Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first car forte sx sweet orange, got the sx at the same cost for the ex :D. I live in Puerto Rico and roads here get harsh exposure to a lot of rain and hot sun. (water is the enemy of asphalt) Plus they dont get enough maintenance to keep it up. So the "sport suspension" it has its just terrible here. Plus it has the 17" rims less rubber more bumps to feel. What do you recommend to do? I dont know anything about suspension.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
My first car forte sx sweet orange, got the sx at the same cost for the ex :D. I live in Puerto Rico and roads here get harsh exposure to a lot of rain and hot sun. (water is the enemy of asphalt) Plus they dont get enough maintenance to keep it up. So the "sport suspension" it has its just terrible here. Plus it has the 17" rims less rubber more bumps to feel. What do you recommend to do? I dont know anything about suspension.

I would gladly change the rims to 16" black but i dont know if the chrome handles will fit the style. I hate those chrome handles...
No idea on the suspension but I believe you can swap out your door handles

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Well if tire rubber is a problem with the sx wheels, you can down size to 16's. As far as suspension goes, I havnt a clue.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Rapol wrote:I live in Puerto Rico and roads here get harsh exposure to a lot of rain and hot sun. (water is the enemy of asphalt) Plus they dont get enough maintenance to keep it up. So the "sport suspension" it has its just terrible here. Plus it has the 17" rims less rubber more bumps to feel. What do you recommend to do? I dont know anything about suspension.
Start saving money first:) Are you close to a reputable car tuning shop that you could ask what other modified cars have done and what has worked & what has not? As for the "rain". You could also enquire about sipping youre current tires or buy tires with better wet traction performance. for starters.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well i think im goin with the 16 wheels. Gotta start researching prices. For the suspension need to talk to a professional then. Thx for the fast reply. Stock wheels for sell : )

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well i think im goin with the 16 wheels. Gotta start researching prices. For the suspension need to talk to a professional then. Thx for the fast reply. Stock wheels for sell : )
if you're worried about the wet traction - www.tirerack.com have a blast, best website for tires on the net

·
Registered
11 Posts
and i'm not really understanding your deal with the suspension.. if you reword it i can probably help..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont have a problem with the rain(wet traction) i was trying to explain that the roads(not all of them) are full of holes because of the constant rain and no regular upkeep. I want to change the sport suspension for something more "cushion" thats my problem.

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you live in an area with bad roads [potholes and cracks] then the forte koup sx might not be the best choice of car. I have alreay blew three tires here in NJ - and I am a very mild non aggressive mindful driver. The SX has a really good sport tuned suspension and to make it drive like a 4 door buick park avenue will be very expensive and will ruin the wonderful driving characteristics of the car. If you knew this when you were shopping for a car - why didnt you buy a car with a more comfortable ride to begin with - like the KIA SUV?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
When you go 16" maybe look at more durable steel belted to handle those potholes with good rain traction rating.

You could install a trucker's air ride seat :) j/k

·
Registered
511 Posts
Don't expect much ride improvement from 16" wheels.

My wife has an 2009 Elantra Limited. MUCH softer ride, but much worse handling. It has 16" wheels. So I swapped her wheels onto my SX. There might have been a difference in ride quality but not much. Maybe a 10% to 15% improvement at best.

I suggest you try to find some way to temporarily swap wheels with someone before you put out the money for new ones.

·
Registered
453 Posts
ultraracing.com .......will stiffen the car up. i notice on the highway doing 60+mph it feels like im all over the place, like getting hit by the wind but just back and forth. but if it potholes, swerve around them or get stiffer shocks/springs

·
Registered
129 Posts
stiffer will be worse on bad roads. He wants a softer ride not harder. I'm not sure if the coilovers have that much adjustablity for the Forte. But if you could adjust the rebound, that's what you'ld want to do.

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thx for the replies. Im not willing to spend much money cuz ima start my first year in college away from home. So the coilovers are out of the list. Ive only had the forte for a month now and im starting to get used to it. Im actually looking for some 16 inch wheels and thats it. Future upgrades guaranteed but not now.

P.s What the heck are these?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts