Kia Forte Forum banner

421 - 426 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this post is long dead, but I just did this today on my '11 Koup SX and let me tell you it's like learning how to left foot brake again regarding the sensitivity. I did it like some of the other guys suggested and adjusted it while the car was running to be able to fine tune it. Also, it did throw a CEL but with the learning ECU, I am sure that it will go off in the next couple of days. Now just to run it hard so it gets used to that. If anyone has any questions, just let me know. Best!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Just did this to my 2011 SX hatchback. The job took about 20 minutes. I completely removed the pedal from the firewall to do this job. One to be able to back probe the harness easier and, two, to make the adjustments on the pedal easier. Some things I found out that might not be clear in this thread:
1. The top right screw should be completely removed while the other 4 just need to be loosened very slightly.
2. You do not have to start the engine, just turn the car ON but not start.
3. I found it easier to remove the pedal, make the adjustment then reconnect the wiring harness to test. I did that 3 times. Once I got the number I wanted I reinstalled the pedal.

As stated in the thread, don't adjust over 1.00 or you will raise your idle. A reading of 0.95 is about the prefect reading. The factory setting of mine gave a reading of 0.79 That was way off and explains the tip-in dead spot. My first adjustment got me to 0.91 I tried for better and it slipped back to 0.83 The last try put it at 0.93

Great mod I highly recommend.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Question: would that work on the 2nd generation as well? ours are sometimes rather phlegmatic, when accelerating, need a lot of throttle input to get going again, and then the auto gearbox goes 2 gears up, which is not the desire effect at all.

·
Super Moderator
277 Posts
Question: would that work on the 2nd generation as well?
Would be interesting to check it out. I would assume it's quite similar.

I'll definitely be doing this in the upcoming week and am very excited. Hope it gets rid of that little lag that makes most shifts jerky as well as frequent stalls off the line.
So I finally got around to doing it a few weeks back. Been waiting to post my impressions as I wasn't very impressed at first. After running with it for a while, I like it. At first I hated it and found it difficult to get used to (I guess from driving with the pedal being so unresponsive for so long). After a few days I got used to it. It's definitely no "OMG THIS IS A MIRACLE mod" -- it just makes the gas pedal engage higher up (like, RIGHT at the top if you set it to ~0.97). I was thinking of backing it down to 0.85~0.90 cuz I felt 0.97 was too sensitive/touchy, but it's fine now. I dunno about other 2010 SXs but I found mine was always VERY easy to stall and this definitely helped with that, it's smoother/quicker off the line. I did over-rev my shifts the first few times though :D

To be noted (thanks @NovaResource for helping me figure it out!) -- you need to loosen all 5 screws and really back out/almost remove the top right one. I had loosened all screws A LOT and the damn thing wasn't "rotating" -- after checking with Nova, he told me about that top right screw and after backing it out like 1 more turn, the whole thing was then able to "rotate".

TLDR: The mod is nice and worth doing, it's not a miracle but helps the clunky shifts.

421 - 426 of 426 Posts