Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brake Light Mod -Sedan

New to the site but not the Forte...

This Mod is the same for the sedan and koup.

If you haven't noticed, the brake lights are the outer tail lights (and third center light). The inner two tail lights are just on when you turn the lights on. A fairly easy mod is to make the two inner tail lights function as brake lights too. This helps to insure the people behind you get full warning you are slowing down...:)

The inner light bulbs are already 1157 bulbs -- each has 2 filaments (same as the outer tail light bulbs) and the bulb's socket is made for a 2-filament bulb. You just need to insert a contact in each socket and run an 18 gauge wire from the left brake light wiring, follow the existing wire loom to the trunk lid, and then to each inner tail light socket. So far I have had to modify the contacts by grinding them down to fit the small hole of the socket. Aftermarket contacts and wrecking yard finds are too big and need to be ground smaller. The correct contacts themselves are not available over the counter -- you can buy a new outer tail light socket and remove the 2 contacts.

I have accomplished this mod on my SX sedan and Koup SX and have had no problems.

Picture links posted below.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Try this shot of all four tail lights working as brake lights:

Kia Forte Forum : Sedan and Forte Koup Forums - ForteSX2.4's Album: ForteSX2.4's Album - Picture

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/m...-forte-tail-lights-just-four-tail-lights.html

My feable attempt at drawing this mod out:

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/m...hopefully-drawing-my-paint-attempt-clear.html

The left outer tail light wires can be accessed through the current opening, if you need more space remove a couple of the retainers holding the trunk lining. The black inner trunk lid cover is held on by black plastic retainers -- screw the centers out with a phillips screwdriver. Once ALL the retainers are out be careful...it will practically fall off...

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody else do this mod to their sedan...how did it go?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I cant get the pics to work or load whatever, Anybody have better pics this would be awesome the brighter the safer

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant get the pics to work or load whatever, Anybody have better pics this would be awesome the brighter the safer
Little late for an answer...the pictures are in my album. Go to my profile and click on my album.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Finally did this brake mod. Easy to do. Went to junk yard & found the exact same brake light sockets. Just had to solder new 16 gauge red wire. Slide in terminal. Tuck all wires neat & clean. Very cool mod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts