Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else on here had their engine blow due to the defects the 2.0 and 2.4 engines have? If so, has anyone had any sort of good outcome with Kia actually taking ownership of their defective engine and replaced it? Mine spontaneously blew back on Fed 21st, on my way to work. I personally change all fluids on it since I've been a mechanic half my life. The car isn't abused, just gets a lot of miles. Oil change happens once a month due to mileage. Kia told me to go [email protected]*k myself and that it's not their problem. My extended powertrain warranty, doesn't actually cover my powertrain. So I'm stuck paying for a broken car that was clearly defective, and isn't getting fixed by Kia. So I'm wasting money to put a different engine in it that'll actually last. Anyone have input?

Registered
You're not going to want to hear my input and likely won't believe it, but you asked for it so here it is.

Kia/Hyundai has had well-known and major issues with their Theta GDI/turbo engines, and have issued multiple recalls and programs related to those engines. However the engine in your (and my) Forte is a Theta MPI, and does not share that sorry history. Yes, there have been some people (mainly a Canadian Facebook group) showing up on this forum who will tell you that every Forte engine ever built is defective, but I believe that group is totally out to lunch. JMO on that, and you can join up to rant with them if that makes your day.

Now here's a question for you. Your Forte was purchased not too long ago second hand. Are you SURE that the engine was reasonably well maintained by the previous owner(s)? As a mechanic you would know that being sure would require something like removing the valve cover or dropping the oil pan, in order to check for sludge. If you did that and found nothing bad, then feel free to hammer Kia for their defective engine. But if you have not done that, then the jury would still be out on exactly where the blame for your engine failure resides.

AFA dropping a non-Kia/Hyundai engine into your Forte, I wish you the very best of luck (and you're going to need it). I've never read even one account of a non-Kia/Hyundai engine successfully being installed in any of their vehicles. Not saying it hasn't or can't be done, only that there's basically no information available about someone actually doing it successfully. And to make matters worse, I have read more than one account of people struggling to get a Kia/Hyundai replacement engine to work, where there was just a minor configuration difference, such as dual/single CVVT, and I've never seen a report of one those swaps turning out well.

But if you're hell bent to be on the cutting edge and try to get this done, here's a link to where you can get an online copy of KGIS, which is supposed to be the Kia FSM.

IMO the Kia first gen manuals are bottom feeders, and are lacking in many respects. However, the good news for you is that it does have a very good pinout and set of circuit diagrams for the ECM, which is what you were asking for in another thread. Although I'm not positive, I believe that this 2011-12 manual covers the 2013 Theta based Fortes as well. Should be fairly easy for you to confirm that.

If you do get a non-Kia/Hyundai engine running successfully in your Forte, post it here and I'll definitely reply back with a bunch of these 馃弳

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I am aware of all the recall crap that these cars were excluded from just because of the MPI fuel setup. I've been doing a lot of research into these cars since my wife's Optima had a new engine put in last year. I did checked check a lot of things when i first bought the car. It all checked out. That being said, there's NO way to tell how well the car was taken care of prior to me, it's sad most people don't take care of the things they own. I am getting the car towed back to my house at the end of the month and tearing the engine apart myself. We shall see then what really happened. As for other engines, there is a video on youtube of a Mitsubishi 4G63 swapped 1G Koup. That's not the engine I'll be installing, but I know it'll be worth the work. It should bolt up to my transmission though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Really? "Good job, thanks" on four fucking posts? Why? What's the point of this stupid comment so many damn times that does absolutely nothing except a comment like this????

Registered
Bumping this up because of the spam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts