Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just got a brand new, black, Forte Koup. It's incredibly hard to keep clean, and I was wondering whether you guys clean your cars by hand or do you take it to an automated wash like Sunoco (touchless)?

I'm also interested in opinions regarding wax. Is it a good idea to apply wax? If so what brand do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I have a black sedan sx and it's a bitch to keep clean. Just be prepared to wash it a lot.

I actually bought a product called 5 star shine which is a paint protective system. Just applied it last week and the paint looks badass. However it gets just as dirty etc. It was rather expensive. Like $60 USD.

Gonna wash it tomorrow with the ph wash an see how it comes out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for showing me that wing. Ive been wanting to find a way to take out those swirl marks. And they have red :D Ive put two coats of Nu Finish on mine and it shines great but my red forte gets dirty easily too. I have to wash it at least once a week, 2 if I find the time, and to me there is no other way then do it yourself. That way you get to know you car better too, like the imperfections in the paint and know where you need to touch up, I think it makes you prouder to drive it as well. And I keep a bottle of bug and tar remover with polishing cloths in my trunk, you never know when you need a quick touch up...

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have tried numerous polishes and they all look great until a half a dozen washes then the swirl marks re-appear on my black Forte. I think I will stick to McGuires it's a Canaba based wax at least it's easy to apply and polish off

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Rule # 1: Always use an Absorbent Chamois (a.k.a. Shammy) if you use anything else to dry your car you will ALWAYS end up with swirl marks. I recommend using the synthetic ones instead of the sheep skin/leather (these will not be usable within a month of using them). The "shamwow" (if you wanna buy brand name) or go to Super Absorbent Chamois / Shammy Cloths, Chamois Floor Mops, Car Care & Pet Grooming Supply
(that's where I bought mine, Identical to the shamwow product (made in Germany))

I use Meguiars' DEEP CRYSTAL® CAR WASH, buy it from Wal-Mart for like 5$(USD).. it smells really good when I wash the car..

2. Wax!!!... once again, I like Meguiars' DEEP CRYSTAL® SYSTEM CARNAUBA WAX... it's part of a 3 step system (clean, polish, wax).. don't see the need of this 3 step process since our cars are new..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard numeour things so far. I'm starting to think a wash followed by a quick spray wax is enough. But I am nowhere near knowledgable on this subject, just going off of what some pros say.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I've heard numeour things so far. I'm starting to think a wash followed by a quick spray wax is enough. But I am nowhere near knowledgable on this subject, just going off of what some pros say.
wax every 6 months (or so they say) or until the water doesn't bubble up anymore..

·
Registered
526 Posts
For drying the car I would recommend using a leaf blower(that's right!). You will thank me later. The less you touch your car with towels and cloths the better. This tip was given to me from a very respected detail shop and I have done it myself and it cuts drying time in half with no water spots and even blows the water out of the nooks and crannys. Try it out!

·
Registered
695 Posts
For a black car, I highly recommend Turtle Wax Color Magic Black. It is a color match wax and does a nice job covering up swirls. One thing a person with a black car should have.

Turtle Wax - Color Magic Car Polish

Has anyone else use this brand of wax, i want something that wont leave those swirl marks on the hood and everywhere else for that matter.

Besides the leaf blower any other drying suggestions

·
Registered
576 Posts
For drying the car I would recommend using a leaf blower(that's right!). You will thank me later. The less you touch your car with towels and cloths the better. This tip was given to me from a very respected detail shop and I have done it myself and it cuts drying time in half with no water spots and even blows the water out of the nooks and crannys. Try it out!
I just do a quick trip around the block to get rid of water, it's cheaper

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
WOW never thought of that... when I get a Lamborghini that's probably what I will do.. :D

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yea, we use a leaf blower to dry off our motorcycles... but I have never used it on the cars...not really sure why ... hahah maybe i'll try, but I think wiping it down just gives that nice satisfaction once you wipe it away and see that shine to it!

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
For those with leather seats, I highly recommend Z-9 and Z-10. Z-10 smells like leather and gives it a soft touch.

For windows, I like Sprayway glass cleaner ( Home Depot $2.38 a can). Ammonia free so its safe for the tints =]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts