Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I've been browsing this forum a lot and decided to finally register to post something :)

I'm planning to buy a Koup in NYC

I am a newbie to cars so forgive me if I ask any stupid questions

So first off, I will be getting an Automatic (i want to get manual, but i don't know how to drive it and don't want to risk damaging a new car)

im not so sure which one to get

EX with Tech Pkg or SX with Leather (no tech pkg)

my budget is like $17k USD

Any suggestions?

I love the wheels on SX, but not sure if its really worth it to get SX just for the wheels

for the EX, can i just change the rims or something? this is the part i don't know anything about cars lol

or i have to buy a whole new set of wheels, not sure what are the rims vs wheels..my understanding is rims are the "appearance"?

any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
first off, welcome to the forum!

if you would be buying the SX just for the wheels it is not worth it. i got an EX, i like the matte black accents in the bumper vs the gloss black.

with the money you save buying an EX vs SX you could get some nice wheels!

and rims and wheels are the same thing, just depends on what you wanna call them, i call them wheels cause i dont really like the word rims haha. and you can just change the wheels, an EX stock has 16" wheels so if you were to buy different rims you could reuse the stock tires unless you want different size tires. if you were to go up to say 17" rims you would have to buy new tires that would fit a 17" wheel. its pretty simple stuff when you think about it.

any more questions? id be glad to help you out!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I personally love a manual car, but I understand not knowing how to drive one can be intimidating. If you have an old car or can barrow someones to learn on then you can judge if it is something you want. Manuals are usally a little bit cheaper as well.

If you want the tech package then you will save a little by not getting the leather package added.

Wheel are rims and vise versa. Then there is the tire which goes on the wheel or rim. You can buy just the wheel and use the stock tires but you will limit yourself to your selection. Save money during the intial purchase then you can spend more on mods.

Good luck on your purchase, make sure to post pictures up when you pick up your ride.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies

wait so if i get the EX which is 16"

i can actually change it to 17" when replacing the wheels and tires?
or am i stuck with 16" since it is an EX?

i don't know anyone here with a manual car. considering NYC is full of traffic not many ppl want to drive a stick or at least my friends don't drive them lol

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
You can change the wheel size too 17,18 19 on your koup easy.. some guys are even claiming to run 20 inch wheels on the Forte sedans..

Do note that the bigger size the wheel the more bumpy the car will ride on rough roads

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^
You can change the wheel size too 17,18 19.. some guys are even running 20 inch wheels on the Forte sedans..

Do note that the bigger size the wheel the more bumpy the car will ride on rough roads
hmm thanks...didn't thought about the bumpy part lol

i read a thread earlier, someone mention if the dealer can customize the EX, tell them to put the SX's wheels on there

would they do that? can they? im sure that probably will cost a lot more

is changing the wheel hard or should i just bring it to a shop for that?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Who buys a car in NYC? heh

If you got an EX I'm sure you could find someone who swapped out the SX wheels for custom ones that you could buy.

I learned to drive manual while car shopping...on used lots ;) A salesman even gave me a lesson and I then purchased a new Mazda6 from him.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^
I don't know if your local dealer would put sx wheels on you ex before you buy it, Can't hurt to ask ;)

changing the wheels is not too hard, just need a jack, some jack stands a flat safe place to jack up you car, and the new wheels of course :)
Hope that helps you out

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who buys a car in NYC? heh

If you got an EX I'm sure you could find someone who swapped out the SX wheels for custom ones that you could buy.

I learned to drive manual while car shopping...on used lots ;) A salesman even gave me a lesson and I then purchased a new Mazda6 from him.
well i figured just buy the car in NY instead of going to another state, since i have to pay NY sales tax regardless lol

hmm drive manual on used lots...that's not a bad idea at all

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^
I don't know if your local dealer would put sx wheels on you ex before you buy it, Can't hurt to ask ;)

changing the wheels is not too hard, just need a jack, some jack stands a flat safe place to jack up you car, and the new wheels of course :)
Hope that helps you out
lol im sure i'll be able to youtube it if anything LOL

·
Registered
641 Posts
No harder than changing a flat tire...4 times, which there will be instructions in the manual for.

But if you're interested, definitely give manual a shot. It doesn't take long at all to get the basics down. And then you've got cheaper, faster, more efficient cars for life. :) Don't let that first day of frustrating stall outs be a barrier to years of benefit.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Used (barely) SX wheel goes from 600 to 900$ with tires around here!! It's up to you to judge if the dealer could offer it for less!!
As for EX vs SX I'd say SX. Bigger brake, bigger engine, sport tune supension. You can probabely look for cheaper 2010 SX instead of 2011!!! Unless you realy want tech pkg!??!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i think im leaning more towards the EX with tech pkg (yeah i want the tech pkg lol)

im not really concern on the fastness...got a speeding ticket once and done with that lol
if i get SX, i think im very tempted to just see how it feels to go fast lol

any good places/websites to buy wheels?

so if i get the EX, any 16" and 17" wheels will fit?

sorry about the questions on the wheels...just realilzed theres a sub forum for that lol

·
Registered
641 Posts
They need to have the same bolt pattern.

Tirerack is a good place to start. Lets you put in the car model and it will show you what will fit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts