Kia Forte Forum banner

C&D Reviews the Forte 5.

6K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Joechicklets 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Well, I haven't driven the Mazda so I can't make a head to head comparison but in nearly two months with my five door SX, I wouldn't change a thing. The storage is perfect for my uses when I go grocery shopping as I don't have to bend down as far and it has more than adequate room. As to the handling, I'm not racing it but I haven't seen anything that can corner with me at the speeds I drive. Some hot shots in the neighborhood like to run up my tailpipe but when I go around this sharp curve they are like nailed to a fencepost. The power, comfort and handling suit me just fine. I don't view this as a wagon but as a hatchback.

#7 ·
I had a loaner Mazda 3 while my RX8 was in for repairs (which was very often). The 3 was fun to drive, but the road noise on the highway was a deal breaker for me. Also, because of the horrendous reliability of my RX8, I did not look at Mazdas when I needed to trade in my BMW 528i. I originally thought I would end up with the new Optima, but I really liked the Forte 5. Mine has a manual, which is a big plus for me, and I thought the design both inside and out is very good. The car is fun to drive and has plenty of power. It seems well made and I'm happy with my choice.

#10 ·
The Forte5 is funky looking, and while it's competitive based on value, it doesn't have the performance to match the top selling cars in the hatch segment - Mazda3, VW GTI, etc.

#13 ·
I looked at the Jetta wagon TDI and the GTi. I love the GTi, but can't stand the base plaid fabric seats. For 2011, to get leather, you have to spend over $5k in options. This put the price around $31k, which was too much. The Jetta wagon is a great car, but was $8k more than the Forte. I'm using the Kia for work, so price was a big issue and it's an excellent car for around $20k.

#15 ·
I think the Forte 5 personally looks nerdy. It's too much a wagon like the M3.
When I think Hatch I think Civic SI hatch or Focus both of which are only in europe.

That said I think the Forte 5 is a great attempt by Kia to a competitive market. VWs generally carry a premium over Asian products (at least here in Canada).

I think if you get the Forte 5, tint it, get some 18" with skirts or lower it. Give it a badass exhaust and you got yourself a very sporty looking hatch that won't break the bank. Yes I said hatch because when you lower or get bigger wheels it just completely changes the stance.

I've driven a Mazda 3 when I was car shopping and depending on trim I like how it handles over the Forte family of car but like C&D said it's not worth the premium.

I don't get why C&D says the rear looks like a Mazda 3 when it looks clearly more like an Audi A3. Heck the whole car looks like a smaller A3.

#16 ·
I personally think that everyone is jealous that kia and hyndaui are the only car companies going positive in sales for the last 10 years. So you have these so called professional drivers driving these cars and being biased of course to try and ruin a successful and growing company.

#17 ·
2door hatch would have been better, like the focus zx3's this way its sporty and roomy.

I honestly dont like the looks of the 5door at all, would only look good if lowered and had a skirtpackage.

I wouldn't be suprised to see kia dropping the forte5 in a few years (heck maybe even when the 2.0turbo comes out in 2012/13 or the next generation fortes)

Matrix, Mazda 3, Ford Focus seem to have the sporty hatch wagon market covered pretty well.

#18 ·
I hate 2 door hatches, hence why I didnt like the earlier GTI's I like the functionality of 4 doors and the space of a hatch/wagon. This way my friends and family don't have to climb into the back seat.

And if KIA did drop the Forte5 they'd lose my business. I'm definitely one for the Hatch / Wagon segment of vehicles =P

And who said nerdy is a bad thing? I'm a proud nerd!

#19 ·
Nerds are smart and practical. No one said they can't be hot too. Ever see a hot chick in a glasses? Nerdy but still hot.

#20 ·
I see the audi influence on the rear not mazda. Mazda is more edgy(in a bad way) and well like the mazda 2 is just too ugly for my taste. The newer mazdas look CARTOON like.Like something you would see on those new weird cartoons shows .

personally i think the style that kia has now is a major step up. With aftermarket support the forte hatch can be one hot hatch .

#22 ·
I own a Mazda3, I enjoy it. But I definitely have nothing bad to say about the 5. And it looks way better than the Elantra Touring (now that is wagony), looks like the last gen lancer wagons.

I think Kia will do well with the 5. Like top gear said a few seasons ago, North Americans love hatchbacks.
I concur. It was odd that I even happened to get my Forte but I had seen the Elantra Touring a couple of weeks before that and liked it a whole lot but I was put off by the lack of the 2.4 engine and six speed transmission and the rear end treatment didn't exactly get my juices flowing. And the roof rails are useless except as an ornament on the outside of the vehicle. When I saw the Kia and drove it, I knew this was the one I wanted. In carefully reading over the literature, there are some small differences in wheel base and cargo capacity but it was insignificant. However, I did prefer the Elantra's dash display and the little cubbyhole in the middle of the dash as well as the cargo cover. But I will just "struggle through" with my purchase. And the dealer met the book values which the Hyundai dealer did not.

As an aside, the final sales figures for the auto manufacturers are out today. I always go to "Ward's Automotive Data" to get the actual numbers. All of the companies have now reported the year's data.

#24 ·
Do you mean Ward's automotive data? Just google that in and read it in Excel or if you don't have that software just download OpenOrg which is free. I also like the inventory data as well.

Yes, the warranty is a big plus. No bills for five years, except maintenance. Hard to beat. And then again, I haven't had any warranty issues yet on either car. These are damned good cars; make no mistake about it.

#25 · (Edited)
Count me as another who wishes they'd make a 3-door. Have loved the previous hatch capabilities of my Acura RSX and Toyota Celica.

I'm mainly interested in the Koup, but that trunk is just so tiny.

The 3's lackluster fuel economy and that goofy grin up front are turnoffs.

I like that the Forte's 6speed manual keeps the revs relatively low at highway speeds whereas most competitors are buzzing above 3k in 5 speeds.

A Mini Cooper is still a strong competitor for me, but it would have to be light on their numerous options to compete price wise.

#27 · (Edited)
Well I'm only concerned with highway mileage with manual transmissions since I have a 55mile one way all highway commute. Officially anyway, Mazda3 is at 28 and Forte(SX) is at 32.

I currently manage to squeeze 38-40 out of my Celica on that drive despite being rated at 34. Generally get better than epa mileage on that drive for the various cars I've driven, so would hope that to continue to hold true for the Forte as well since others are reporting 36-38mpg with the 2.4 and 6 speed manual. 80mph is around 2500rpms, gotta love that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.