Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to replace the rotor and pad on all four wheels after 110,000 miles on my 17 Forte LX. Why? Because I'm starting to hear a slight scrubbing sound when I stop. I bought some slotted/vented discs and pads from rockauto and am just waiting for a good sunny day to do the job. If any of you have any tips you'd like to share, let me know. I've been working on cars for almost 50 years and ain't afraid to get my hands dirty. I don't know if the calipers are press in or screw in type (like Subaru) but will find out. Also, if there's any tricks to the retaining clips or anything else you know of, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
474 Posts
The most difficult part will probably be getting the old rotors off, they can be stuck on there pretty good.

Just make sure to clean everything good, lube the guide pins, and make sure the retainer clips are well seated and straight.

Usually front calipers are press in and rear are screw in, but I really have no idea on the '17. Either way, both types are relatively easy to push back in.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The most difficult part will probably be getting the old rotors off, they can be stuck on there pretty good.
yes indeed. Needs an impact driver for the screws, which hold the rotor in place. You may need to drill them out even so. A few hits with a hammer will get the rotors loose. I did that and used a crowbar, too.Here's a picture of the impact driver.

Just make sure to clean everything good, lube the guide pins, and make sure the retainer clips are well seated and straight.
Totally. I'd recommend pulling the guide pins out and in case of rust, replace the guide pins and the bushings.
Usually front calipers are press in and rear are screw in, but I really have no idea on the '17. Either way, both types are relatively easy to push back in.
That's exactly how the second generation Forte's brakes are, front push in, rear brakes screw-in. You'll need a tool for that. I bought a simple attachment here's a picture:

Good success with that

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both, Gentlemen. I have an impact screwdriver from back in the days of riding and working on motorcycles. I used to have that brake too, also, but when I sold my last Subaru, I gave it to the guy that bought it. He didn't have a clue what is was until I explained it to him. I may go fetch one tomorrow when I go for my first Covid vaccination shot.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
That tool is only needed for rear calipers that have screw in pistons. It’s very easy to tell as press in piston calipers have cups while screw in pistons are solid. Also, rear calipers that are the also the parking brake are the ones with screw in pistons. Rear calipers where the parking brake is a small drum brake in the hat of the rotor have press in pistons.
I don’t know about 2nd and 3rd generation Fortes but 1st Gen Forte have the drum type parking brake in the hat of the rotor and the rear calipers are press in.

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Rent a tool set from Autozone or other place. Or get one from Amazon, about 15-25 USD.

The 17 did not have (Electronic Parking Brake) EPB, did it? If it does, then you are up the creek.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PLP, thanks. My 17 doesn't have an electronic parking brake. It's the standard console handle with a cable.

·
Registered
470 Posts
That tool is only needed for rear calipers that have screw in pistons. It’s very easy to tell as press in piston calipers have cups while screw in pistons are solid. Also, rear calipers that are the also the parking brake are the ones with screw in pistons. Rear calipers where the parking brake is a small drum brake in the hat of the rotor have press in pistons.
I don’t know about 2nd and 3rd generation Fortes but 1st Gen Forte have the brim type parking brake in the hat of the rotor and the rear calipers are press in.
I happen to have two 2nd generation Fortes and worked on the brakes. I can guarantee you, the rear calipers are screw in, the handbrake is working on the caliper.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I happen to have two 2nd generation Fortes and worked on the brakes. I can guarantee you, the rear calipers are screw in, the handbrake is working on the caliper.
I have two 1st generation Fortes and worked on the brakes. I can guarantee you, the rear calipers are press in, the handbrake is working on the drum in the rotor hat.

I didn’t say the 2nd or 3rd had that style. What I said was:
I don’t know about 2nd and 3rd generation Fortes but ...
Thank you for clarifying about the 2nd gens. Now we just need to know the 3rd.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have two 1st generation Fortes and worked on the brakes. I can guarantee you, the rear calipers are press in, the handbrake is working on the drum in the rotor hat.

I didn’t say the 2nd or 3rd had that style. What I said was:

Thank you for clarifying about the 2nd gens. Now we just need to know the 3rd.
Yep, I know, the 1st gen has the little drums and push back the piston in the caliper. As for 3rd generation, same as 2nd. Caliper assy is only ever so slightly different from that one of the 2nd generation.Most probably just the bracket.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Depending on the weather, I may start on it tomorrow. Between the rain and the tornadoes and doctor appointments, this week has not been that great! I'll let you guys know what I find out about the rear calipers. I think I'll start with the rear brakes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not only did the weather not cooperate, but I seem to be having a few reactions to my first Covid vaccination. I'm dizzy, nauseated and running a fever. All are side effects. I sure hope they go away soon. We're supposed to have rain for the next 5 days, so the brake job has hit the brakes, so to speak. It's not at a critical point by any means and my brakes are still in good shape. I just think it's about time to take some preventative maintenance measures. I'll do a fluid flush at the same time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the brake job is complete! I spent about 3 hours doing all 4 wheels. Living in the South really has it's advantages. No rust made the disassembly very easy. I actually could have probably gotten another 50,000 miles out of the rear pads and rotors but I had the new ones and figured I'd just go ahead and put them on. And the rear calipers have the screw in pistons, so I'm glad I bought that tool. I won't give it away like the last one. Most time consuming thing for me was cleaning all the brake dust off the front calipers due to the crappy Autozone pads I had put on about 10,000 miles ago. They still had plenty of meat left on them too but they made so much dust that my wheel covers were turning black! I spent about 30 minutes seating in the new ceramic pads and like the way they feel and sound. As there IS no sound when braking now. All in all, an easy job and I'm good for another 100,000 miles I HOPE! Anyway, thanks for all of your suggestions and input. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
774 Posts
I need to or would like to rebuild my OEM/factory 2010 Forte Koup sx front & rear calipers. Miles are at 91,060 & I DON'T want to buy refurbished/remanufactured Autozone, O'Reilly's, Napa, Pepboys & from similar due to the rust that immediately begins to appear after installing.

Wife bought a heavily abused used treated like sh*t & at the last minute & too late to do take backs the 07 Scion TC 2.4L auto is a salvaged/rebuilt title car.

She paid $1,000 cash cause his gf/wife wanted it gone & it was a money pit. Sat on their yard for 3 months. The guy bought it from another guy.

Anyways, we bought all needed parts from Autozone. I completely cleaned de oiled all 4 beakers calipers, high heat etching primer & dark grey paint. After a week rust is forming.

I'm so elated that my 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2 has been really good & awesome to me. Ni major problem, no oil burning, no throttle prob6when battery is removed, no fluctuations/surging rpms, no cheap brittle ignition coil pigtails, a weak & lame that doesn't lock (even the new fuel gas cap from Autozone) & drinks gas like a V8.

My question is is there a good reputable seller/merchant online that I can buy & install new caliper parts/rebuild kit for my Koups calipers?

Autozone & the others mentioned about have always developed rust after a few days. I've never had any of their parts last without rust showing up.

Anthony

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
My question is is there a good reputable seller/merchant online that I can buy & install new caliper parts/rebuild kit for my Koups calipers?

Anthony
Factory parts are the best...IMO.

I have been buying my Kia parts and accessories from an ebay seller - Premier Kia out of Connecticut (I have no connection to them other than they quote me the best prices, even with shipping included). Premier Kia Dealer Branford CT | New 2021 | 2022 Kia Used Cars (premierkiact.com)

You can shop "kia parts online" - many of them are Kia dealers.
Like this one:
Shop Genuine Kia Parts and Accessories | My Kia Parts
You'll find that most of them use the same web format.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
774 Posts
Factory parts are the best...IMO.

I have been buying my Kia parts and accessories from an ebay seller - Premier Kia out of Connecticut (I have no connection to them other than they quote me the best prices, even with shipping included). Premier Kia Dealer Branford CT | New 2021 | 2022 Kia Used Cars (premierkiact.com)

You can shop "kia parts online" - many of them are Kia dealers.
Like this one:
Shop Genuine Kia Parts and Accessories | My Kia Parts
You'll find that most of them use the same web format.
Thank you

1 - 20 of 23 Posts