Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone seen any performance minded brakes and calipers for the koup? I want to upgrade but cant seem to find anything. I am looking at hawk and ebc but i dont know what to get.

·
Registered
695 Posts
WOW great find, I have been thinking about getting some new rotors and pads and this site looks pretty good. Prices are not looking to shabby either. Would like to hear some personal experiences from some other forte members. They have testimonials on there site but nothing on forte memebers.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
Just get the rotors from the other site for the back
they have cross drilled ones there for front and back

·
Registered
695 Posts
^^^
Thats my plan, I was thinking about getting a calipers upgrade but i think I will keep the stock ones and paint them with G2 paint and upgrade the pads and rotors.

Would like to get steel brake lines to complete the upgrade.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have only two concerns...
1) I wouln't upgrade rotors to cross-drilled or slotted. Your OEM blank rotors provide a higher thermal capacity then the cross-drilled and slotted. You'll actually LOSE a bit in braking because of this factor. (If it turns out that the aftermarket rotors have more mass then the OEM, then the aftermarket rotors would actually be an "upgrade")

2) Just upgrading the front calipers will create bias in the front brakes. This decreases in the efficiency of the brakes.

If your not into AutoX on any Time-Attack type stuff, you dont have to worry about what I just listed above. But if your trying to get the most out of your Forte, try to upgrade blank rotors from the Genesis (I need to double-check to see if they'll fit) and upgrade BOTH front and back calipers.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I don't know why so many are worried about the stock brakes on our car.

The SX has the same brakes off the Sportage, think about it our tiny car has brakes of a small SUV. The EX has just slightly smaller front brakes. The LX does have drums but most of those owners wouldn't stress the brakes too much.

I say SS lines will help greatly in peddle feel and would be plenty.

The genesis brakes will not fit our car(not without work). If I remember correctly when from the pics I've seen you'll need new caliper mounts and new wheels as the calipers are bigger and the mounts are not the same.

The brembos on the 3.8GT are another story.

·
Registered
746 Posts
If anyone is close to: 299 route 335, St-Lin-Laurentides, Quebec.

Denis from Atelier HP would probably help with stainless brake lines.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My personal concern is I have slightly larger wheels that have more rotational mass and had increased the distance to stop, want to get better stopping power, brake pads with help. I dont know how great the stock ones are.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't know why so many are worried about the stock brakes on our car.
Because you don't have "brakes" until you can lock-up all four wheels instantly :)

You can probably swap the steering knuckle from the Genesis. Calipers would bolt-up and would be mated with the Genesis's rotar. You might have to swap ball joints or LCA to make this work.
Again, I have to do more research to make sure you can.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
... meaning they will fit? hopefully? :)
Quite the opposite I've seen pics and it's a pretty night and day difference than out set up.

My personal concern is I have slightly larger wheels that have more rotational mass and had increased the distance to stop, want to get better stopping power, brake pads with help. I dont know how great the stock ones are.
If you have an SX and a slight upgrade to 18" you should be fine. If we're talking 20" "dubs" then that's another story but then again brakes are the least of your concerns (drive shafts and suspension)

If anyone is close to: 299 route 335, St-Lin-Laurentides, Quebec.

Denis from Atelier HP would probably help with stainless brake lines.
We are talking about SS braided flex lines right?

I came from driving a lot of GM cars. Barring the vette (and the taxi/cop vehicles) all their cars had crappy brakes. Heavy car and the brakes were just barely adequate youd have to change em once a year if you did heavy driving.

You can lock the wheels on the SX almost instantly (if you have the traction) I have on two occasions both were times when a truck and semi changed lanes with out signaling or checking their blind spots.

IMO dollar for dollar a good set of tires does way more for this car than any other suspension mod. You stop and turn better and smooths the ride out.

SS flex lines would improve peddle feel and increase that clamping pressure you all want.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The LX does have drums but most of those owners wouldn't stress the brakes too much.
sorry but no the hell they don't have drums, and i resent you saying that lx owners apparently don't like performance
sorry that I bought the lightest weight forte possible, meaning I won't have to do any weight reduction at all to still be able to run faster than any 2.0 koup or sedan. Bought the 2.0 because I felt it would have a better chance of being quicker when upgraded than the 2.4 when similarly upgraded.
Power to weight > just power, by a lot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts