Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been running a CAI intake since day 1 @ about 35miles total on the vehicle. I now have just under 300mi on the car and every once in a great while I hear like popping noise that sounds like it is comming right from the intake and feels/sounds like a very light backfire. Is anyone else experiencing this? When I say once in a while I mean it has probably happened a total of 5-10 times now. Should I be worried? I never really drove the car with the stock air box on so I don't know if it will do it with it installed and it happens so infrequently I know it will be hard for me or the dealer to replicate. What should I do?

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I'd suggest putting the stock intake back on and driving it for another 300 miles. If it happens with the stock airbox you know it's not because of your CAI. You made the CAI yourself right?

·
Registered
453 Posts
what did you do with the air box, where the stock air filter sits in?

·
Registered
453 Posts
nevermind eric i saw that you already posted it in another thread

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Yea, these Fortes tend to back-fire some... Your issue is not unique... Even after all the updates, my Forte still back-fires every so often.

·
Registered
139 Posts
its not a backfire, its the intake. You can replicate the noise easily sitting in your driveway. Asked the KIA tech the other day actually about that as i was wondering myself. Its just so loud its confused for a backfire now and then.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
its not a backfire, its the intake. You can replicate the noise easily sitting in your driveway. Asked the KIA tech the other day actually about that as i was wondering myself. Its just so loud its confused for a backfire now and then.
Can you explain in better detail when you say "it's the intake"... are you saying that the airflow coming into the intake is so great that it creates a pop-ing noise?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes. At times its a low puff, other times can be a louder pop. I didnt ask for many more details as i was satisfied with knowing it wasnt impacting my car mechanically.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
yes i have experience this with tk cai i actually like it lol but this might give you an answer on the stock airbox gave way for a restriction with a cai theres no restriction just straight pipe to ther throttle body our cars are running rich plays a roll also hav you ever checked your tail pipe always stays black dont it?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have the issue with both setups, stock and TK CAI. You can just hear it very clearly with TK CAI since it's a shorter and larger intake pipe and filter. The first TSB fix for the intake popping noise didn't fix it and I haven't gotten around to getting the second TSB in May regarding the popping noise done yet.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
So it is a backfire, right? or should we call it the "poping noise"

·
Registered
576 Posts
I haven't experienced any popping or back fire issues with my home made CAI and that is a short 3 1/2' pipe and fits just under the battery shelve.

·
Registered
202 Posts
mmmm I mite not get the CAI now, I don't want that to happend to my car, what if the dealer gives me problems cuz of it?? now I'm thinking about this

·
Registered
973 Posts
I haven't experienced any popping or back fire issues with my home made CAI and that is a short 3 1/2' pipe and fits just under the battery shelve.
why are you running the tubular hosing from the air dam to the box instead of the fabric hose stuff that helps filter water out of the air box?

·
Registered
407 Posts
This "popping noise" is a know issue with Kia Dealers, there is a TSB out for it!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts