Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Here's my story:

Two night ago my wife and I went to look at a 2011 Kia forte koup with 99k miles on it. We did a test drive of the car and it ran great! Didn't hear any noises or notice any issues. So we decide we want it. I got a cashiers check the next day made out for $4200. When we met the guy we transferred the title first before we even started the car because we were just ready to go. I put the key in the car and I notice a ticking noise under the hood. I was like, oh it's just cold out it's probably fine and we we are off on our merry way but ticking continued all the way home. After 5 minutes of research this is a common thing with that 2.0 model engine. Others online are saying I will need to replace the engine entirely which could cost about 5k or 6k which is more than the worth of the vehicle. Yesterday I brought the vehicle to a Midas repair shop. The guy did a really quick 15 minute inspection to see if it really is a engine issue. He comes back and says that the issue is most likely the timing chain and once that is replaced it will solve the problem. He quoted me at about $1000. The thing I am afraid of is once he starts taking things a part who knows what else he might find that might cause issues. I am afraid that this is going to cost me way more than I want it to and become a money pit.

I guess I am at a loss for what to do. First off I know I didn't do my due diligence to get the car looked at before I bought it and that's totally on me. I have accepted that at this point. Do I just take my losses and resell the car to a used dealer for less or post it privately or do I invest in the car? I have called my local dealership to see if my car is affected by the engine recall that is available for other models but there are no recalls open for my car.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For reference on what the car sounds like it sounds just like this:

This is not my video.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The oil maintenance history would be nice to know, but you likely have nothing from the previous owner about that. How is the oil right now - level and color on the dipstick?

It probably has an aftermarket oil filter on right now, so the first thing to do is replace it with a Kia filter. And if the oil is not a light tan color, do an oil change as well - full synthetic 5W-20. Once that's done, see where the noise is, compared to right now.

The noise is not going to be fixed by replacing the timing chain - complete waste of $$. I'd strongly recommend finding another shop where they actually test and diagnose, because the guy you took it to is just a part hanger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually do have the complete history of the maintenance records since the car was bought in 2011. I was actually very surprised he gave me all of that information yet failed to tell me about the noise. Looks like the previous owner did a great job with keeping up with oil changes every 3-4k miles. The last time he got an oil change was on 10/10/19. When I get home from work I will look closer at what the previous owner was putting in his vehicle if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the records, it looks like the previous owner was going to Valvoline to get his oil changed. They put 5W20 Conventional Oil API SN, and a Valvoline Oil Filter VO106. The last time he got his oil changed, on 10/10/19, they also put 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in. The previous owner was bringing the vehicle in every 5,000 miles. I guess the big question from me, is will this still be safe to drive for longer periods of time? I will check the oil sometime today.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
..... they also put 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in. ...
Kia specifies that no oil additives should ever be used In their engines, so you want to get that stuff out of there ASAP. At your earliest opportunity, buy a Kia filter (part #26300-35505) and a 5 quart jug of a name brand full synthetic 5-20 oil. If you don't DIY, then take it to a full service shop for the oil change - not an Iffy Lube where they often have kids working who pay a lot more attention to their phone messages than they do to your vehicle.

Now AFA the noise, be advised that engine noise comes in all shapes and sizes - some benign and others indicators of serious issues. There are lots of Kia/Hyundai owners running around with their hair on fire because of engine noise, but it's totally unclear how many of those vehicles have (or will have) serious engine issues at low to medium mileage. Case in point is a member on this forum who has 380,000+ miles on his 2010 Forte. He has posted that his vehicle has made top end noise since he purchased it second hand with fairly low mileage. So whatever that noise is coming from his vehicle, it has been proven to be harmless.

What I suggest is to do the oil change, and then see how the noise is compared to the way it sounds now. If it doesn't change significantly, and you still feel at that point that the noise is excessive, then make a video of your vehicle and post it here. And IMO you should feel free to drive your Forte as much as you want to after you get the oil change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kia specifies that no oil additives should ever be used In their engines, so you want to get that stuff out of there ASAP.
What will this do if it remains in the engine? I will obviously do what you suggested but I am just curious. Also, did you end up watching the video I added to this thread because that is exactly the noise that my engine is making. Just curious!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I’m not an auto engineer, and can’t give you a factual answer. My guess would be that additives are thicker than regular oil, which would have an impact on flow/pressure. The idea is to comply with the automaker’s specs, and see what that the result of that is, given that this is one of the very few easy, inexpensive things that an owner can do on their own.

I did listen to the vid that you posted, and it sounds similar to many others. I would be much more interested in hearing what your engine sounds like after the oil change, assuming that significant noise is still there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of your help! I wonder if it also has to do with the rate of how fast the vehicle warms up? It might take longer because the additives are thicker, thus take longer to warm up. I will try this out and if there is no change in the result I will post back to this post possibly with a video of the noise. If it gets better I will probably post a "before" oil change and "after" oil change result.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Kia Forte Ex 127000 miles....have had the ticking noise since probably about 65000 miles....it settles down after it warms up....I change oil between 3800 and 5000 with standard Pennzoil 5W-20 and non Kia filters....it's been kicking the P0106 Map sensor code.... very common in these cars ...I can only say one thing....clean the throttle body especially if they are getting up in miles...CLEAN THE THROTTLE BODY! Do not replace the map sensor....these cars are very sensitive to air fuel ratio...good luck guys...mines been good to me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts