Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 2010 Forte EX a few weeks ago. Prior to this vehicle I had a Focus with Sync. The BT/phone system worked very well.

I placed a few calls using the Forte's system and pretty much everyone told me it sounded terrible. This weekend I decided to pull down the mic assembly to see if I might be able to improve it. What I did not know is that apparently mic wires are very expensive as Kia only puts about 1/2 " of extra wire in there from the roof. When I separated the mic housing from the roof insert I pulled the mic wires right off the circuit board. Ouch!

So now I had to solder those super thin wires back onto the circuit board, upside down. All with about 1/4" of wire leading out of the mic. I got luck and eventually was able to do this. While the mic was still hanging out of the roof I called a friend that I had called before. He said that it sounded much better. I popped the mic back into the roof during the same call and he said he could still hear me but it was not as clear. Initially I was thinking about drilling out those small mic holes but the mic is held into the housing and I think removing it will pull it apart from something in the bottom. Perhaps this is only some foam like material... I don't know. I could still drill out those holes very carefully.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Anyone else experiencing the same problem with the mic?

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone modifying the mic but I've also had the same problem as you. People don't hear me too clearly while I'm driving especially at high speeds.

I don't make a lot of phone calls while I'm driving so it's not much of a problem but if you find a way to making it sound a little clearer let us know!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would assume since it worked better while hanging it may work better because it was facing the direction of your voice more than being flat on the roof. If there was foam in it i would leave it because it baffles out alot of ambiant noise ( road etc) without it the mic would hear everything :) (assuming the foam is there) keep us posted tho, mine sucks too

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I also get multiple complaints about how bad the BT is from my car. I only use it when I'm on a military base and have to be hands free. Otherwise it's useless.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That's weird because I have had the complete opposite experience. Everyone hears me very clearly and is always surprised I have them on the BT in the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's weird because I have had the complete opposite experience. Everyone hears me very clearly and is always surprised I have them on the BT in the car.
same for me, but it wasnt clear when i had my blackberry connectd to it but i have a new fone now and people can't even tell im on bt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts