Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Forte EX with 16.5k miles. Just noticed over the last few weeks the brakes will squeal slightly the first couple of times I apply the brakes in the morning on my way to work. The squealing goes away after 3 or 4 stops.

After work, the brakes do not squeal at all. It has only been in the morning. I wouldn't think the colder winter air would cause the increased squealing; other vehicles I've owned didn't have any brake issues solely due to a drop in temperatures.

Could this be a sign of the brake pads needing replacement? I've only had brakes squeal when they are nearing EOL and parts need to be replaced. At the last oil change (15k miles), the typical inspection was performed, and the brake pads were deemed 'good'. I would hope the brakes still have many more miles on them before replacement is necessary.

I was going to wait till next oil change (20k miles) to have it inspected. Should I do this any sooner?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,847 Posts
So far I've only driven my car in temps as low as 29 F...no unusual brake noise. What temps are you in?
The fact that it doesn't make noise later indicates there is nothing wrong -- it won't "fix" itself, then go bad, then "fix" itself again. Just take a look at your rotors (through the wheels) and see if there are any unusual marks/streeks/scratches/ruts. If they look smooth and undamaged you can consider the brakes okay to drive until you can get them checked. The squealing could be from glazing -- but the fact that you don't have the problem later in the day throws that assumption off. Let the dealer know so they can look at the brakes -- and try to ascertain which wheel is causing the noise -- or wheels -- to help them locate any problems.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Try pumping the brakes a few times before taking off in the morning. Mine always seem a little "dry" after sitting overnight.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far I've only driven my car in temps as low as 29 F...no unusual brake noise. What temps are you in?
This past week the low has been in the single digits.

I checked the rotors - all four appear smooth with no uneven wear marks. Guess I'll keep an eye on them and have the dealership take a look at the next service interval.

On a different note - how sensitive are the brake lights supposed to be? I'm used to barely tapping the brakes and the lights illuminating. It's probably something that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but on my Forte, the brake lights don't come on immediately after tapping the brakes. I can apply the brakes slightly, and no brake lights come on. Only if I push farther down and apply the brakes "harder", the brake lights will come on. Does that seem normal - or should it be more sensitive?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts