Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 door ex with the 15" steel rims, etc. Currently have 7k miles on the car so my brakes are more than worn in. Yesterday I was descending a hill that is pretty long, maybe 7 miles down. By the bottom I could smell the brakes really bad, and I wasnt riding them on the way down, but I did have to make about 3 fairly quick stops at 3 red lights. I pulled over at the bottom and you could smell the brakes and the rim was extremely hot. Has anyone else experienced any cooling issues with the brakes? or possibly a brake upgrade. BTW, I drive this hill often in my other car, 96 Toyota corolla, and have never had a problem....

·
Registered
746 Posts
both AT or MT? Just you in car(s)? What speed were you traveling at?
EX & LX have 11" ventilated front & 10.3 solid rears.
Their hydraulic, power assisted vacuum, 4 sensors, ABS w/ESC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was traveling at about 55-60 mph down hill. I made about 3 stops from that speed. I have an automatic transmission in both cars. Im wondering if the steel wheels on the forte trap the heat in more than say aluminum wheels?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was not using the tec-tronic to slow the car, just brakes at the red lights, I was coasting down the grade though, not riding the brakes.

·
Registered
746 Posts
no not manual mode. on AT car you can shift on the fly, that is downshift safely to 2nd if Youre below 50k or 50mph.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I'm confused... 50 K and 50MPH are two very different speeds! I'd use 3rd for 50MPH (80kph) before I went to 2nd!

Am i missing something in your posts..?:confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with the above; the stock brake pads just aren't up to a long descent like that. Use engine braking (there's no formula for engine braking. Downshift until you don't have to use the brakes anymore to maintain a constant speed). Or, get new brake pads. Hawk HPS are very good high-performance street pads that will not fade, but also do not squeal like more aggressive compounds will. They do create a lot of brake dust though.

·
Registered
746 Posts
my typo D:) automatics hate shifting & sure, brakes are cheaper to fix than transmission. but, engine braking or downshifting can still help to keep brakes from overheating while going downhill like in OP. perhaps, he was hitting brakes hard and or driving way too fast on the descent. downshifting under 50 is still said to help.

as for hawk pads, why dont you buy 'em & do a DIY for the forum with pics and a review.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts