Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3hr drive to Houston, 6hrs total. Posted on FB & was just looking at cars/parts. The guy had a Kia Forte Koup that he no longer had. He said they came with the car. Had them in storage. Bought them both for $100.00 today. I asked if they work. He didn't know if they do. They're in need of work, cleaning & fixing up. The seal/sealant needs to be redone, clear lens housing needs to be pulled of. Both need to be opened & fixed.

Hope they do work. I dont know where each wire goes to.

View attachment 80745
View attachment 80746

·
Super Moderator
299 Posts
First thought is: NICE!!! I've always loved the look of those lights and would love a pair myself.

Second thought is: did you drive 6h for headlights that may or may not work cuz they're not available anywhere online, or was it cuz of price? Cuz I think I recall people saying they could be had for $250-300 online, but I also kind of recall reading every place is out of stock.

Good luck with the restoration. Keep us updated on the progress (especially IF they work!).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The angle lights work perfectly. The halos don't. They must be burned out. I used my Radio shack multi volts wall adapter. Set it to 12volts & bench tested. The halos turned on but had wires (red & black & a round wire?) Handing out the bottom. It turned on as red halos. I though cool red halos but I thought they were white?

The halos never turned on so I reluctantly opened them.up with a hair dryer. It was a hassel getting them open. Either the seller or previous owner did a hack job on repairing, rewiring & stand alone wires (at the bottom of headlights) for the angel eyes (pink & white) & halos (red & black with a black wire as a ground?) Coming from the bottom.

Found the dead/non working white halos were modded with a red led held on with its adhesive backing onto the the ring itself.

Can these be repaired or replaced? I was trying to search for oven temp & time to bake/heat up headlights assemblies to aid in removing & opening them.up.

Damn on the line interwebs sporadic service. Having trouble still after hrs of interrupted service.

Got them both apart. Will post pics when internet is working.

Yeah, wife & I drove 3hrs to & 3hrs back, 6hrs total. No side tracking & sight seeing either. Yes I could've waited for new ones but they're either $300+ & out of stock. Ebay, Amazon.

Wasn't a complete waste. Got to spend more time with my wife.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Would the Halos & angel eyes be wired to the on (high beams off) setting or how would they be used?

Halos & Angel's on (low beams)?
Halos on (low beams)?
Halos off (during high beams)?
Halos on during (high beams)?
Angel off (during low beams)?
Halos & angels on (amber on/headlights off)?

I was gonna wire the Halos & angels to operate with low beams on. Since I have no idea how they're supposed to be wired & used.

I'm might want to sell them cause I don't want to ruin them or wire them up & end up effing them up. If I feel I might ruin them. They're better off to someone that knows way more than I.

They're in nice physical conditions. No cracks, hits scratches, missing pieces. Only the halos don't turn on.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Q: do the halos require a ballast to use them? I bench tested using my Radio shack muti voltage AC wall adapter set 12Volts? Also has anyone bought replacement halos that don't cost over $35 to 40.00+?

Also I measured one of them. I'm reading 3inches & 3/8. Outer diameter.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replacing loose & missing screws with matching new ones. Attempted unfinished half assed mod with different screws & wires pulled tight/no slack & just full of dust dirt shreds of papers & incect carcasses.

Collage

1 - 14 of 14 Posts