Kia Forte Forum banner
  • Question of The Week Is LIVE In The Off-Topic Section!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am new to the forum however, I have been lurking here on and off for a year! But I have a very weird problem...

I have a 2013 Forte Koup Ex w/ Spoiler. Here is the strange problem that I suspect has been there since the day I bought it brand new. A friend of mine pointed out this problem to me today when he was driving behind me.

• If the headlights are off and I press the brake pedal, ONLY the spoiler brake light will illuminate, the left and right brake lights DO NOT illuminate.

• If I turn on the headlights, the left and right brakes lights illuminate and STAY ON!!!
Since the brakes lights stay on when the headlights are on, it only leaves the spoiler brake light to function as intended.

Does anyone have any clue on what could possibly be causing this anomaly? It is under warranty but I won't be able to take it in until next weekend. If I can, and it's a simple step, I would like to figure it out before then and save time from going to the dealership.

My only guess is the wiring for the brake lights was plugged into an incorrect harness from the assembly line. But I don't know...

I have made no mods to my car as of yet, so everything is stock.

Any advice or feedback would be more than greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Was the spoiler Dealer installed. If so take it back to your dealer . Wherever it was installed they should warranty it . IMO only..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Was the spoiler Dealer installed. If so take it back to your dealer . Wherever it was installed they should warranty it . IMO only..
Honestly, I am not sure. I bought the car new and the spoiler was already on the car.

The thing is, the spoiler brake light is the only one working correctly.

Like i said, I will take it to the Kia Service Dept next weekend since it's under warranty. But if anyone has a possible solution to fix it, then I will give it a shot before then.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It could be related to the brake switch recall. The recall sates that the break lights may not work or stay illuminated when the brake pedal is depressed. Usually the light telling you traction traction control is off will be on as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be related to the brake switch recall. The recall sates that the break lights may not work or stay illuminated when the brake pedal is depressed. Usually the light telling you traction traction control is off will be on as well.
Oh wow, I was not aware of a recall on that! I never received a notice either. Maybe that could be the problem...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a Heads Up!

Over the weekend I inspected the bulbs and they appeared fine and I was able to go to the Kia Service Dept.

The problem was the bulbs themselves. They have two filaments in them, not one. BOTH the right and left brake light had blown braking filaments however, the filament for when you turn on the headlights still functioned.

I was certain (but incorrect) it was a brake switch or an electrical issue as the odds of BOTH bulbs losing the only the filament for the brakes seemed slim...Still scratching my head on that one.

Long story short, if this happens to you, pick up a pack of bulbs from your favorite auto parts store first and try them. I can't believe I didn't do the obvious.

Thanks for your responses guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I am new to the forum however, I have been lurking here on and off for a year! But I have a very weird problem...

I have a 2013 Forte Koup Ex w/ Spoiler. Here is the strange problem that I suspect has been there since the day I bought it brand new. A friend of mine pointed out this problem to me today when he was driving behind me.

• If the headlights are off and I press the brake pedal, ONLY the spoiler brake light will illuminate, the left and right brake lights DO NOT illuminate.

• If I turn on the headlights, the left and right brakes lights illuminate and STAY ON!!!
Since the brakes lights stay on when the headlights are on, it only leaves the spoiler brake light to function as intended.

Does anyone have any clue on what could possibly be causing this anomaly? It is under warranty but I won't be able to take it in until next weekend. If I can, and it's a simple step, I would like to figure it out before then and save time from going to the dealership.

My only guess is the wiring for the brake lights was plugged into an incorrect harness from the assembly line. But I don't know...

