Votes: 2 28.6%
  • You monster...

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Parking lots can be pretty dangerous places. Luckily neither of us were hurt. Neither of our airbags popped either.

Anyone here know if she's gonna be a write-off? Is (was?) great on gas and a smooth ride.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I haven't had to deal with an car insurance claim in so long I don't know if the insurance company will repair it or total it...

That's a shame - good that no one was hurt.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Insurance company's are pretty funny. I've seen cars that should never have been totalled declared totalled by them. And I've seen cars that should have been totalled fixed by them.

If they do total it, make sure they value it based on the current market value for it since used cars are insanely overpriced right now. Don't take no shit from them. And if it's the other drivers insurance covering it then you can be sure they'll try. Call your insurance company instead and see if they'll handle the totalled car claim. Then they'll just go after the other insurance company for the money. Do whichever is best for you.

Glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Insurance company's are pretty funny. I've seen cars that should never have been totalled declared totalled by them. And I've seen cars that should have been totalled fixed by them.

If they do total it, make sure they value it based on the current market value for it since used cars are insanely overpriced right now. Don't take no shit from them. And if it's the other drivers insurance covering it then you can be sure they'll try. Call your insurance company instead and see if they'll handle the totalled car claim. Then they'll just go after the other insurance company for the money. Do whichever is best for you.

Glad no one was hurt.
It was a parking lot so I guess in Canada that's considered no-fault for both...but it's really shared fault.

My insurance is covering it. I have depreciation waiver so if it's totalled they just settle my loan for me.

I get an estimate of the parts and labour cost along with the detailed damage report on Tuesday but I'm just anxious whether I should be car shopping already or waiting to get my KDM back.

Appreciate the input. I've also seen a challenger that was practically rebuilt from the frame up done by an insurance company and sold off at auction so...they must go by their own rules.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If there's no engine damage and both airbags are intact, it's most likely repairable. It's only when both airbags go off and there's extensive engine damage that they will consider it a write off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had an accident last july in my 2011 forte sedan ex, driver side air bag deployed and driver seat belt locking mechanism deployed also. Those things triggered my air bag control module so my air bag light cant be erased with a scanner, the module needs to be replaced. But long story short I fixed it myself and decided to go with a koup front end.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there's no engine damage and both airbags are intact, it's most likely repairable. It's only when both airbags go off and there's extensive engine damage that they will consider it a write off.
Idk how much damage there is, but the upper tie bar is bent in a "V" shape and pushed about a foot or 2 into the engine. Left side part of the front end is smashed halfway into the intake box. I guess it depends on what it hit and such. The undercarriage was bent near the front right quarter panel as well.
I had an accident last july in my 2011 forte sedan ex, driver side air bag deployed and driver seat belt locking mechanism deployed also. Those things triggered my air bag control module so my air bag light cant be erased with a scanner, the module needs to be replaced. But long story short I fixed it myself and decided to go with a koup front end.
That looks really nice! You did a great job. Wouldn't even know anything happened to it and looks sporty. May I ask how much it cost you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Idk how much damage there is, but the upper tie bar is bent in a "V" shape and pushed about a foot or 2 into the engine. Left side part of the front end is smashed halfway into the intake box. I guess it depends on what it hit and such. The undercarriage was bent near the front right quarter panel as well.

That looks really nice! You did a great job. Wouldn't even know anything happened to it and looks sporty. May I ask how much it cost you?
I got the hood, both headlights, front fenders, core support and seatbelt tensioner from the junk yard roughly about $280 for all. The front bumper with grille and bezel for $320, radiator $150 and 2 air bags, clock spring, and 2 belt tensioners $100 (all came as a package) from a salvage yard. I had no engine damage just plastics got broken. I still need to replace the windshield and air bag module but thats about it. Insurance didnt want to cover the damages so thats why I did it myself.

·
Registered
481 Posts
View attachment 82738

Parking lots can be pretty dangerous places. Luckily neither of us were hurt. Neither of our airbags popped either.

Anyone here know if she's gonna be a write-off? Is (was?) great on gas and a smooth ride.
What we cannot see, is whether the engine has shifted or not, and if and how the subframe/suspension are bent or not. Does the passenger door open? A-pillar may be bent, too.If it is a close call, you can ask your insurance company, their verdict will consider your wishes. If you prefer to have it repaired and it's a close call, they will repair, if you prefer a new car, they will declare it total. Only when it's close mind you. Good luck, man!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the hood, both headlights, front fenders, core support and seatbelt tensioner from the junk yard roughly about $280 for all. The front bumper with grille and bezel for $320, radiator $150 and 2 air bags, clock spring, and 2 belt tensioners $100 (all came as a package) from a salvage yard. I had no engine damage just plastics got broken. I still need to replace the windshield and air bag module but thats about it. Insurance didnt want to cover the damages so thats why I did it myself.
Seems like it didn't cost you much at all. Impressive.
What we cannot see, is whether the engine has shifted or not, and if and how the subframe/suspension are bent or not. Does the passenger door open? A-pillar may be bent, too.If it is a close call, you can ask your insurance company, their verdict will consider your wishes. If you prefer to have it repaired and it's a close call, they will repair, if you prefer a new car, they will declare it total. Only when it's close mind you. Good luck, man!
Passenger door does not open, passenger side quarter panel is pushed through the wheel well and into the tire. Quarter panel on the other side is pushed in as well but it's not as far into the wheel well. Drivers side door opens. That's about as much as I got to see when it was at the collision center.

Appreciate that . If they use all OEM parts, I'd be happy to have her back.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Has your insurance company scheduled to have an adjuster look at your car yet?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Heck, I'd offer to buy it from the insurance company for $500 and replace all of the parts myself. Be a lot cheaper than buying a new car. Looks to me like all it needs is a new front clip. Is there structural damage to the frame?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HOLY $#!^!

Maybe time to buy a new one to replace it?
Most likely picking up my new car Monday. 2014 Kia Optima SX Turbo. I figure I'd go older and see what it's like. Excited to hop in another kia though, nothing but good things to say about the Forte!
Heck, I'd offer to buy it from the insurance company for $500 and replace all of the parts myself. Be a lot cheaper than buying a new car. Looks to me like all it needs is a new front clip. Is there structural damage to the frame?
It's some extensive damage to the frame. I'll admit I don't have the extensive knowledge or capital to fix it. It is what it is unfortunately. Even though I'm getting all my money back, it's still a shame to see a nice car like that junked.

Thanks for the responses and good wishes everyone.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
832 Posts
From the exterior damages from the pics, that Kia is a total loss. Someone will buy it as salvage/rebuilt title unless it goes straight to the crusher.

Engine, transmission & the ever elusive effing whenever it rains/carwash find & stop them if you can leaks.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
832 Posts

Wife & I drove to Houston for buy all interior parts for her "clean & clear" 2007 Toyota Scion TC 2.4L auto 2AZ-FE.

Title stated as rebuilt/salvaged. 🤬🤬🤬🤬

1 - 19 of 19 Posts