Kia Forte Forum banner

Block Heater

9K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Thunderbuck 
#1 ·
Has anybody had the kia block/pan heater installed? The dealer here sells them for 99 bucks installed on the car.

#4 ·
Only cars purchased in 'cold climates' will come with a block heater, usually. Vancouver and southern Ontario don't need 'em as often as we do up here in the frozen wastelands.

The block heater is a 'dry' type, 400W element that slides into a machined slot in the block. Advantages are quicker install times and better heat distribution than with a 'wet' type in the coolant.

As a rule, if your car didn't come with a block heater and your winter start ups are in temps below -15 C (0 F or so) then you will be nicer to your car to have it plugged in. Temps over that do not require a plug in, and it's a complete waste of power.

Kia block heaters are not thermostatically controlled, so if it's plugged in, it's on.

#5 ·
KiaTech, i found it weird that the car did not come with one, due to being in north dakota where winter tempratures reach -30 on a average basis. It is only 99 bucks to have installed at the dealer, cheaper than any other place i know of.

#10 ·
Gotta say, I'm not nuts about the OEM block heater I got installed. Insulation is a little on the cheap side and freezes stiff at about -20C or so.

The biggest problem with that is that because the cord becomes so inflexible, the plug snaps off pretty easy. Mine is still attached, but the wires are now so frayed that it can't be used. I need to go to Canadian Tire and buy a new (bigger, heavier) plug :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.