oil changes, tire pressure, etc.

-Draft behind bigger vehcicles, dont use ac/fan blower, windows up. change your driving habbits.

Expensive:

-Air intake (K&N/AEM Drop in is abut 60-70bucks) or you can get CAI

-Exhuast.

-RRM Pully

-Carbonfibre hood, trunk (if someone makes these)

-Other money mods listed on this site

1 - 20 of 28 Posts