Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 kia forte 5 hatch 2.0 gdi
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so bought a used Kia Forte 5 the 2.0 GDI engine
the day after I bought it leaving the property that we're moving to is about 4 1/2 miles of a 6% grade downhill the car was fully warmed up when I left the property and instead of using my brakes I downshift it manually into third gear and just let the engine slow me going all the way down the hill by the time I got to the bottom I noticed my temperature gauge was all the way in the cold
I thought that was kind of strange and then when I accelerated at the bottom of the hill I got back on the main road there was a pretty good cloud of what appeared to be blue smoke?
Is there something to do with these GDI in cold temperatures and using the transmission and the engine instead of your brakes to slow down hill did it cool the engine off too much which caused it to consume oil and then when I accelerate it burned it?
I'm kind of new to Kia I've been wrenching for quite a while on domestic brand just thought it was a little weird and it's never done it since?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If the car was fully warmed up and the temperature gauge was on cold, then I would suspect a thermostat issue or temperature sensor failure. The smoke could be the car running too rich, because it thinks it's cold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car was fully warmed up and the guage was showing it was warm untill i got to the bottom of the hill.
But running rich would make sense if by the time i got downhill the car had cooled off.
I will keepan eye on it
Thanks

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The temperature gauge won't move once it's warmed up, no matter if you are coasting, going uphill on downhill. I would check to see if you have any codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the car into the dealer for a new key and had them scan it they found no codes and there are no check engine lights.
Have put 900 miles on it since then with no issue's
Will keep an eye on it
Thanks for the responses

1 - 5 of 5 Posts