I just had this happen to me with my 2010 forte koup. The right and left tail light brakes were not working when braking. A sheriff pulled me over to tell me that both rake lights are not working and it due to a possible wiring problem that must be fixed as soon as possible bec it's too dangerous to be driving it. I brought it to jiffy lube the next morning bec they are the quickest and they just changed the bulbs and told me it was fixed. They couldn't get the car out of the garage bec it wasn't shifting out of park. They then manually shifted it to neutral and said in order for it to park I must put it into neutral and pull the ebrake up. They said it's an internal problem that the dealership needs to fix but it's fine to drive for now. So I drive it to work and I parked it the way they told me to. At lunch I brought out a coworker to double heck that the brakes were lighting up and they weren't. We were referred to a mechanic across the street who would give me a good deal and went to drive the car in reverse to back out of the parking space and it was not shifting into reverse. So I gave the keys to the mechanic when later called me that he had to manually start it bec the key would not turn in the ignition because the brake wiring wasn't responding to allow for the car to start. He told me it was the wiring of the brakes that tossed and burnt through the shifter to the fuse. He said he gives this all the time and it only happens in KIA's. So I called kia corporate and told them what happened and I said I noticed online that there's about a million recalls across the board and the 4 door version of my car from the same year 2010 is on the list but not the 2 door. They wouldn't even put it on record bec a kia mechanic didn't diagnose the problem and then they told me several more reports have to go in before a recall is made. I said so how many people have to die bec their brake lights aren't working and they are driving in the pitch black. They told me it's the rules.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I just had this happen to me with my 2010 forte koup. The right and left tail light brakes were not working when braking. A sheriff pulled me over to tell me that both brake lights are not working and it maybe due to a possible wiring problem that must be fixed as soon as possible because it's too dangerous to be driving it. I brought it to jiffy lube the next morning because they are the quickest and they just changed the bulbs and told me it was fixed. They couldn't get the car out of the garage because it wasn't shifting out of park. They then manually shifted it to neutral and said in order for it to park I must put it into neutral and pull the ebrake up. They said it's an internal problem that the dealership needs to fix but it's fine to drive for now. So I drove it to work and I parked it the way they told me to. At lunch I brought out a coworker to double check that the brakes were lighting up and they weren't. We were referred to a mechanic across the street who would give me a good deal and went to drive the car in reverse to back out of the parking space and it was not shifting into reverse. So I gave the keys to the mechanic when later called me that he had to manually start it because the key would not turn in the ignition due to the brake wiring wasn't responding to allow for the car to start. He told me it was the wiring of the brakes that crossed and burnt through the shifter to the fuse. He said he sees this all the time and it only happens in KIA's. So I called kia corporate and told them what happened and I said I noticed online that there's about a million recalls across the board and the 4 door version of my car from the same year 2010 is on the list but not the 2 door. They wouldn't even put it on record because a kia mechanic didn't diagnose the problem and then they told me several more reports have to go in before a recall is made. I said so how many people have to die because their brake lights aren't working when they are driving in the pitch black? They told me it's the rules.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had this happen to me with my 2010 forte koup. The right and left tail light brakes were not working when braking. A sheriff pulled me over to tell me that both brake lights are not working and it maybe due to a possible wiring problem that must be fixed as soon as possible because it's too dangerous to be driving it. I brought it to jiffy lube the next morning because they are the quickest and they just changed the bulbs and told me it was fixed. They couldn't get the car out of the garage because it wasn't shifting out of park. They then manually shifted it to neutral and said in order for it to park I must put it into neutral and pull the ebrake up. They said it's an internal problem that the dealership needs to fix but it's fine to drive for now. So I drove it to work and I parked it the way they told me to. At lunch I brought out a coworker to double check that the brakes were lighting up and they weren't. We were referred to a mechanic across the street who would give me a good deal and went to drive the car in reverse to back out of the parking space and it was not shifting into reverse. So I gave the keys to the mechanic when later called me that he had to manually start it because the key would not turn in the ignition due to the brake wiring wasn't responding to allow for the car to start. He told me it was the wiring of the brakes that crossed and burnt through the shifter to the fuse. He said he sees this all the time and it only happens in KIA's. So I called kia corporate and told them what happened and I said I noticed online that there's about a million recalls across the board and the 4 door version of my car from the same year 2010 is on the list but not the 2 door. They wouldn't even put it on record because a kia mechanic didn't diagnose the problem and then they told me several more reports have to go in before a recall is made. I said so how many people have to die because their brake lights aren't working when they are driving in the pitch black? They told me it's the rules.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I just had this happen to me with my 2010 forte koup. The right and left tail light brakes were not working when braking. A sheriff pulled me over to tell me that both rake lights are not working and it due to a possible wiring problem that must be fixed as soon as possible bec it's too dangerous to be driving it. I brought it to jiffy lube the next morning bec they are the quickest and they just changed the bulbs and told me it was fixed. They couldn't get the car out of the garage bec it wasn't shifting out of park. They then manually shifted it to neutral and said in order for it to park I must put it into neutral and pull the ebrake up. They said it's an internal problem that the dealership needs to fix but it's fine to drive for now. So I drive it to work and I parked it the way they told me to. At lunch I brought out a coworker to double heck that the brakes were lighting up and they weren't. We were referred to a mechanic across the street who would give me a good deal and went to drive the car in reverse to back out of the parking space and it was not shifting into reverse. So I gave the keys to the mechanic when later called me that he had to manually start it bec the key would not turn in the ignition because the brake wiring wasn't responding to allow for the car to start. He told me it was the wiring of the brakes that tossed and burnt through the shifter to the fuse. He said he gives this all the time and it only happens in KIA's. So I called kia corporate and told them what happened and I said I noticed online that there's about a million recalls across the board and the 4 door version of my car from the same year 2010 is on the list but not the 2 door. They wouldn't even put it on record bec a kia mechanic didn't diagnose the problem and then they told me several more reports have to go in before a recall is made.
First, there's no need to post this 3 times.

Second, there's been a recall on thousands of Hyundai and Kia cars due to the brake light switch dating back to 2006. This is nothing new. It's a bad switch at the brake pedal that operates the lights as well as the starting issue and the cruise control. Many times when the switch goes bad, not only do the brake lights not work but the car won't shift out of park and the cruise control won't set. Check/replace the switch.

SEARCH is your friend:
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/koup-general-discussion/49081-brake-light-switch-recall.html
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/sedan-general-discussion/39258-safety-recall-notice.html
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/koup-general-discussion/6931-electronic-stability-control-problem.html
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/noobie-questions-forum/90377-no-brake-lights-won-t-go-into-gear.html

I said so how many people have to die bec their brake lights aren't working and they are driving in the pitch black.
Seriously? Nobody is going to die because of brake lights not working. Stop being Chicken Little crying the sky is falling. The rear parking lights still work in the dark when the headlights are on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently having that issue myself almost exactly as you described it, except i found the wires to my third brake light on my spoiler were snapped, me and a friend cut the insulation away cause we could feel that they were broken through it, now all 3 lights dont work, and my traction control light is on, but idk if anyone else had the issue, but mine locked me out of gear no matter what i did, until i forced it and broke the shiftlock. we tried touching those wires together and i think it popped a fuse if they touched backwards, but i dont know what to do

1 - 12 of 12 Posts