Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I thought I had enough time to paint the wheel inserts in a few hours.. I started at 9:00.. its now 10:15.. Heres my progress..

1) I read the manual, opened the trunk, lifted the cover, took out the box

2) Read the Manual, jacked up the car, started to twist the lug nuts, till I couldn't find the wheel lock (unlocker). Figured it would be in the dash, checked there, couldn't find it, then finally after 20 minutes found it, and took off the wheel lock one.

3) Moved the wheel front and back, till it gave away and removed the wheel

4) Prop-ed it up against a wall, took a + screwdriver and removed the screws.

5) Removed all the wheel covers off the first wheel, then went and got a towel, went to a sink, cleaned off all the dirt by hand, Towel dried all the covers.

6) Take a 400 Grit 3M Sandpaper, and scuff all the silver areas, till you get some offwhite color, it doesn't have to be perfect, but just make sure you cover all the little curves and everything to get a cleaner look in the end. You can also wetsand with a 600 Grit, but I found that 400 Grit Dry and Wet Sand, works best.

7) Masked off any areas if you want a lip or another tone of color in your insert. If you want to have 1 flat color, don't mask anything. As suggested by heralterego, use 3M Fineline tape when masking off your areas, because they have a tendency of not dripping or seeping through any paint.

8) Found a nice solid board , and arranged the wheel inserts in order, laying them down on the board.

9) Bought my Duplicolor HP Wheel Coating from Canadian tire ~ $10.00 (Flat black because they didn't have gloss black - my good luck).

10) Shook the can for 2 minutes.

10) Applied light coat, 20 cm away from the wheel inserts, missed some areas, on the inside, had to re-do them. (Fun!)

11) Waited approximately 15 minutes for it to dry, because somehow they didn't dry in 5 minutes like the manufacturer said they would. (touched one, made a smudge - my good luck)

12) Applied another light coat, this time closer to the wheel insert about 15 cm away, and got all of it in 5 swipes! :D (WIN!)

13) Waiting again to dry, then will apply clear coat. (Approxmiate wait time: 30 mins - double wait time because 2 coats, if you run a heavy coat by "accident" that would take longer to dry)

14) Applied Duplicolor HP Wheel Coating Clear Coat 30. ~$10.00 (Shiny!)

15) Wait time 45 minutes or till dry enough to touch.

------------You are finished if you just did 1 color, please proceed to Step 18.------------------
------------If you have masked off any areas, proceed with step 16 and the note.--------------

***NOTE***
Please be careful when you remove the tape, if you see that part of the paint is coming off with it too, you have not waited long enough for it to dry. IMMEDIATELY STOP!. Wait for it to dry longer, then go back and try to remove it.

If you have removed the paint, then you have 2 options. 1) Get a cotton bud, spray some paint onto it, and re-touch up the areas. OR 2) Use a folder or a solid piece of paper which wont bend, then spray over the areas, OR 3)Get some acetone (becareful with this stuff), and scrub off the paint, re-sand your area, and apply the paint again.

16) Take off the masked areas, and inspect for chips.

17) Remask the areas you painted, then repeat steps 8 - 15 with Duplicolor HP Wheel Coating Red.

18) Leave to dry for atleast an hour.

19) Re-screw the inserts back into the wheel

20) Re-attach the lugnuts and wheel lock.

21) Stand back and admire.

-----------------------------------------------

Special thanks to Heralterego and her husband for the painting tips.
For other Tips please see page 3.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Kool !

But have u sanded the part to paint ? If u don't , the paint won't stay.
Sand the area with wet 600 grits for better adherence, and then spray your paint.

BTW, post some pics, i love to see others realizations !

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kool !

But have u sanded the part to paint ? If u don't , the paint won't stay.
Sand the area with wet 600 grits for better adherence, and then spray your paint.

BTW, post some pics, i love to see others realizations !
Don't need to sand, the paint has a primer with it, I read the directions at the back, I only sand when I know that the paint doesnt have a primer or requires a sand.

I sanded my rear emblem with 400 grit, because it needed a pre-prep before application. Then applied the coats. :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have to post the pic's of the completed wheels i think they will look great!!!
Lol I scrapped the idea of the red lip because of these reasons:

1) Paint was seeping through the tape.. dunno how, maybe i heavy coated it..
2) I ran outta patience trying to fix it and I wanted to get clean straight lines.
3) It took more time than I initially expected, and I had to do a few errands lol.
4) As I pulled back the tape, in some areas paint was peeling off, because the seeped through paint caused the paint not to dry properly in some areas.

So I sanded it down, and just coated it black 2 times, then clear again

and this was the result.

I even sanded the kia logos, and coated them too :)

They look good :D. It looks like I took the inserts off, but really no holes, and its clean!

My car's turning into a blackout theme..

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nice looks great with a black car, i want to do this to mine but i do not think it will look good with a orange car!!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice looks great with a black car, i want to do this to mine but i do not think it will look good with a orange car!!!!
It'll look good if you have tinted your windows. :)

Just a frontish on picture, note the rear wheels are not done yet, they take some drying time lol..

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why don't u take red stripes for your lip ? then clearcoat everything. the stripe will be caught in the clearcoat

No messy paint with tape !
;)

BTW... this looks nice ! Good job
You mean like pin stripe? Im thinking of it, But Id like to get something more thicker. Maybe Ill get my wheels professionally done. Lets see, but till winter, Ill run this setup.

2,213 Posts
looks good, could have saved yourself alot of aggrevation and just kept them off tho. lol from the pic it looks the same! but the car looks awesome! did you think about tinting out the mirror turnsignals? i think that would look prety sick! now i'm wishing i got the black sx lol

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
looks good, could have saved yourself alot of aggrevation and just kept them off tho. lol from the pic it looks the same! but the car looks awesome! did you think about tinting out the mirror turnsignals? i think that would look prety sick! now i'm wishing i got the black sx lol
As a matter of fact I did tint them out, both my rear turn signals and the side mirror signals are tinted gunmetal. Its subtle, but in person very noticeable compare to stock. Trust me its so hard keeping this baby clean lol.. Black is a hard color to maintain..

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My car's turning into a blackout theme..

thats what i am leaning toward---
i am going to super flat black the insterts however-

i still am on the fence about that yellow pinstriping i was talking about....
but def going for the flat black inserts, and light tint on the front/rear lights and mirror turn signals.....

kinda funny- until you laid everything out-- it really never jumped out how many of those damn inserts there are......ahahahahahah

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.