Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Been a long time lurker on this site and am finally ready to buy my first car. I have no experience in buying a new car so do you guys have any tips for me before I go to the dealer?

Oh and I'm planning on picking up a black sx koup =)

Sorry if there's already been a thread like

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
if you're planning on picking up a black SX then dont leave til you have a black sx. know what you want before you go in and you do. also, dont act like you're in love with the car. as soon as you do, the dealer knows that you'll settle for a higher price and he wont work as hard to get the sale, so dont act like you want it now. if you have to walk, then walk. i promise you theyll call you an hour or 2 later offering what you want. :) other than that, good luck

with that, be reasonable with what you wanna pay for it. :)

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
they might ask for something like a pay stub. bring a current one with you. they asked me for one during financing paper work n such.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,906 Posts
Buy when the new year models come out, dealers will want to get the "old" models off the lot (more incentives), Shop around in January -- dealers don't like inventory and this is usually a slow month for sales, if you can't wait for those times shop at the end of the month -- dealers may have a quota that they need to meet. If they meet the quota they may be excited and be easier to deal with -- on the other hand, they may not have met their quota and will be desperate for a sale...LoL! You picked a good time to start thinking about a new car...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just adding to the great posts above, being an ex-car salesman. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Meaning that you should go on edmunds.com and find out the dealer invoice(what the dealer paid) and add a $100-200 to that price as the price you are
going to buy the car for. Any dealer add ons are B.S. and you need to make clear that you won't pay for ANYTHING extra on the car(even it you want it don't tell them that) You have the rest of your life to love the car you are buying. DON'T ACT LIKE YOU LOVE THE CAR!!!!! The first thing a salesman is taught in "car school" is 'if you can make the customer fall in love with the car then anything else matters little including price"!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. Oldiesradio, do you know an equivelant of edmunds for canadians? I live in vancouver and isn't edmunds jusrt for american pricing?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Oldiesradio, do you know an equivelant of edmunds for canadians? I live in vancouver and isn't edmunds jusrt for american pricing?
carcostcanada.com

You have to pay for it though. But it's totally worth the price imo.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Buy when the new year models come out, dealers will want to get the "old" models off the lot (more incentives), Shop around in January -- dealers don't like inventory and this is usually a slow month for sales, if you can't wait for those times shop at the end of the month -- dealers may have a quota that they need to meet. If they meet the quota they may be excited and be easier to deal with -- on the other hand, they may not have met their quota and will be desperate for a sale...LoL! You picked a good time to start thinking about a new car...

Shop in January and I will guarantee you will be looking at 2011, as dealers are already scrambling to get 2010 SX models. Trust me I am a dealer and I have one and get calls on it daily.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks manoi. Anyone know a free site to check prices out haha
im in almost the exact same situation as you man. I just started a new job and have been looking at a few cars: genesis coupe/vw gti/forte koup/mitsubishi lancer gts

i did see these jryan604 but its only for manual SX/ im trying to find the price for a automatic SX, how much more would I have to add?

this pic is from one car cost canada i believe. i found it in another thread posted here

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
the automatic transmission is around 1000 to 1500$ cdn more than the manual (on 2009 model)
the best is to check with a dealers.
I suggest to see more than 1 kia dealer.

In my case I see 2 dealer and one was more expensive. So look carefully

·
Registered
316 Posts
Pay for carcostcanada.

You get updated reports so it's not like you're missing out. CCC removes all the smoke and mirrors that the dealers/manufacturers have. For example Kia currently has the "we make your first 3 payments".....well not really. They have a discount of ~1000 and it's 90 days no pay. CCC saved me a lot of money, i went in and said "i'll buy today if i get it at wholesale + 4%, less these factory incentives" at first they were like "no we can't do that, that doesnt represent how much these lights cost, or how much we pay the mechanics"

I replied with, oh well, over at mazda they said they'd sell me a mazda3 somewhere between 3 and 5%. I walked out and drove over to the mazda dealership, while there they called me on my cell and told me they could do the deal.

I get in and they had the price......then added admin fees and PDI fee. I started out the door and they said "well we can wave those".

In the end i got a KOUP EX for about $1200 less than the listed price.

Long winded up in short....that $40 subscription to CCC saved me a lot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks! Do I need to bring paper work, like paystubs or anything?
Personally, I wouldn't bring in your pay stub. It'll give you a reason to leave if you are getting pressured. They still might not need it though.

Just remember that they will try everything to test you to see if you bite. Don't be afraid to say no, and don't be afraid to walk away. Also, get everything in writing. They may say "Yeah, we'll get that in writing for you" but make sure you follow up b/c they will 'forget'. You really have to push for stuff like that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'd suggest going to a bank first and getting pre-approved on a loan. They may try to pull what my dealer did and say i wouldn't qualify for low interest rates so i might as well buy a pre-owned car.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Some good info in here, I've yet to buy a brand new car (always bought used) but was considering since Kia have their special on financing this month.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.