Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys!
i have question!
so i find out that my car have a sticker that saying it is CA emission aprooved or whatever it is mean,but i live in MD so would it make any difference in my emission test if i get solo-performance cat-back exhaust and possible HFC and CAI? and would HFC fit?any issues in MD inspection with HFC?
thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey,

To figure out if you have the SULEV(Cali emission) or ULEV.. Pop open your hood and look in the driver side top right part of your hood. It should say weather you have one or the other.

I've heard that TK's HFC doesn't work with the SULEV's, but the SOLO on the other hand do.

I too was surprised when I found out that I have the SULEV version.. I live in MA -_-

·
Registered
637 Posts
The easiest way to figure out if you have a cali or federal emissions forte is to look under the car and see if the cat has an o2 sensor in the side of it. If it has the o2 sensor then it's a federal emissions forte, if no o2 then it's cali. Take a pic and send it to me on facebook. On fed or cali a hfc will not throw a code and will pass inspections, if you have a cali forte only solos hfc will work, while if you have a federal emissions you can use solos or turbokits hfc. A cat back exhaust has nothing to do with emissions on either car so you are fine there. I know Cali fortes have some type of extra filter in the intake and I'm not sure how all that works but you will have no problems with a CAI on a federal emissions forte and wouldnt think it'd matter on the cali emissions.

Reactions: jonrob09

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
Hey,

To figure out if you have the SULEV(Cali emission) or ULEV.. Pop open your hood and look in the driver side top right part of your hood. It should say weather you have one or the other.

I've heard that TK's HFC doesn't work with the SULEV's, but the SOLO on the other hand do.

I too was surprised when I found out that I have the SULEV version.. I live in MA -_-
Massachusetts and New York require their cars to be 50 state emissions legal. Bought my previous car in Foxboro and had no choice :/

·
Registered
51 Posts
Massachusetts and New York require their cars to be 50 state emissions legal. Bought my previous car in Foxboro and had no choice :/
Ahhh Shucks!! but i was thinking about getting ARK's test pipe... Am I going to run into any trouble with inspection?

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
Ahhh Shucks!! but i was thinking about getting ARK's test pipe... Am I going to run into any trouble with inspection?

Possibly. Their emissions testing was rough. If the tech notices it's an aftermarket part he/she might fail it immediately. Some take the time to do a thorough visual inspection, some don't.

Anyone else currently in MA that can speak up? I moved south 5 years ago.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just save the stock cat for inspections once a year. It takes like 30 minutes from jacking up the car to putting it down to switch out the cat if you've done it before. If you can change you're own oil you can swap out a cat. The first time will be a little more difficult because the nuts will be rusted on but after that initial time you can use hand tools to get the nuts off.

Reactions: nitebleu

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve noticed that with replacement cat back systems like Walker they list them as federal only. Is there a hardware difference between the resonator pipe and muffler from CA to fed?
I’ve done well with walker quiet flow SS and Yes I’m looking stock replacement, I’m an Uber/Lyft driver so no loud exhausts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts