Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was trying to look for a thread on blow off valves for my 21 Forte GT. Couldn’t find anything for it. So I was wondering if anyone has a CAI and aftermarket bov on their GT and if you do is it louder than with just the CAI? Also I want more turbo spool noise. I have yet to find a set of headers for this car but I’m very interested in a set.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,901 Posts
Have you perused Olszewski's thread on parts for the 2019-2021 Forte?

2019-2021 Forte GT and Forte Mods and Performance Upgrades. | Kia Forte Forum (forteforums.com)

Post # 2 has a listing of companies and some of them carry BOVs.

If you have an automatic tranny you will not hear the blow off valve like you will in a manual equipped car. If you want to hear the BOV you should get a BOV that amplifies the sound.

...and just to be clear...Kia calls it a RCV (ReCirculation Valve), not a BOV.

HKS, SXTH, Boomba...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 6MT! I was checking out the GFB bov since it has the recirculating and atmospheric bov option. I didn’t realize that the RCVs are for optimal performance. I just watched a video on the effects of turbo flutter. And they used the GFB bov as their example which I thought was cool since our car has an rcv already. Has anyone with our car installed the GFB bov? I thought I saw someone talking about it in a thread.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,901 Posts
I have the 6MT! I was checking out the GFB bov since it has the recirculating and atmospheric bov option. I didn’t realize that the RCVs are for optimal performance. I just watched a video on the effects of turbo flutter. And they used the GFB bov as their example which I thought was cool since our car has an rcv already. Has anyone with our car installed the GFB bov? I thought I saw someone talking about it in a thread.
that's one of those subjects people are for or against...LOL...like what oil to use or what octane gas to use.

I installed the SXTH element intercooler kit and had to modify their cold pipe so that I could keep the RCV hooked up to the intake...like factory.

I don't remember any threads with the GFB BOV...OOPS did a search - Wifeismad looks to have the GFB BOV see post #10 in his thread:

Wifeismad's 2020 Forte GT Manual Build | Kia Forte Forum (forteforums.com)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anybody with the DCT install a BOV, My kid wants to add one to his car, but if its a waste in the DCT? Then I'll tell him to spend his money else ware.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anybody with the DCT install a BOV, My kid wants to add one to his car, but if its a waste in the DCT? Then I'll tell him to spend his money else ware.
I have not yet, but you will still hear it anytime you let boost build up then release the throttle.
You just don’t lose boost between shifts with the DCT like you do a manual.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
IMO...$200+ to hear "SHHH" occasionally...go with a Takeda intake instead.

Reactions: BlueStang

·
Registered
3,901 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good choice - I had my RCV (BOV) valve uncapped temporarily and RARELY heard it release. Not a fan of throttling it in neutral just to hear the "SHHH"!

If noise is what he wants go with the Evilla Motorsports axle back exhaust and he'll get a bigger "kick" out of his DSG "farts"...LOL!

Listen after 1:50 / 2:02 near the end of the video:

2020 Kia Forte GT • Evilla Motorsports Sport Series Axleback Exhaust - YouTube
That’s a video just letting boost build a little then releasing the throttle, I hear it every time. So I’m not sure why you would have rarely heard it.
I’ve said before tho, I noticed it makes a big difference where the hose is placed, I played with it in a few different locations and some places it was barely noticeable, same with the hose just removed completely you could hardly hear it.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
That’s a video just letting boost build a little then releasing the throttle, I hear it every time. So I’m not sure why you would have rarely heard it.
I’ve said before tho, I noticed it makes a big difference where the hose is placed, I played with it in a few different locations and some places it was barely noticeable, same with the hose just removed completely you could hardly hear it.
...and I stand by my first post - $200+ for a BOV just to hear that? I guess you could always go one better and get one that whistles, or with a trumpet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
...and I stand by my first post - $200+ for a BOV just to hear that? I guess you could always go one better and get one that whistles, or with a trumpet.
I have not yet, but you will still hear it anytime you let boost build up then release the throttle.
You just don’t lose boost between shifts with the DCT like you do a manual.
And I stand by my post, I have not spent but maybe $3 to hear that. I’ve not installed no BOV.
I was simply trying to figure out why you could hardly hear it.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
And I stand by my post, I have not spent but maybe $3 to hear that. I’ve not installed no BOV.
I was simply trying to figure out why you could hardly hear it.
Like you said - position. The hose was off the RCV.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Like you said - position. The hose was off the RCV.
Ok then now I understand. It was barely noticeable with the hose completely removed.
And was also trying to save these guys $200+ When I knew the chair end cap hack does in fact make a difference even with a DCT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts